Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGrizzyCappy
Explorer of Mind and Matter

Loc: TX - USA
LSD - from Albert Hoffman to you and me. How?
    #7031749 - 06/10/07 09:41 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

How did acid really make it's way into our hands? Started with Albert, then suddenly the CIA played with it. Then the army played with it in Edgewood.

At what point did it escape and get into the hands of the public, to hit our heads?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAcyl
cyanidepoisoning
Male User Gallery

Loc: N.W.T.
Re: LSD - from Albert Hoffman to you and me. How? [Re: GrizzyCappy]
    #7031757 - 06/10/07 09:43 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

When the first synthesis was published is when it became available to the world.

There isnt a stock supply of acid :lol:

--------------------
:scrambled:

1 ,2

InvisibleGrizzyCappy

Re: LSD - from Albert Hoffman to you and me. How? [Re: Acyl]
    #7031781 - 06/10/07 09:48 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I didn't know it was published. I though the recipe was a guarded secret that somehow may have been let out by someone in the military or something.

InvisibleGrizzyCappy

#7031791 - 06/10/07 09:51 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I was hoping for more than that, too.
For instance, WHY and WHO decided to take it on and do it for us?
I know it flowed like water with the Dead - what's the connection there? Many many other people in this world, many bands, circles, even cartels - yet noone makes acid?

Just a trip. I mean...where did the acid I ate yesterday really come from?

InvisibleAcyl
cyanidepoisoning
Male User Gallery

#7031794 - 06/10/07 09:52 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

The CIA didnt know about LSD till long after it was actually synthesized.. It was YEARS after.

The synthesis was available as early as the 40s id guess.

--------------------

1 ,2

OfflineStreetFreak
smellin' like a plant

Loc: locked in a place where n...
    #7031799 - 06/10/07 09:53 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Chemists are amazing huh? :grin:

InvisibleAcyl
cyanidepoisoning
Male User Gallery

#7031803 - 06/10/07 09:54 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

GrizzyCappy said:
I was hoping for more than that, too.
For instance, WHY and WHO decided to take it on and do it for us?
I know it flowed like water with the Dead - what's the connection there?  Many many other people in this world, many bands, circles, even cartels - yet noone makes acid?

Just a trip.  I mean...where did the acid I ate yesterday really come from?

Chemists with nothing better to do. :grin:

Noone makes acid? what..?

--------------------

1 ,2

OfflineItzpointless
eh...
Male
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ATL
    #7031831 - 06/10/07 10:03 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

The govt funded testing throughout many hospitals and universities. And some of the earliest recreational use was a result of some of the lab or univ students taking some for themselves and a close group of friends. Many of the chemists and students also began having small get togethers which eventually grew and grew and began leaking down into the normal population..thus beginning the lsd movement :smile:

--------------------
Existence is no longer a riddle to be solved, but a mystery to behold.

OfflineItzpointless
eh...
Male
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ATL
    #7031834 - 06/10/07 10:04 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

id recommend reading Acid Dreams. Great read with some amazing facts and history on our beloved chemical.

--------------------
Existence is no longer a riddle to be solved, but a mystery to behold.

Invisibledutchmushroom
mushroom invader
Male User Gallery

Loc: Outer Space
Re: LSD - from Albert Hoffman to you and me. How? [Re: Itzpointless]
    #7031958 - 06/10/07 10:31 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

it tells all about it in the book "lsd my problem child" by albert hofmann,

i strongly recommend this book, heres a link to it online: http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online/lsd_my_problem_child/index.shtml

peace out Dm

--------------------
"Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand says: don't you see? Gotta make it some how, on the dreams you still believe, Don't give it up, you've got an empty cup, only love can fill, only love can fill" < Grateful Dead!

The bus came by and I got on, and thats when it all began

GROWLIGHT KIT, 250w HPS Digital ballast, + Enhanced Spectrum bulb and Reflector Sale Or Trade!

Offlinenightkrawler
explorer
Male

Loc: new england
    #7032042 - 06/10/07 11:02 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

well the government was giving it to people and observing them on it. ken kesey, merry prankster and author of one flew over the cuckoos nest, had a big role in spreading it. he was a security guard at hospital if i recall and he would steal a bunch and he would give it to all his friends. that's when the merry pranksters started. trippin at keseys house in his day-glo covered woods. drivin around in their magic bus. holding the acid tests when it was legal and they would pass out flyers to where the tests would be and people would show up and drink the spiked kool aid in this totally tripped out environment. the dead was the house band for the acid tests too. i just recommended you the book on the dead, long strange trip, but i'm gonna have to recommend this one too, electric kool-aid acid test. people have said that it's not really best account on the merry pranksters, as apparently the pranksters thought the author of the book was a narc when he was with them, but it's the most mainstream book on the subject, and either way, i highly recommend it.

neal cassady is pretty wild, i'm sure you'll get a kick out of him if you don't already know him. he's in both books i just recommended to you. if you've read on the road by jack kerouac, neal cassady is dean moriarty.

that's the west coast side of the whole thing. they were going wild with it, while on the east coast you had people like tim leary and richard alpert introducing people to it. they went about it in very different ways though. on the west coast they were tripping and having fun with day glo paint, running around, being wild. while on the east coast tim leary was more serious about it. taking it in a more serious fashion and meditating and whatnot. it was done more in the way of science i guess you could say with tim leary and his crew on the east coast.

--------------------

Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien

Edited by nightkrawler (06/10/07 11:09 PM)

OfflinechairmanK
devotee ofTezcatlipoca
Male

Loc: San Francisco, CA
    #7032178 - 06/11/07 12:03 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I didn't know it was published. I though the recipe was a guarded secret that somehow may have been let out by someone in the military or something.

Oh no, that's not how scientific research works. You're funny!

Methods to synthesize LSD are not secret at all. If you want, I can obtain a fascimile of the first published synthesis of LSD from my university library. (It may take a month or two.) Or, you can find a more recent synthesis by Shulgin in tihkal.

The synthesis of LSD is not difficult if you have the right training and equipment. But only a tiny fraction of the people in the world have the right training (i.e., a doctorate in organic chemistry), and the right equipment is hard to come by unless you're gainfully employed in a legitimate laboratory. So at first, LSD was available only only to professional chemists and their colleagues.

Think about how rare computers were in the 1950s. Nobody had a personal computer. But this was simply due to the scarcity of expertise and resources (computers were horribly expensive back then), not the result of any deliberate decision to keep computers "secret" from the public. If you were a super-geeky engineering student in the 1950s, you could probably get the blueprints for a computer and build one in your garage. Likewise, before governments started to restrict LSD, any clever graduate student could read the journals and figure out how to make LSD in their spare time. Nowadays, of course, there are controls put in place to make it very difficult and risky.

Please do not attempt the synthesis on your own. Not only it is illegal, but more importantly, Bad Things can happen if you don't know what you're doing.

Edited by chairmanK (06/11/07 12:04 AM)

OfflineTheEric
Stranger

Re: LSD - from Albert Hoffman to you and me. How? [Re: chairmanK]
    #7032858 - 06/11/07 09:30 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

im about half way through the electric kool aid acid test and it has explained a few of the questions you asked and is an amazingly fun read

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
    #7032865 - 06/11/07 09:33 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

go to Other Drugs Discussion, go to the search box, type in "crystal to blotter", open thread, go to the first page/post, and begin reading...many of your questions will be answered and more than you currently hold

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

Offlinedirtworshipper
Sitting in the heart cave
Male User Gallery

Loc: at The Guru's lotus feet
Re: LSD - from Albert Hoffman to you and me. How? [Re: demiu5]
    #7032903 - 06/11/07 09:46 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

i just love chemistry

=D

and i second the reading of the electric kool aid acid test.
amazing book.
written superbly

--------------------

“You've got as many lives as you like, and more, even ones you don't want.” - George Harrison

InvisibleEllisDSox
King Hella!

#7033408 - 06/11/07 12:35 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

It was bound to spread, since a lot of the people who were given it while it was legal became acid missionaries of sorts. Aldous Huxley, Al Hubbard, Timothy Leary and Ken Kesey are your chief culprits here. With the exception of Kesey, they all came across it through psychiatric rather than military use.

Kesey was given LSD and other psychedelics in drug trials at a mental home, along with Robert Hunter who wrote lyrics for the Dead. They later found out this was funded by the CIA. Ken Kesey and friends, known as the Merry Pranksters held acid tests which spread it very rapidly.

Aldous Huxley was administered mescaline and LSD by the psychiatrist Humphrey Osmond and wrote "The Doors of Perception" and "Heaven and Hell", publicising the effects of these substances. The books are essentially very long and well written trip reports.

Al Hubbard, despite having connections to American intelligence agencies most likely genuinely believed in the beneficial effects of LSD and dosed pretty much everyone he encountered for many years, spending somewhere around $300,000 doing so.

Timothy Leary initially used psychedelics in controlled experiments but later told everyone to "Turn on, tune in and drop out". Despite all the media hype about Leary, he wasn't so great an influence on your average LSD user as has been claimed.

The natural reaction when you have a mind blowing religious experience is to tell everyone about it, so LSD was sure to spread. It had around 10 years of legal (and military) use before it really exploded around 1966/1967.

--------------------
Disclaimer: If you have any kind of heart condition, my posts are not for you. You could literally die from reading the first couple of words in any one of them. Scroll down the page, live your life and prosper, but don't read my posts because your heart will probably explode. I am not joking.

Offlinelsd25icu812
Stranger
Male

Loc: United States
Re: LSD - from Albert Hoffman to you and me. How? [Re: EllisDSox]
    #7033494 - 06/11/07 12:57 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

he was a security guard at hospital if i recall and he would steal a bunch and he would give it to all his friends.

he was actually a patient there being tested on....

as far as who took it on to start making and distributing it. Stanley owsley was the first under ground chemist to produce clean pure underground LSD and it was spread largely threw the grateful dead network and family. owsley was also the grateful deads sound guy. as far as Leary and ram dass they started of with mushrooms and then synthesized psilocybin and then LSD which they were getting from owsley. so basically... grateful dead family What! hehe

--------------------
love is what is left when you"ve let go of everything you love

InvisibleEllisDSox
King Hella!

Re: LSD - from Albert Hoffman to you and me. How? [Re: lsd25icu812]
    #7033520 - 06/11/07 01:04 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

he was actually a patient there being tested on....

Well, he was both. First a volunteer for tests, then he got a job at the hospital.

--------------------
Disclaimer: If you have any kind of heart condition, my posts are not for you. You could literally die from reading the first couple of words in any one of them. Scroll down the page, live your life and prosper, but don't read my posts because your heart will probably explode. I am not joking.

Offlinethehandtruck
Just ahead of me

Re: LSD - from Albert Hoffman to you and me. How? [Re: EllisDSox]
    #7033550 - 06/11/07 01:15 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

People. It travels through people. A person makes it, a person buys it, a person distributes it, and those people distribute it to us. The great thing is, if you were to trace it back far enough, you would get to that one magical person. It's all connected.

Offlinewireless
Thizziswhatis
Male User Gallery

Re: LSD - from Albert Hoffman to you and me. How? [Re: thehandtruck]
    #7033589 - 06/11/07 01:28 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

The synthesis of LSD is not difficult if you have the right training and equipment. But only a tiny fraction of the people in the world have the right training (i.e., a doctorate in organic chemistry), and the right equipment is hard to come by unless you're gainfully employed in a legitimate laboratory. So at first, LSD was available only only to professional chemists and their colleagues.

I don 't know why people have this misconception. You really don't need an organic chemistry doctorate if you want to make LSD. You need about 2-3 years of undergraduate chemistry at the access to some precursors.

http://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/index.html#lsd

There is a link to many ways you can make LSD even without diethyamide. It's really not that hard as long as you have a couple years of college level chemistry under your belt and still have a grasp of what all the terminology is. If you took a class at a JR college to refresh I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to get started.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains