Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAlan_M
Stranger

Mushrooms growing in the wrong places!?
    #7026613 - 06/09/07 01:28 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Hello, I'm new to this mushroom growing malarky so i've started with a mushroom kit to grow my B+ mushrooms.

The kit came with a bag that was cut open after it was colonised then placed in a bag with perlite. The bag was covered around the sides with tin foil; i assumed that this was to stop pins forming in the plastic round the sides which would then be trapped....unfortunatly this has happened.

My question is, what should i do about these mushrooms, they are caught below the plastic and i assume will eventually rot. Will this cause the whole thing to go tits up? i could attempt to remove them but am worried about contamination.

Another query is why they all seem to be coming out of the sides and not the middle, could this be because the the polymer layer on top is too thick? should i remove some?

i've attached a pic, but it doesn't help with the first question as i forgot to take a pic and dont want to man handle it too much.

[image]http://www.shroomery.org/forums/files/07-23/141703961-09_june.jpg]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepunkhardcore92
The navigator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Mushrooms growing in the wrong places!? [Re: Alan_M]
    #7026673 - 06/09/07 01:55 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

you'll always have mushrooms growing out of the sides, It just happends, Let em get good and ripe and you can usually fish them out without hurting your stuff to bad. Seems to me like its doing really good. I see some nice healthy pins, As for getting it to grow more in the middle? Im at at a loss. Its funny i usually even end up with mushrooms growing on the bottom of my containers that are just impossible to get to without destroying my casing, Im going to experment after this 4th flush is done flipping my casing over and fruiting the bottom lol.

--------------------
Guns, the only thing more dangerous is not having them.

Support the 2nd amendment or give up all your civil liberties.

Everything said by me is fiction.

Edited by punkhardcore92 (06/09/07 01:57 PM)

Offlinefish42
Cracker

Loc: northern hemisphere
Re: Mushrooms growing in the wrong places!? [Re: Alan_M]
    #7026682 - 06/09/07 01:59 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

the foil is reflecting light to the sides of your substrate, revealing an easier pathway for the mushrooms to take than through the casing layer. cover that plastic wrap with a black trash bag or something to block light from getting to the sides.

--------------------
Do you dare to feel responsible for every dollar you lay down
are you going to make the rich man richer
or are you going to stand your ground
You say you want a revolution
a communal evolution
to be a part of the solution
maybe I'll be seeing you around.

Invisiblelsg1
lsg1
 User Gallery

Loc: shoulders of giants
Re: Mushrooms growing in the wrong places!? [Re: fish42]
    #7026719 - 06/09/07 02:14 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

fish42 said:
the foil is reflecting light to the sides of your substrate, revealing an easier pathway for the mushrooms to take than through the casing layer. cover that plastic wrap with a black trash bag or something to block light from getting to the sides.

No, this is not the correct explanation. The reason for the pinning on the sides and bottom is that the remaining plastic around the bag is creating an excellent micro-climate, with extremely high humidity in the areas where the substrate is covered by plastic. This extremely high humidity is creating proper pinning conditions.

OP, some people put a piece of wax paper on top of the substrate, to initiate pinning. This serves the same purpose of creating a very high-humidity micro-environment at the substrate level.

--------------------
I'm interested in Kombucha cultivation!  Send me a kombucha baby, and I'll send you the cost of shipping.  I promise to give away at least 5 babies for every baby I receive this way. :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract