Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDrewwyann
Slayer of ticks
Male User Gallery

Loc: Atlantis
SSRIs and acid
    #7012679 - 06/05/07 05:18 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

i read in an article that SSRIs potentiate LSD, psilocybin and mescaline. is this true? it said that MAO inhibitors potentiated psychedelics because of their SSRI like properties, and it said that SSRIs potentiate them more.

can anyone clarify this?

--------------------

Anyone need a glass pipe? : http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002435158931

Love powerfully :peace::heart::peace:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTHEBats
FuturePsychopharmacologist
Male

Loc: Florida
Re: SSRIs and acid [Re: Drewwyann]
    #7013174 - 06/05/07 07:44 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

well seeing as all drugs mentioned effect the serotonin pathway it may very well increase the effects of said drugs. it could potentially make the drug last longer as ssri prevent the serotonin from being moved back into the axon. As far as I can tell lsd works with the serotonin receptors and chemically resembles serotonin so potentially it would remain in the synaptic gap longer. Not sure though so don't take my word for it.

Edited by THEBats (06/05/07 07:54 PM)

OfflineDrewwyann
Slayer of ticks
Male User Gallery

Loc: Atlantis
Re: SSRIs and acid [Re: THEBats]
    #7013241 - 06/05/07 07:59 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

well that sounds good but ill check up on it. I want to be sure that there are no bad reactions when taking anti-depressants and LSD. if anyone can clarify this it would let me rest a lot easier. my girlfriend is tripping with me this weekend and im 100% sure she can handle the expirience without having a bad trip. I just want to know if there is any reaction with SSRIs.

she took shrooms with them once so im assuming they are alright, but it was a rather low dose.

thanks to anyone who anwsers. :thumbup:

--------------------

Anyone need a glass pipe? : http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002435158931

Love powerfully :peace::heart::peace:

OfflineDeathCompany
Oneironaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in my head
    #7013257 - 06/05/07 08:03 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

SSRI's reduce trips greatly MAOIs potentiate it.

--------------------

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
    #7013259 - 06/05/07 08:03 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Nope, SSRIs will drastically reduce the effects of psychedelics. If you've taken an SSRI recently, you will need far more drug to achieve any effects. SSRIs selectively block the uptake of serotonin, so the molecule would have far more difficulty making it to the receptor sites. If you want to trip while on an SSRI, you're probably out of luck.

I would discontinue for at least a few weeks before trying to trip. Also, be careful tripping if you're on an SSRI, as it's probably being taken to help cope with difficult feelings, which any psychedelic would intensify.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

OfflineDeathCompany
Oneironaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in my head
Re: SSRIs and acid [Re: dblaney]
    #7013265 - 06/05/07 08:05 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

dblaney said:

I would discontinue for at least a few weeks before trying to trip.

yes 2 weeks is recommended. It might not be worth it.

--------------------

InvisibleEllisDSox
King Hella!

Re: SSRIs and acid [Re: DeathCompany]
    #7013273 - 06/05/07 08:06 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Studies show that selective-serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) type anti-depressants such as Prozac (Fluoxetine) and Zoloft (Sertraline) decrease the effects of LSD.

http://www.thegooddrugsguide.com/lsd/faq.htm

--------------------
Disclaimer: If you have any kind of heart condition, my posts are not for you. You could literally die from reading the first couple of words in any one of them. Scroll down the page, live your life and prosper, but don't read my posts because your heart will probably explode. I am not joking.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: SSRIs and acid [Re: EllisDSox]
    #7013428 - 06/05/07 08:37 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

While they seem to fit a nice hypothesis, those "Studies" consist mainly of self-reported survey data.

A major issue to consider is the length someone is on SSRI's: are we talking chronic, or acute dosing?

It is also interesting that while most of the antidepressants are thought to have the exact same clinical endpoint: increased serotonin; their effects on hallucinogens seemed to differ.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Offlinededjam
Electro Penguin
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Moralton, Statesota
Re: SSRIs and acid [Re: badchad]
    #7014811 - 06/06/07 07:06 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

1) Never discontinue a perscribed medication to take a psychedelic drug...not worth it...especially when we are talking about antidepressants, you could fuck yourself over REALLY bad.

2) SSRI's in combination with psychedelics seem to have different effects on everyone. Many people report reduced ability to trip, other report more. My wife is on EffexorXR, and needs less to trip harder than she did before she was on the drug, I have a few other friends who are like this. I also know a guy on lexapro that barely trips at all no matter how much he eats, but before he was on lexapro a few grams or hits would kick his ass.

Everyone is different, especially when we are talking about brain function. Thats why SSRI's are kinda scary...there is to much unknown. Some people they really do some good for, others they screw over. My wife is lucky, Effexor helped her out and she is getting off of it...ive had really close friends end up in the hospital for a long time due to SSRI's. /rant

OfflineRansford
Stranger

Re: SSRIs and acid [Re: dedjam]
    #7014923 - 06/06/07 08:41 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

i can tell you i was able to trip the same on a 300mg dose of welbutrin everyday. I had to take it for about 2 years till i was taken off of it, but during that time it didnt effect the ammoutn i had to eat at one time.

I am not sure if welbutrin is a ssri or not, but it believe it was and anti-depressent

OfflineAnotherDimension
Wanderer in the Land of the Lost

Loc: USA
Re: SSRIs and acid [Re: dedjam]
    #7017638 - 06/06/07 11:36 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

2) SSRI's in combination with psychedelics seem to have different effects on everyone. Many people report reduced ability to trip, other report more. My wife is on EffexorXR, and needs less to trip harder than she did before she was on the drug, I have a few other friends who are like this. I also know a guy on lexapro that barely trips at all no matter how much he eats, but before he was on lexapro a few grams or hits would kick his ass.

QFT. Do not tread lightly here. In direct opposition to what most report here (SSRI diminishing effects), I have witnessed SSRI increasing the effects drastically, and this in an experienced user. Afterwards, he quit tripping since he was unable to deal with even relatively small amounts.

And don't quit taking a medication to trip since that just complicates matters further. The best would be just to hold off until you are done with the medication. If you are on the medication for life, then you should be very cautious, especially at first.

--------------------
Another Dimension
---------------------------
"Come, and trip it as ye go,
On the light fantastick toe."

Offlinecrimsonblood
It's no fun tillsomeone dies
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sydney , Australia.
Re: SSRIs and acid [Re: AnotherDimension]
    #7017879 - 06/07/07 01:25 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

ive been taking lexapro for 3 months and recently did 3g of dried shrooms the effects were very subtle, still had a nice trip tho.

Offlinepsychonaut52
Stranger
Male

Loc: The Amazon Jungle
    #9911868 - 03/04/09 05:06 PM (15 years, 28 days ago)

I've been on 10mg of Lexapro for a little over a year now. Based on what I've read and confirmed by my experiences on LSD and LSA, I believe the effects to be somewhat reduced. I find that I generally don't trip as hard on acid as my friends who have taken the same quantity of the same batch. One time I took about 3 tabs and still didn't trip as hard as my friends who took about 2.5 tabs and aren't on SSRIs. However, the last time I tripped, I took 2 tabs of what is reported to be pretty strong acid, and I was tripping just as hard as my friend who took the same amount.

--------------------
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."
-Buddha

COGNITIVE LIBERTY NOW!

OfflineFloydRose
Weilii eyed
Male

Loc: US, Georgia
Re: SSRIs and acid [Re: psychonaut52]
    #9911883 - 03/04/09 05:10 PM (15 years, 28 days ago)

It always strikes me as odd that anyone who has eaten psychedelics would ever feel the need for that sort of medication.

But yes, SSRIs will diminish an acid trip.

--------------------
“It is true that my discovery of LSD was a chance discovery, but it was the outcome of planned experiments and these experiments took place in the framework of systematic pharmaceutical, chemical research. It could better be described as serendipity.”
-Albert Hofmann

OfflineDoomsDayJesus
Singularity

Re: SSRIs and acid [Re: psychonaut52]
    #9911902 - 03/04/09 05:13 PM (15 years, 28 days ago)

Not to sound overly critical but it does not sound like a good idea to take psychedelics if you are being treated for depression.

Invisiblepong
kretan
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: west coast
Re: SSRIs and acid [Re: FloydRose]
    #9911975 - 03/04/09 05:25 PM (15 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

FloydRose said:
It always strikes me as odd that anyone who has eaten psychedelics would ever feel the need for that sort of medication.

But yes, SSRIs will diminish an acid trip.

desparation drove me to the dumbass SSRI.

i was so fucked up.  but the SSRI just made me content being fucked up.

i realized this .... cus i think alot.

and quit immediately.  Now i can actually fix myself. i guess SSRI helped me because it showed me how useless and addictive it was.

IM DONE PURSUING ANY HELP OUTSIDE OF ME + LOVED ONES.

Im 21 Yrs old.  WTF is wrong with me if i have to take a pill to feel better?

I viewed SSRI as a way for me to become more like everyone else and happily just do what they are told.  It worked, but my gut feeling (that i always pay attention too) told me to stop i was astranged from myself with these meds.  i dunno if you have any bad side effects but i suggest doing serious thinking to make sure you dont. 

maybe use this trip to think about the issue of the SSRI and the pseudoHappines that comes about.

To the OP

please seriously consider stopping the medication.  not for tripping.  but forever.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate