Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Amanitas in PA!
    #699829 - 06/25/02 07:21 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Hello All...

Just thought I would share a recent and unexpected find with you all. This past weekend I was at my mother's house, which is in the middle of 52 acres of woods. She lives in NW PA, so I wasn't expecting to find any Psilocybes; but I was keeping my eyes open anyway.
I noticed many different types of strange and beautiful fungi that I have never really noticed before. None of them were active, but it was neat just to see a whole bunch of new things in woods that I have walked through many times before.
Anyway... On one of my walks I ended up getting turned around a little. I wasn't sure where I was for a second, and I was focusing more on finding my way home than finding any mushrooms; when suddenly I noticed a large, bright yellow mushroom sprouting beneath a small yellow birch tree. My heart jumped!
Upon closer inspection I concluded that it was indeed Amanita muscaria var. formosa, or the Yellow Fly Agaric. It was a beautiful yellow/gold color with the tell-tale warts on the cap. The veil looked as if it had just broken, and it hung loosely from the stalk.
This is the variety that I would expect to find in this area of the country, and it was growing under the expected type of tree. Later I found another large Amanita in another area of the woods.
Those were the only two that I found during all of my walks through the woods that weekend. I ended up eating both of them the night that I found them, as I thought they had the same hallucinogenic properties as Psilocybes.
I hadn't done any thorough research, which was a stupid mistake. I ended up with intense nausea for at least an hour after consuming, and I felt like I was almost going to puke several times. After the nausea, however, I felt happy for no reason and I had some very very minor CEV's. I also saw some nice tracers from my cigarette in the dark, but I'm not sure if they were normal or produced by the shrooms. Overall, I would not eat Amanitas again as the nausea was too unpleasant for the minor effects that they produced.
Just thought I would share my find, as I was very excited by it
Thanks for reading, and if anyone has any comments on Amanitas (especially the yellow variety) I would greatly appreciate it. Peace,

RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Amanitas in PA! [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #700211 - 06/25/02 10:37 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

what was your method of preparation?
nice find by the way.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Re: Amanitas in PA! [Re: canid]
    #700318 - 06/25/02 11:06 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

The only preparation I did was to rinse the dirt off them, chew thoroughly, and swallow. The bottom of the stems had holes in them so I cut those parts off.

I read somewhere afterwards that in order to get any effects from Amanitas, it is best to let them dry naturally, roll them into a ball and swallow without chewing. I wonder if this would have made anything different.

I was also interested to find that most places I read said that Amanitas do not start fruiting until August. Is it unusual to find them this early in the year? I also wonder if the Yellow Fly Agaric has different effects than the normal Fly Agaric.

Also, is it unusual to find these growing in the wild in PA? I recently read a book called The Cook Forest: An Island in Time which had two beautiful pictures of Fly Agarics growing. The Cook Forest is in PA as well.

Does anyone have experience with these mushrooms that they would like to share? Thanks,

RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Amanitas in PA! [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #700647 - 06/25/02 12:58 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

i usualy dry them in an open (for ventilation of water vapor) toaster oven at about 250f, with the door open it's more like 170f. the higher heat helps break down the ibotenic acid to create muscimol(sp?) the ibotenic acid seems to be what produces most of the nausia and my least favorite, the cold sweats. the muscimol is what gives the [desirable] synesthetic effects. drying this way will make it more enjoyable though some people still don't like them.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlinedeepr
the dancer

Loc: nzl
Re: Amanitas in PA! [Re: canid]
    #701935 - 06/25/02 09:03 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

amanita muscaria var. formosa (the yellow ones) give you nausea more frequently... ill post some pics up of my baby amanitas that im going to collect tommorow, amanita muscaria var. muscaria....

OfflinestinkynuTs
journeyman
Loc: MN, USA
Re: Amanitas in PA! [Re: deepr]
    #702633 - 06/26/02 07:48 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Yellow amanita muscaria is said to have more ibotenic acid then red amanita muscaria.

--------------------
"Remember, almost everything that the former primitive religions called spiritual, you can redefine as being measurable right now by our level of equipment." ---Leary

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom