Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemrmackey
aesthete

Help! miracle grow perlite sucks!
    #6996114 - 06/01/07 03:30 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I'd read a few posts questioning mg perlite, I picked some up by accident, turns out after a week of incubation i've got a lawn of crap, i had transfered pf cakes, wbs/rez cased with peat/verm and jungle bed spawns. The casings seem safe, all colonized except after a week no pins, cakes are fruiting without contams.

My questions are: first do you think my stuffs alright and second what can I do besides replace 40qts of perlite.

I've already secured the cultures for temporary perposes, opened the lids and added some peroxide, is lysol safe in fc's?

Help!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Help! miracle grow perlite sucks! [Re: mrmackey]
    #6996137 - 06/01/07 03:35 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

ive used the same perlite.  no major problems.

once noticed a bit of green fuzzy stuff growing, which i later identified as actually being algae, not a mold.  not sure what your "forest of crap" might be. :smile:

peroxide is going to be useless here.  lysol is NOT safe in your FC.  a very small amount of bleach does the trick in keeping it "clean" however.  you'll probably have to remove the perlite you have, rinse it out, and soak it with bleach water (not a lot of bleach, like 5% bleach to 95% water is plenty.)  drain, and replace in your terrarium... bleach residue and all.  your terrarium might smell like a hotel swimming pool for a day or two, but no harm done.

Offlinemrmackey
aesthete

Re: Help! miracle grow perlite sucks! [Re: creamcorn]
    #6996160 - 06/01/07 03:41 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks creamcorn, but a bleach wash would still give me the possible problem of regrowth. You say its not a problem and, if B+ has already colonized the substrates and casings I should not have a contam issue, right?

And I've noticed drips of metabolites on the tops of all of my casings.

I appreciate the help but the fuzz makes me nervous.

Offlinemrmackey
aesthete

#6996169 - 06/01/07 03:43 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Oo, and if I already put some isopropyl on the heavy patches are things still alright?

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6996187 - 06/01/07 03:50 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

well, it depends what is actually growing. there's really no food for molds in the perlite (fertilizer alone is not a nutrition source for mold)... but on the other hand, mix moisture, humidity, warmth, fertilizer, and light... and you can end up with algae growth. (it comes from tap water!)

at any rate, full colonized substrates can hold their own pretty well. fresh air exchange within your FC will also help keep contaminates to a minimum. you of course don't want them sitting on or next to a giant growth of mold, but like i mentioned above you might not have a mold at all.

couldn't even tell you for 100% certain if the bleach kills algae, or if it was coincidental on my part. but i've only seen it happened once, scooped out the area the fuzzy stuff was growing on and threw it out, then have used a little bleach in my perlite like i described ever since, and have never seen it come back... so take that for what its worth. i can tell you that the alternatives are useless: peroxide breaks down in the presence of air; perlite has high surface area, which exposes moisture on it to lots of air. its about as useful as pouring your peroxide down the toilet.... there's no feasible way to treat it in any long lasting manner with alcohol, and specialty treatments like lysol often contain chemicals that will damage and/or mutate your grow.

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6996190 - 06/01/07 03:52 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

mrmackey said:
Oo, and if I already put some isopropyl on the heavy patches are things still alright?

yes, alcohol will evaporate pretty quick (hence my mention above as it not being a very long lasting solution). next time take a simpler approach - scoop out the heavy patches and discard. (we are still talking about growth on your PERLITE and not your GROW right?)

Offlinemrmackey
aesthete

Re: Help! miracle grow perlite sucks! [Re: creamcorn]
    #6996210 - 06/01/07 03:59 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Thats cool, its all hypothetical any way, its not that serious, I'd never bother with a real grow like some of you guys. However mushroom cultures are interesting from both a biological standpoint as well an anthropological view. But I'm really curious from a spectators perspective how much fertilized perlite would effect a fc and how much a colonized substrates can handle in terms of contams such as algae and molds.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix