Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePeace_Patrol
Rambling hippie
Loc: Electric Neverending
Need help ID'ing kiwi shrooms....
    #698987 - 06/24/02 07:02 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Hey all....
This post is mainly directed at Australians and New Zealanders....I need help with clarification of ID of some local shrooms. I mainly find two types of 'gold tops'. They are more or less identical, with a pretty typical subaeruginosa look. But one type (which I am cultivating at home) is wavy, and does not have a distinct sharp little nipple in the centre of the cap. The other kind I find is generally less wavy (just upturned when mature) and it has a sharp nipple on top which is quite hard to see but you can feel it.
So are these different species, or does subaeruginosa have variations of nipple and no nipple? Thanks for help.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedeepr
the dancer

Loc: nzl
Re: Need help ID'ing kiwi shrooms.... [Re: Peace_Patrol]
    #699149 - 06/24/02 08:09 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

photos... scanner?

Offlinedeepr
the dancer

#699157 - 06/24/02 08:11 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

could well be australiana, they are quite wavy and dont always have a nipple, although not usually so gold that ive found... and again no one can tell you anything meaningful without a photo.... they could be anything ;]
hey i know, send some up to me ;]

Offlineatoning_unifex
bovine entity

Re: Need help ID'ing kiwi shrooms.... [Re: deepr]
    #699264 - 06/24/02 08:55 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

ibe noticed the same thing....the smaller ones grow singly and the meatier one seem to grow in clumps?? if i get time ill try to scan a pic or 2...

--------------------
" time is a drug.... too much will kill you"

......Ballad of Atoning Unifex.....

At the age of 30 something
he realised
he'd never ride
through london
in a black cab
with weird drugs
in his veins......

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #699485 - 06/24/02 11:57 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Psilocybe subaeruginosa's have a wide variaety of shapes in their caps.

However, the name 'gold tops' is also applied to Psilocybe cubensis and also to Copelandia cyanesens inthe Hawaiian Islands. But P. subaeruginosa does not turn a gold color like cubensis do. OF course they dr4ied to a straw yellow.

However good luck on your pickings.

And not all caps become wavy.

That is a characteristic of several species of Psilocybe form around the world.

mj

OfflinePeace_Patrol
Rambling hippie
Re: Need help ID'ing kiwi shrooms.... [Re: mjshroomer]
    #701798 - 06/25/02 07:44 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks guys....found another MAMMOTH patch today of what I think are subs, they were BIG fuckers, we were very picky with our picking and only picked the biggest, 'text book' specimens, and still came away with 300! *big grins*
OK, how about I make this ID thing a little easier....does anyone have descriptions / ID guides / pics for the following species:
P. argentina, P. aucklandii, P. makarorae sp. nov., P. novae-zelandiae, P. semilanceata, P. subaeruginosa.
If so, post them. That would be fuckin excellent.

Offlinedeepr
the dancer

#701924 - 06/25/02 08:55 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

look at the pic next to my name, thats aucklandii, you live down in nelson tho right? if so then you wont be able to find this elusive fucker... even up here it hasnt been cold enough... the days are like summer, t-shirts and shorts weather.... pinch the subs that youve got, they should blue... ;] if not then youve got the wrong ones...

Offlinedeepr
the dancer

#701931 - 06/25/02 09:00 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

just reading bluemeanies post about the 2 1/4 inch sub... i remember when my friend came up and held this huuuggee aucklandii in her hot little hand, going is this one? it was about 15 cm in diameter, no kidding, it was beautiful... big blue lightning strikes all down its greeny gold top mmmmm...

OfflinePeace_Patrol
Rambling hippie
    #702056 - 06/25/02 11:30 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Dude,
You guys are talkin like I know jack-shit about shroom huntin. I have no trouble finding / identifying the shrooms as psilocybe shrooms, I just do not know the SCIENTIFIC names of these as I have not been able to aquire any decent pics / ID guides for our local shrooms. All I was wondering was do subaeruginosa have nipples or not, or can they have both? I just wanted to know if I was finding only subaeruginosa or other species as well.
And about those lightning bolts...I tend to avoid shrooms with them...those are the trails of bugs / worms just under the surface (well, I am assuming this as the ones with them tend to have bugs of some kind, seems logical)

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
    #702081 - 06/26/02 12:20 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I think that'd be sweet, if there were more pics of NZ species. One of the main problems is trying to distinguish between the shrooms I see in the field and comparing them in my mind with only one or 2 pics that have been on the internet. There also isn't a very detailed run down on the species like you see on Erowid for all the other major species. Anyone here have a good website dedicated partly or mostly to NZ shrooms? I've seen mjshroomer's page and that's pretty handy.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #702092 - 06/26/02 12:29 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Blue flecks could just be representative of the species - you are talking from your experience which may not be with Aucklandii. Subaeruginosa vary wildly - this is the reason there is so much contention about whether Australiana, Eucalypta, tasmaniana and Subaeruginosa are all one species or not as Subs can look like all of them.
Generally Australiana as identified microscopically, has orangish viscid caps, veil remnants, bluestaining on cap margin, crowded gills, high potency and is strongly umbonated as below. dries to a dull greyish mustard and is highly potent - NASTY shroom and my friends and I have given up on taming these:

A very similar species that macroscopically resembles ps.Cyanescens is this mushroom microscopically similar to both Australiana and Subaeruginosa: similar hydrophanous fading and great vibe and potency

here are classic Subaeruginosa - meaty and browm capped - note the similarities:

here is a reddish freak!!

The above differences are tended toward the microscopic although repeated bioassays always yield generally unpleasant experiences from Australiana both pysically and with much anxiety than fromthe other mushrooms - high doses of the wavy cap are always pleasant and without anxiety
Tasmaniana, Aucklandii have both been described as having brownish flesh
Semilanceata grows in manure and grasses - does not stain blue etc.... do a search for that one - its everywhere

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #702185 - 06/26/02 04:01 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

P. argentina does not grow in Australia and P. Nova-zealandii is not psychoactive.

mj

OfflinePeace_Patrol
Rambling hippie
Re: Need help ID'ing kiwi shrooms.... [Re: mjshroomer]
    #732732 - 07/08/02 11:38 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

BlueMeanie...Thanks for your pics / info, they are pretty helpful but I want morrreee! All of these shrooms are so similar they are difficult to decipher!
MJ....Do you have any info on any of those shrooms?
I got the species information from this site: http://www.rsnz.govt.nz/publish/nzjb/1995/82.php which isn't a very informative site just a summary of some abstract thing. I want to get my hands on that book or another book that will have NZ psilocybes in it. I have read your thing at erowid which is pretty good but I think if you got a few peoples input it could be updated really well, especially as far as documented locations, ID'ing etc. goes. I'd be happy to help with anything I can even send you prints of shrooms I find here. Also should be gettin some photos developed soon of subaeruginosa which I grew myself in a terranium setup.
So anyway, anyone have more info on these species of shrooms?

Edited by Peace_Patrol (07/08/02 11:53 PM)

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #5432706 - 03/23/06 12:43 AM (18 years, 1 day ago)

Hi Peace_Patrol :laugh:
Do a search for The New Zealand Journal of botany,go to the documents from 1995 and find Johnston and Buchanan's document,The genus Psilocybe(Agaricales)in New Zealand.The information you need is there,good luck with your identification and congrats on your finds :cool:
Also have a look at my posts,Unidentified Psilocybe from NZ and Another unidentified Psilocybe from NZ.Do any of your finds look like these?
:grin:inski :cool:

--------------------

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa
Re: Need help ID'ing kiwi shrooms.... [Re: inski]
    #5433010 - 03/23/06 04:34 AM (18 years, 20 hours ago)

Dude, that thread is 4 years old! Hahaha

OfflineSleepAid
me gusta
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Need help ID'ing kiwi shrooms.... [Re: zee_werp]
    #5435195 - 03/23/06 05:03 PM (18 years, 8 hours ago)

Hahaha, I think that's the biggest topic kick I've ever seen.

--------------------
Signature this, ho

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder