Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepoddypants
Junior Lab Tech

Loc: North America
Spores germinated after 24 hours?
    #6985472 - 05/30/07 01:23 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

The odds are against me - year old spores in a syringe that's been half-used at least 6 months ago, and kept in the fridge in a ziploc. Inoculated a few agar plates, and I see what I think is mycelium after only 24 hours!

I started this as a test to see which syringes I have are still good - all are at least a year old, so I'm sure many are full of bacteria and other goodies. I hear spores store better dried, so I'll probably be making more prints from now on (and remembering to mark them!).

This is only my second attempt at agar. I didn't let my plates dry at all, so I have condensation. I may have made my mix a little wet as well. I poured about 20 plates, and inoculated 12 with multiple strains. This one is F+, and the medium is plain MEA.

I took a picture from the bottom of a plate. What do you think? Remember this is almost exactly 24 hours of growth from inoculation.

** EDIT ** Here's after 36 hours:

Edited by poddypants (05/30/07 12:15 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Spores germinated after 24 hours? [Re: poddypants]
    #6985654 - 05/30/07 02:27 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

It resembles bacteria more than mycelium, at least from what I can see. The time frame indicates bacteria as well. If it's a milky/greasy growth, it's bacteria. Here's a dish with bacteria in the upper right section for comparison. The upper left section has satellite colonies, indicating possible molds, and the lower section s clean mushroom mycelium.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinepoddypants
Junior Lab Tech

#6985725 - 05/30/07 02:49 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Very nice example, thank you.  With lack of experience, I find it difficult to distinguish between the good and bad when it's all white.  They look so similar in some ways, and I'm thinking, "maybe that's just how this strain looks".  I think I'd have to agree with you though, given the time frame.  I've never seen 'good' mycelium grow so quick.  I will post back with what I see in another day or two.

I also started a few PF jars on different syringes, tho no glovebox.  I did ok before, but who knows - the syringes are still just as old.  Maybe next time around I'll start with fresh spores.  :wink:

Offlinepoddypants
Junior Lab Tech

#6985802 - 05/30/07 03:43 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I do see what you mean, after browsing more contamination pictures a bit.  That slimy stuff = bad, but the time frame is a giveaway in my case I think.  You can't see it in the picture, but the little white spots have a hairy/veiny look to them, which makes me think "ok".  The agar blurs that feature from the bottom side, and my camera can't see it.  I'll have a better look in another day or two when there's more to see.  I was just hoping to get something usable from all the stuff I've had in my fridge for the past year.  I dunno what I've been doing with it all this time :wink:

Meanwhile, a post I found with excellent pictures of Bacteria -VS- Mycelium in a grain jar: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6893942#Post6893942
I think I've seen this before in my own jars, in the bottom edges, and the pictures here really helped me to understand what I need to look for.

Offlinepoddypants
Junior Lab Tech

Re: Spores germinated after 24 hours? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6990006 - 05/31/07 01:42 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Turns out it was GREEN MOLD.  Couldn't see the green until it started producing spores.  Viewing from the bottom of the agar isn't all that great, but the second picture shows what I had a little better than the first.  I tossed already without taking any pictures of the green spots cause there's plenty of green mold pics around.

Guess I might have to order some fresh spores.  I want to try that glowing fungi....  :wink:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract