Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAkira
CosmicConsciousness
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hay Un Mundo Mas Alla
Bulk Steamer Pasteurizer Tek (Lots of Pics) * 7
    #6972036 - 05/27/07 12:34 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Ever dream about a way to pasteurize bulk amounts of substrate without putting all that much work into it?

A while ago I stumbled across an idea for a pasteurizer. The credit for the idea goes to Mycotopia. I have wondered for a while why I have not seen anyone (hardly anyone) use this here. I have altered the concept though.

My method is a combination of the system i picked up from Mycotopia, with a bag technique I picked up from Agar here on shroomery. For those of you who hate dealing with the dripping wet steaming pillow case method, this is definitely a good alternative.

I'm not going to hold your hand on a step by step procedure as it is already built. Be creative and build it in whatever method suits you best. Here is my Bulk Pasteurizing Tek.....

I went to Lowes and picked up a 50 Gallon Roughneck Tub.

I had one of these laying around so I decided to use this as my rack. Normal metal closet shelf.

Now this is the heart of the machine. You need to buy a 705 Model Wagner Power Steamer. They usually go for around 50 dollars.

Is that too expensive? No worries. I found a place that sells them rebuilt for $19.99!:eek: That's where I bought mine, works like new. Here is the link.;)
http://www.heartlandamerica.com/browse/item.asp?PIN=50148&

Here is what the Pasteurizer looks like.

You need a thermometer to check temperatures while pasteurizing. Just drill a hole in the middle of the lid and place your thermometer in center. regular meat thermometer works fine.

Now here is how I attached my Steamer to my tub. I used PVC attachments, cheap and effective as always.

In the inside I placed my rack. then I made a T shape with the PVC to bring from one end to the other of the tub. I also put to pieces of PVC as pillars to hold up rack when theirs a lot of weight.

I put PVC plugs on each end and then drilled a bunch of holes along the top of the PVC. This way steam is distributed evenly thought out the bottom layer of the tub.

Okay so once you have built your tub, you need to make your substrate bags. Here is the method I picked up from agar. You need  to buy some 2 MIL thick bags (Or I guess any bag suitable for the purpose that works). Uline sells them in quantities of 1000 for under $50.
http://www.uline.com/ProductDetail.asp?model=S-123&ref=154

Now you need to prepare your substrate. In this case I have some Casing I am pasteurizing. I like to pasteurize everything except grain jars, that you MUST sterilize. As you can see I use PH and Moisture meters to accurately measure exactly the results i desire. They're like $4 each at Lowes.

Then load up your substrate/casing into your bags and into your tub. Each bag can hold up to 6-8 quarts. This tub I'm using can hold 12 bags at a time. Here is a great post by agar on achieving proper moisture levels. This is very important.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=6799417&page=0&vc=&PHPSESSID=#Post6799417

I can pasteurize around 125-150lbs of substrate at a time with the sucker. It gets the tub to 165-170 degrees in about 30 minutes. all you have to do is fill up the reservoir tank every once in a while. Other than that you can just load up the bags, turn on your steamer and go watch some TV or read a book.:tongue2:

--------------------

Orissa India Bulk Grow (Tub Tek)
Bulk Steamer Pasteurizer Tek

"Our intention is our eternal fingerprint in the universe."

We know that God is good, and so are hamburgers and hot dogs. We know that hamburgers and hot dogs definitely do exist, so then by deduction of logic God too must also exist. Hamburgers + Hot dogs = God.... Duh

Edited by Akira (05/31/07 12:35 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineboneynerd
Mushway! EatFresh!
Male User Gallery

Loc: milkyway.usa
Re: Bulk Steamer Pasteurizer Tek (Lots of Pics) [Re: Akira]
    #6972116 - 05/27/07 12:54 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

badass

--------------------
"Your mama's grow was so contaminated, the shroomery got trich." :headbanger:
-SpitballJediS

"your a female, no one woulda cared you were naked,hell probably made someone's day, but I pull my balls out on a bus and im the bad guy.."
-Bishlap

OfflineJazzCatCF
Teo-nanacatl
Male

Loc: here today gone tommorow
    #6972745 - 05/27/07 07:35 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

nice work akira:thumbup:

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there it is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."

The Mazatec Wise Woman, Maria Sabina (1894-1985)

Offlinefish42
Cracker

Loc: northern hemisphere
Re: Bulk Steamer Pasteurizer Tek (Lots of Pics) [Re: JazzCatCF]
    #6972851 - 05/27/07 08:27 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

awesome. i'm running out of places to put 30-50 gallon tubs, though.

--------------------
Do you dare to feel responsible for every dollar you lay down
are you going to make the rich man richer
or are you going to stand your ground
You say you want a revolution
a communal evolution
to be a part of the solution
maybe I'll be seeing you around.

OfflineJustAHobby
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Bulk Steamer Pasteurizer Tek (Lots of Pics) [Re: fish42]
    #6974025 - 05/27/07 03:34 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

fish42 said:
awesome. i'm running out of places to put 30-50 gallon tubs, though.

Very true.

Please don't think I'm threadcrapping. I think this is a great idea that can also be improved and modified to suit each individual.

How are you sure that temperatures are even throughout? Is steam dispensed evenly, and thoroughly?

What if the entire tub were turned "on its side," i.e. a different tub that was taller than it was wide was used instead (steam rises, no?).

Are there any special sealing considerations you do for the PVC?

What safety concerns would the amateur be well advised to heed?

Are those bags the same material as "oven bags" or the filter patch bags available from Shroomery sponsers? Mods might get angry if you recommend a different supplier! Could pillowcases still be used?

Great start to a solid tek, looking forward to what this becomes!

OfflineAkira
CosmicConsciousness
Male User Gallery

Re: Bulk Steamer Pasteurizer Tek (Lots of Pics) [Re: JustAHobby]
    #6974065 - 05/27/07 03:48 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

JustAHobby said:

How are you sure that temperatures are even throughout? Is steam dispensed evenly, and thoroughly?

Because I also have an extra thermometer I use to check the internal temperatures of the bags. They all usually reach even internal temperature at the same time.

I've run this setup a few times now. Works a charm every single time, havnt had any contams in a very long time..

--------------------

We know that God is good, and so are hamburgers and hot dogs. We know that hamburgers and hot dogs definitely do exist, so then by deduction of logic God too must also exist. Hamburgers + Hot dogs = God.... Duh

OfflineCryogenicz
what?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #6974080 - 05/27/07 03:51 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

What size are those bags?

-Graham

--------------------
www.MycoPath.com
Mushroom Spawn, Cultures, Fungi Bags, Casings, Master Grain Jars, Bags for In-vitro, Laboratory supplies, and much more!
Mushroom Supplies. Fast Turnaround Times. Great Service.
orders@mycopath.com
enter code shroomery for 10% off product.

www.FungiForum.com

OfflineAkira
CosmicConsciousness
Male User Gallery

Re: Bulk Steamer Pasteurizer Tek (Lots of Pics) [Re: Cryogenicz]
    #6974093 - 05/27/07 03:56 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Cryogenicz said:
What size are those bags?

-Graham

http://www.uline.com/ProductDetail.asp?model=S-123&ref=154

--------------------

OfflineCryogenicz
what?
Male User Gallery

#6974095 - 05/27/07 03:57 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I mean - how much weight of substrate.

-Graham

--------------------
www.MycoPath.com
Mushroom Spawn, Cultures, Fungi Bags, Casings, Master Grain Jars, Bags for In-vitro, Laboratory supplies, and much more!
orders@mycopath.com

www.FungiForum.com

OfflineAkira
CosmicConsciousness
Male User Gallery

#6974117 - 05/27/07 04:00 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Oh lol.

Im not sure. But filling them to about 3/4 full takes 6-8 quarts. If I were to guess (and Im a pretty good weight guesser) Id say about 10-15 lbs each, depending on how much you filled them up. But Uline sells every size imaginable if your looking for something larger. They send me a catalog with my order and they sure do have a lot of interesting things.

--------------------

OfflineNo_Life_G33k
Now with 10%less noobness
 User Gallery

#6974271 - 05/27/07 04:48 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

mighty nice!!!!

Why do you use bags and not just heap the substrate in there???

I do straw in a large ice chest - there a link in my signature- would there be much difference between using a rubbermaid and using an ice chest???

I went with the ice chest because of the insulation, and because the drain is handy.

I've even used a Vicks steamer/humidifier with ok results, but the Wagner Power Steamer is next on my list.
Does a lot of steam escape during the run???

and do you 'pre-heat' the unoit at all???

The only 'difficult' part of the steamer set up for me was having to wet the straw so that the heat would transfer better. Soaking the straw seemed a big pain in the arse, and I ended up just using a spray bottle(a slightly smaller PIA), a pump up sprayer was a better route.

Overall, a great write up.

--------------------
Hot Water Pasteuriztion - A How To Pictorial
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4527808/an/0/page/0

Make your own shroom chocolates
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4500682/an/0/page/5

guide with pix.

Make Your Own Magnetic Stirrer! How-To Tek w/ pix
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5865949/an/0/page/3

Offlinejccc
just aotherhuman
 User Gallery

Re: Bulk Steamer Pasteurizer Tek (Lots of Pics) [Re: No_Life_G33k]
    #6974350 - 05/27/07 05:10 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Would it be possible to get a finer rack and sterilize bulk amounts of straw? not using the bags and letting the straw hydratte from the steam and be sterilized at the same time?

Invisiblethallus
Stranger thanyou

Loc: Hiding in Plain Sight
Re: Bulk Steamer Pasteurizer Tek (Lots of Pics) [Re: jccc]
    #6974388 - 05/27/07 05:23 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Nice work:thumbup:

OfflineCryogenicz
what?
Male User Gallery

Re: Bulk Steamer Pasteurizer Tek (Lots of Pics) [Re: thallus]
    #6974605 - 05/27/07 06:32 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Better route with straw is to boil water on the stove, and add it to straw in an ice chest.

--------------------
www.MycoPath.com
orders@mycopath.com

www.FungiForum.com

Offlinejccc
just aotherhuman
 User Gallery

#6974815 - 05/27/07 07:27 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

alright thanks im now finally having sucsess w/ grains

OfflineBlufNBrent
The Man

Re: Bulk Steamer Pasteurizer Tek (Lots of Pics) [Re: jccc]
    #6974975 - 05/27/07 08:09 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Great job man. Gonna have to try this when I move to bulk.

--------------------
Just 4 Laughs, I would not in anyway break state, local or federal laws.

InvisibleBacchus
Lurker
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ::1
Re: Bulk Steamer Pasteurizer Tek (Lots of Pics) [Re: BlufNBrent]
    #6975338 - 05/27/07 09:38 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Great idea. :mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:

Edited by Bacchus (05/27/07 09:38 PM)

Offlinebuddhahoodlum
Bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: Buddhahood
Re: Bulk Steamer Pasteurizer Tek (Lots of Pics) [Re: Bacchus]
    #6982625 - 05/29/07 03:36 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Good job akira that's crazy that you had the exact same idea as me except your's is more modded than mine. I also got this idea off of mycotopia and I thought it would work great for pastuerizing poo and maybe straw too what do you think? Thanks for the bag idea's I wasn't quite sure how I was going to do that but now you have given me some great tip's that I will def be using. Also you can't get the steamers from heartland america anymore because they are all sold out so instead I just bought mine from ebay and it's about the same price on there aswell.

--------------------
“I believe that water will one day be employed as fuel, that hydrogen and oxygen which constitute it, used singly or together, will furnish an inexhaustible source of heat and light, of an intensity of which coal is not capable.” – Jules Verne, T

“Ere many generations pass, our machinery will be driven by power obtainable at any point in the universe...it is a mere question of time when men will succeed in attaching their machinery to the very wheel-work of nature."
- Nikola Tesla

Edited by buddhahoodlum (05/29/07 03:55 PM)

OfflineAkira
CosmicConsciousness
Male User Gallery

Re: Bulk Steamer Pasteurizer Tek (Lots of Pics) [Re: buddhahoodlum]
    #6987791 - 05/30/07 03:55 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I see no reason why it should work with straw. As long as you chop it up finely I guess. But then again ive never worked with straw so im not too familiar with it...

Quote:

No_Life_G33k said:
mighty nice!!!!

Why do you use bags and not just heap the substrate in there???

I do straw in a large ice chest - there a link in my signature- would there be much difference between using a rubbermaid and using an ice chest???

I went with the ice chest because of the insulation, and because the drain is handy.

I've even used a Vicks steamer/humidifier with ok results, but the Wagner Power Steamer is next on my list.
Does a lot of steam escape during the run???

and do you 'pre-heat' the unoit at all???

The only 'difficult' part of the steamer set up for me was having to wet the straw so that the heat would transfer better. Soaking the straw seemed a big pain in the arse, and I ended up just using a spray bottle(a slightly smaller PIA), a pump up sprayer was a better route.

Overall, a great write up.

I was going to use an ice chest but i wanted a large one and the 150 quarts were going for over 100 dollars. I had one of the tubs extra laying around so decided to try it out with this one. this is the first steamer pasteurizer i build so their is definately room for much improvement in the future. A cooler will definately raise the temps in their even more i bet...

--------------------

Offlinebuddhahoodlum
Bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: Buddhahood
    #6987995 - 05/30/07 04:56 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Since I have the cooler I'm going to have to drill holes in the top to keep the temp down. Did you have any trouble with your's overheating without the holes. Also how much did the tub like you've got cost? Mine was like $60 so if I could find somethin cheaper that'd be great.

--------------------
“I believe that water will one day be employed as fuel, that hydrogen and oxygen which constitute it, used singly or together, will furnish an inexhaustible source of heat and light, of an intensity of which coal is not capable.” – Jules Verne, T

“Ere many generations pass, our machinery will be driven by power obtainable at any point in the universe...it is a mere question of time when men will succeed in attaching their machinery to the very wheel-work of nature."
- Nikola Tesla

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds