Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePinheadX
Stranger thanyou
Male User Gallery

Loc: TX Gulf Coast
New one for me... reddish purple
    #6967599 - 05/25/07 10:43 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

ok... so I saw this one tonight in the lawn at my mother-in-law's and I had just been relating the story of my Lepista nuda find. At first I thought it was a blewitt but it was more reddish. Once I picked it, I was sure it wasn't Lepista nuda.

• Cap 3 inches across, white/buff with reddish coloration on edges, turning a darker purple after picking. Very substantial feeling.

• Ring on stipe, bulbous base. Hollow at bottom, becoming solid at top.

• Gills not attached to stem, close. Reddish, turning browner/purplish after picking.

• Spore print grey/black.

I tried to ID it with the standard if it has this, then go here type guide, but it didn't make sense. Maybe Stropharia, but the spores are black, not purplish-black, as far as I can tell. Printed first on foil, then on a white paper plate, both look grey-black to me. I've printed Psilocybe, so I know what purple spores look like, and this ain't them.

Any ideas?

--------------------
If you want to find psilocybin in species that are not yet known to be psychoactive, you should do chemical tests. That way you won't get sick and die all the time.
- Alan Rockefeller

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
- Philip K. Dick

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecoon
big odd son

Loc: behind the rows....
Re: New one for me... reddish purple [Re: PinheadX]
    #6967966 - 05/26/07 12:30 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

it's an Agaric(free gills,blackish grey sporeprint).Stropharia would have attached gills.dont know which Agaric, but it's pretty flashy.

Edited by coon (05/26/07 12:41 AM)

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: New one for me... reddish purple [Re: coon]
    #6968115 - 05/26/07 01:33 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Actually, Agaric just means gilled mushroom.

Agaricus, which this mushroom is, is a genus of mushrooms with purple-brown spores.

--------------------

Invisiblecoon
big odd son

Loc: behind the rows....
Re: New one for me... reddish purple [Re: CureCat]
    #6968476 - 05/26/07 05:52 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

agaricus,excuse me,is what I meant.spore print can appear blackish, so I've heard.OK bye.

OfflinePinheadX
Stranger thanyou
Male User Gallery

Re: New one for me... reddish purple [Re: coon]
    #6968528 - 05/26/07 07:07 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

caught my eye in the dark, so I would say it was flashy. It has gotten considerably darker looking as it has aged. It still feels wet, even this morning after sitting out overnight. Hearty bugger, this one. My stepfather-in-law says they pop up in the same place all the time. I'd like to know what it is and if edible, of course, just so I'd be able to harvest them from that spot occasionally.

--------------------
If you want to find psilocybin in species that are not yet known to be psychoactive, you should do chemical tests. That way you won't get sick and die all the time.
- Alan Rockefeller

- Philip K. Dick

Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jaw-juh
    #6968567 - 05/26/07 07:32 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

It might be an edible species. Agaricus can be hard to definitively ID. Generally though, the ones that bruise reddish are edible. Also, the ones that smell good, and taste good (tiny, tiny nibble that you spit out) are edible. The toxic Agaricus species tend to smell awful, sort of chemical smell. They also tend to bruise yellow. To test for yellow bruising, slice the stem lengthwise, then scrape the inside flesh very hard with a knife or something. Bruising can take 30 minutes to an hour to show up. If you see yellow, throw it away. Also, Agaricus are loved by bugs and maggots, so make sure you have a clean specimen unless you don't mind the extra protein!

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #6969116 - 05/26/07 11:29 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

More than likely this is a species of Agaricus which begins with pinkish gills turning to a dark chocolate brown at times.

Two images from two different years as an example of some Agaricus which are edible such as A. silvaticus and A. arvensis.

mj

OfflinePinheadX
Stranger thanyou
Male User Gallery

Re: New one for me... reddish purple [Re: mjshroomer]
    #6970379 - 05/26/07 06:14 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

ewwwww... looks like it bruises reddish, tried splitting the stem and found a couple larva had eaten most of the inside of the stem. Quick little buggers, as there was no evidence of them last night. Cracked the cap in half, there are visitors there too.

nope. not eating this one. I've got cubes to eat tonight. :smile: Tomorrow is my birthday, and I'm gonna ring it in with a nice first time psilocybin experience.

--------------------
- Alan Rockefeller

- Philip K. Dick

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies