Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Buy Kava Tea   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemikemushroom
Castaneda Fan
Male

Loc: Outside Your Window
Opening a kratom bar (or tea shop)...maybe
    #6961938 - 05/24/07 02:49 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

I am considering opening up a small tea shop (for lack of a better word). Primarily Kratom and Kava Kava would be sold. I would also sell items such as wild dagga and salvia. All of these are 100% legal here.

I have some questions:

1. What are the legal risks if I make everyone sign a consume at you own risk waver?

2. What is the best way to avoid the FDA? It would be hard to use the incense excuse, right? Would it be an issue with kava considering you can buy it for consumption?

3. What kind of atmosphere would YOU like?

4. What kind of marketing stratagy would you use?

I think I have some loopholes figured out, but I wanted to hear your opinions without my bias.

If this comes to fruition, I am going to have a bunch of kratomheads to feed.....

MM

--------------------
Want to be of the shaman mind? Carlos Castaneda is the godfather of the New Age Movement which is based off the peyote & shroom eating natives in Mexico.

Read his library of books to expand your mind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshane
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Opening a kratom bar (or tea shop)...maybe [Re: mikemushroom]
    #6962127 - 05/24/07 03:57 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

thats gonna call some attention to these obscure legal plants... i dont know if thats a good idea.

--------------------
Statements concerning my personal actions and habits, and life in general are not to be taken seriously

go to familyradio.com

Offlinecheesie
supreme friendly being
Male User Gallery

Re: Opening a kratom bar (or tea shop)...maybe [Re: shane]
    #6962137 - 05/24/07 04:00 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

hmmmm
that would bring the plants to the attention of the authorities and possible they could rush a bill in(depends on the country) to ban these plants with immediate effect. obviously this may not happen but these are my thoughts on the subject

--------------------
:peyotespectrum:issues:peyotespectrum:require:peyotespectrum:tissues:peyotespectrum:
:hiltonsex:

Invisiblein_sherman
Stranger
Re: Opening a kratom bar (or tea shop)...maybe [Re: cheesie]
    #6962169 - 05/24/07 04:14 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Maybe you should consider selling some other interesting stuff to offset the negative feedback I'm sure the shop will get by some. Ethno/non plants or other stuff?

--------------------

OfflineD-Wreck
Stranger
Male

Loc: SC
Re: Opening a kratom bar (or tea shop)...maybe [Re: in_sherman]
    #6962203 - 05/24/07 04:26 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Make it a Coffee/Tea shop where you can add special ingredients such as certain ethno plants :P

Offlinecheesie
supreme friendly being
Male User Gallery

Re: Opening a kratom bar (or tea shop)...maybe [Re: D-Wreck]
    #6962529 - 05/24/07 06:19 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

yeah a salvia latte..lol

--------------------
:peyotespectrum:issues:peyotespectrum:require:peyotespectrum:tissues:peyotespectrum:

Offlinecheesie
supreme friendly being
Male User Gallery

#6962534 - 05/24/07 06:20 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

i'll buy that for a dollar..(quote from robocop)

--------------------

InvisibleFlop Johnson
Praise Skatballah
Male

Loc: TX
    #6962536 - 05/24/07 06:20 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

cheesie said:
yeah a salvia latte..lol

That'll get you ready for work in the morning.

Offlinemikemushroom
Castaneda Fan
Male

Re: Opening a kratom bar (or tea shop)...maybe [Re: Flop Johnson]
    #6963014 - 05/24/07 08:35 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

I believe that any attention would be good. It sure would bring in the curious. But, it took 6 years before my local media discovered the crack pipe roses and choreboy side by side on the quicky mart counters (on MLK of all places). As far as a bill, I doubt they would be worried about lil o me.

Certainly other types of teas would be available, all with different benefits. I have been looking into this. I would offer coffee, but I would not have all that starucks BS. Just a good cup of joe.

I am thinking oversized couches and just a top 40 radio station is the way to go. I wouldn't want to focus on one demographic.

I am still curious as to how to avoid liability in case of some dick who decides to eat an ounce of kratom or has some kind of reaction or whatever.

I am thinking I could sell them in 5g tea bags and have a hot water dispenser handy. It would be up to them what to do with it. It's none of my business plus the waiver wood make this obvious.

What do you think? I would like to hear more suggestions to the original questions too. I also have enough startup money to do things right.

oh, and shane- trust me, the feds know all about all of this. Just like with other drugs that are now illegal, unless it is an epidemic (syn with popular), tied negatively to minorities, or the gov produces false reports, they will stay legal...mostly. In addition, with some of the shit that headshops sell under the radar, why can't I?

MM

--------------------
Want to be of the shaman mind? Carlos Castaneda is the godfather of the New Age Movement which is based off the peyote & shroom eating natives in Mexico.

InvisibleTheEnd
Strange Daze

#6963728 - 05/24/07 10:52 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

mikemushroom said:
But, it took 6 years before my local media discovered the crack pipe roses and choreboy side by side on the quicky mart counters (on MLK of all places).

MLK...you live in Portland?!:shocked:

--------------------

InvisibleAgingHippy
Flwr Pwr
Male User Gallery

Loc: Necropolis Flag
Re: Opening a kratom bar (or tea shop)...maybe [Re: TheEnd]
    #6963849 - 05/24/07 11:28 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

as far as somebody overdosing and you being liable, instead of letting them steep the tea themselves, you could just make the tea for them.  It'd be easier on them, and you'd be able to regulate it more effectively :wink:  If you ever open a branch near me, I'd be more than happy to become a regular customer!

*you could also have a warning listed in obscure places throughout the building

Edited by AgingHippy (05/24/07 11:28 PM)

Offlineshane
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Opening a kratom bar (or tea shop)...maybe [Re: AgingHippy]
    #6964365 - 05/25/07 02:27 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

im sure the authorities do know about it. theres no way they dont. im saying, it becomes a little more popular, some other shops open, all kinds of college kids are drinking five cups a day and getting "addicted", the news does a little cutesy bit about it... anything like, it just risks catching on. and thats not the best idea. look at salvia. those phen??? pills (rcs), khat, etc. the only thing that hasnt gone the way of that trend is poppy pods,for the moment, and im glad. its cause they're pretty low key, or at least they seem like it to me. it's about how much of the public knows about it and how many angry letters the dea gets from angry, whiny parents. if it were me, id make the basis of it something other than the kratom tea, and just make it pretty low key and not have any advertising for it. like (this might not be what you had in mind) make it a coffeeshop. cause it sounds like, from your description of a lurker atmosphere, that's kinda what your doing right? like a coffeeshop with some ethnos? i do think it sounds like a cool idea though. i mean, id go to a shop like that. but i'd just be really worried about calling any sort of attention kratom specifically. hahaha... like dont have big letters above the shop: The Kratom Place. thats pretty much what im suggesting.

Edited by shane (05/25/07 02:38 AM)

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
    #6964431 - 05/25/07 03:00 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

You could open a web based store, would be safer/easier.

FH

InvisibleTheEnd
Strange Daze

Re: Opening a kratom bar (or tea shop)...maybe [Re: felixhigh]
    #6964523 - 05/25/07 04:39 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

felixhigh said:
You could open a web based store, would be safer/easier.

FH

Mail order cup of tea! :rofl2:

--------------------

Invisiblethallus
Stranger thanyou

Loc: Hiding in Plain Sight
Re: Opening a kratom bar (or tea shop)...maybe [Re: TheEnd]
    #6968570 - 05/26/07 07:33 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

I think having someone consume salvia in your shop would be bad. They stand up fall over there hot tea and its all your fault you sold them the hot drink and the salvia. The other stuff would not be so bad but I think the salvia would need to go as incense so you cant get fuck on it. Also kava kava is baned in some places because of its effects on the liver so again I would be worried about having it consumed on the premises.

OfflineMYSTIQUE
Say Hi to the elves for me.
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: Opening a kratom bar (or tea shop)...maybe [Re: thallus]
    #6970232 - 05/26/07 05:00 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

OK Its legal To sell these things as like incense and stuff. I'm pretty shur they ain't like F.D.A. approved for human consumption. So to sell it as a consumable would be against the law and if anyone got hurt it would be all up to you cuz it being illegal no insurance for it.

--------------------
Dont know what the fuck I just said? READ THIS
http://www.shroomery.org/5122/The-Shroomery-Mushroom-Glossary
I ain't a hippy but I'm covered in dirt                         
Sippin lots of mushroom tea in a tye-dye shirt
Chasin' the Grateful Dead, no shoes on my feet
Beggin' in the parking lot for something to eat,

:onfire:DO NOT USE FIRE IN YOUR GLOVE BOX!!!!!!!:onfire:

InvisibleAgingHippy
Flwr Pwr
Male User Gallery

Re: Opening a kratom bar (or tea shop)...maybe [Re: thallus]
    #6970271 - 05/26/07 05:18 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

thallus said:
I think having someone consume salvia in your shop would be bad. They stand up fall over there hot tea and its all your fault you sold them the hot drink and the salvia. The other stuff would not be so bad but I think the salvia would need to go as incense so you cant get fuck on it. Also kava kava is baned in some places because of its effects on the liver so again I would be worried about having it consumed on the premises.

well thats been pretty much proven that the liver harming part is not in the root, only the leaves and stems, so as long as you have a reliable source you'll be fine.  Of course, In the US we like to ban things before we even research them :thumbdown:

Offlinemikemushroom
Castaneda Fan
Male

#6970448 - 05/26/07 06:40 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

TheEnd- No I don't live in Portland, but this just assures me of the stupidity of local media.

I am going to open an online store regardless of the tea shop. It will be similar to the better ones that you guys probably use. What I am going to avoid selling is some of that worthless shit that they tend to sell. It is really discouraging when you are a noob and fall for some of that crap. Futher down the road I may have stealthboxes built be a liscensed electrition, but that is in the beginning stages of negotiations.

I would not allow salvia to be consumed in the store and it would be sold as strictly incense. People tend to freak out the first time they use (at least in my experience). I got to pop this big biker dudes salvia cherry last night. I had to pick him up off the ground. lol

Anyhow, I would keep things low key and offer incentives to people who bring in guests. I think that after about 6 months of next to no advertising, I could be doing pretty good for myself.

As far as the glasses of hot water, I am going to have to try different temps with different grades and teabags to see if it will even work. I know it will with kava though. I will take in to consideration about the amounts people are dosing with.

And as teefizzle stated, kava ROOT does not harm the liver. I believe kona kava farms has a good report on this subject at their website.

In the next 6 months I hope to launch my online store. You guys will get some hook-ups. I love my shroomery family.

Okay- so thanks for the info, and if anyone has any more ideas/thoughts, I would like to hear them.

MM

--------------------

InvisibleAgingHippy
Flwr Pwr
Male User Gallery

#6970491 - 05/26/07 06:50 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

don't forget to send people free samples when they buy larger quantities of things from your store :laugh:

Offlinemikemushroom
Castaneda Fan
Male

#6970563 - 05/26/07 07:09 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

teefizzle said:
don't forget to send people free samples when they buy larger quantities of things from your store :laugh:

I sure will. I plan on taking care of everyone.

I will eventually offer kratom kits consisting a small tree, dried powdered foliage, seeds, and a t-shirt. This will have to wait until I can get a large inventory of clones (rifat, of course). The same will go for lions tail and possibly salvia. It will take (by my estimation) 2-3 years to offer live plants, and I would have a limited quantity. I am in the process of trying to find a greenhouse to rent at this time.

I am fortunate enough to have an investor and the help of Uncle Sam to make all this possible. I will start out downscaled, but as business picks up so will everything else.

The three things that I have always wished I could find:

1. The types of kits mentioned above.
2. A tea shop
3. Workshops

Hopefully I can do these things for everyone else, but as with all business ventures, there is always a risk.

MM

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Buy Kava Tea   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals