Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Long term storage of dried shrooms
    #692961 - 06/21/02 04:30 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I would like to get suggestions on the best TEK for long term storage of dried mushrooms, (this is a problem that I never thought that I would have). I grind my dried shrooms up and place the grinds in a zip-lock bag.

I can't easly get my hands on inert gas to purge the bags!

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewindex
old hand
Re: Long term storage of dried shrooms [Re: Ripple]
    #692965 - 06/21/02 04:37 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

i think ive read somewhere up putting the ground up shrooms in gel caps with a little packet of dessicant last for at least a year. This is what i plan on doing.

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
    #693099 - 06/21/02 06:24 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

honey
or
air tight enviroment

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

OfflineCheshire
journeyman

Loc: NE. I'll trade corn for g...
    #693127 - 06/21/02 06:41 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Easy, just make sure that the mushroom material is taken out of a hot environment and put into the dark or some place where it is covered and not exposed to outside elements. peace

--------------------
"I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me." -Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

InvisibleTM
The Mind, The Many, The Music.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under The Table And Dream...
    #693508 - 06/22/02 02:00 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I have shrooms in storage that I bought over 5 years ago that are still as great as they were when I got 'em. Make SURE THEY'RE CRACKER DRY. Put 'em in a plastic sandwich bag and roll (like you do weed). Put that one into another one. Put that into a zip-lock sucking out all air. Do that again. Now you've got a bag in bag ina bag in a bag with a vacuum in the last 2. Put them in the freezer.

Wait 5 years. Weigh up 3 grams. Trip your sox off!

--------------------
================================================

"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TMâ„¢ :cool:

Offlinedirk gently
enthusiast
    #694694 - 06/22/02 04:19 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Storing for more than a year is a problem. A dark, cool/cold place is very necessary, but the harder one is air/moisture. Even those plastic baggies will slowly move air through them. Ideally, you would want some kind of inert gas protection for them if you want the potency to remain 100%.

Grinding them up alone is probably a bad idea. This just increases the surface area for oxidation to occur.

One idea: triple plastic baggie it (not powdered) and then put that in a bottle that can have its pressure reduced. Like those wine bottles where you pump out a lot of the air. A dark colored bottle to keep light exposure down. Also maybe a small amount of silica gel dessicant to keep things dry. This in the freezer would last a couple years at least.

Offlinetoo_many_weirdos
it's a jungle inhere
Loc: Ithaca, NY
Re: Long term storage of dried shrooms [Re: dirk gently]
    #694777 - 06/22/02 04:53 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

this is what i do:

take your mushrooms put them in a ziplock, get 'em all down at the bottom and roll the bag up almost all the way to the zip. stick a little homemade bag or a store-bought bag of dessicant in the bag, press all the air out and seal. place this bag in a glass canning jar with a rubber airtight seal. place this jar in a cool dark place.

OfflineMr_Puke
Suicidal Failure

Re: Long term storage of dried shrooms [Re: too_many_weirdos] * 1
    #694984 - 06/22/02 06:12 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Just eat them all right now

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Long term storage of dried shrooms [Re: Mr_Puke]
    #695068 - 06/22/02 08:56 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Well I personally know individuals who have kept shrooms for more than 15 years.

However, that is not a good question since the majority of all never have enough to store for a long time to began with.

Right now the o;ldest known analyzation of psilocybine mushrooms were a herbarium collection of Psilocybe semilanceata (liberty cap) from England from 1851. It was shown to be as postent as a collection from Oregon in 1976..

Usually people store them and then they are gone. Hm. What to do then.

I have seen collections sotred in gass jars with rubber stoppers and out of light and heat that have been stored for years without even desicant.

mj.

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#695333 - 06/22/02 11:52 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Shrooms can easily be stored for years on end.

I once bought me an ounce of dried ones, pulverized them & pressed it firmly into a smaal hotsauce-bottle with the metal lid as wide as the glass jar. I kept them at -25'C = -5'F 5 years later I couldn't detect a potency loss, even at very low doses. The shroom was P. Cubensis. I also stored same shroom rammed in gelatin capsules (500mg/capsule) in the same way for the same timepriod. No change was detectable too & the caps made for easy dosing.

There are 3 major enemies of Shrooms in storage: Air, Water and the Enzymes present in most shrooms themselves. Air will destroy the goodies by O2 oxidation. Water will aid the enzymes in destroying the goodies into inactive blue/brown stuff. Plastic tends to breathe both air and water vapor. I'd say use very small glass/metal jars, pulverize, possibly encapsulate and store at below -20'C since even Psilocin seems to be stable then.

& when there are no Shrooms to buy or find... You've still got your very own Glow-In-The-Dark freezer!

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

OfflineMachineElf
Stranger
    #8450336 - 05/27/08 12:01 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Sorry if bumping old thread :smile:

If you store them in air tight bags inside a glass jar in the freezer will they freeze? and if so what is the best way to thaw them?

Thanks

OfflineWeedyWonka
Pirate Kitten
Male User Gallery

Re: Long term storage of dried shrooms [Re: MachineElf]
    #8450393 - 05/27/08 12:31 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

If it totally dry there shouldn't be any moisture to freeze them so there wont be a need to thaw them. They will just be super cold and if you dont want to munch on the cold shrooms just set them out for a few hours or use a heating pad.

I usually just store them in a bag in my stash box with my weed. I have like .5 grams and it's been a year now. I haven't tried them yet though.

Offline12468
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Long term storage of dried shrooms [Re: WeedyWonka]
    #8450472 - 05/27/08 12:55 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Anyone have any experience with vacuum sealed food bags, like the ones you store fish in? This combined with a sealing mason jar and some desiccant seems like it could do the trick.

Offlinebmy
Stranger to myself
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Planet Earth
Re: Long term storage of dried shrooms [Re: 12468]
    #8450752 - 05/27/08 02:15 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I've pulverized mine, put into OO-capsules (~0.4g in each) and put all capsules along with a bag of desiccant in a mason jar. To make sure no air exchange occurs I put silicone around the lid. Wrapped the whole thing in a layer of duct-tape to block light. Will have to wait a year to know how good this storage method was though :smile:

--------------------

OfflineCraighead
Cheerfullygrinning
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Long term storage of dried shrooms [Re: 12468]
    #8450834 - 05/27/08 02:40 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

12468 said:
Anyone have any experience with vacuum sealed food bags, like the ones you store fish in? This combined with a sealing mason jar and some desiccant seems like it could do the trick.

I have. And they're fantastic! Check out the Foodsaver at your local Walmart. If you're not in need of one now then check the price every so often...They usually go on sale a few times a year. Target is a good option too. Not to mention Ebay...But most of you already know that. I think I picked mine up for around $30. Just make sure to get Foodsaver though. The knock off brands blow in my opinion.

But seriously, the Foodsaver is awesome. :thumbup::thumbup:

--------------------

Invisiblear393
old timer
Male
Loc: VT
Re: Long term storage of dried shrooms [Re: Craighead]
    #8451020 - 05/27/08 03:29 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

dude is there any reason you've brought this up in 3 different forums?

seriously....

OfflineCraighead
Cheerfullygrinning
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Long term storage of dried shrooms [Re: ar393]
    #8451064 - 05/27/08 03:44 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

The answer to your question is obvious. Did you fail to notice someone inquiring about vacuum sealers? I personally have one so I was giving my opinion. :shrug:

--------------------

Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Long term storage of dried shrooms [Re: Craighead]
    #8451137 - 05/27/08 04:07 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

It also depends on what strain ya have ones with higher amounts of psilocin dont keep as long as ones with higher amounts of psilocybin. Subbs keep well due to there high psilocybin and low psilocin content libs are like this as well this is also the reason these two species dont blue heavily like other actives.

OfflineMonkeyRacket
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Proxima Centauri
Re: Long term storage of dried shrooms [Re: weiliiiiiii]
    #8451188 - 05/27/08 04:22 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I basically agree with what has already been said... Make sure the mushrooms are cracker dry to begin with, vacuum seal them, and place in a dark corner of the freezer. You could substitute the vacuum seal with a canning jar.

If you're not worried about preserving the mushrooms themselves, I would think a crystalline extraction of the Psilocybin might yield the best results but I have no idea on this.

OfflineTrust The Fungus
Stranger
Re: Long term storage of dried shrooms [Re: Asante]
    #23116751 - 04/14/16 11:40 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Sorry for bumping this old thread but thought it was better than starting another one.
I've had some liberty caps sat in a plastic take away box (which can't be airtight) at the back of a cool, dark cupboard for about 2 years. Just discovers them when cleaning out the cupboard!
Not expecting them to have kept all their strength but is there any reason not to do them? They were bone dry before storing and they are still perfectly in tact.

Only 7 grams but would be a nice treat of they're OK!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules