Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Loc: SoCal
Manic depressives, come forth.
    #6926818 - 05/16/07 08:44 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

What do you do to keep yourself from going insane during the depressive part? The mania is great. I feel so good about myself and I get into a mode where I'll go on a cleaning spree, I'll eat right, I'll do things I enjoy, and basically be happy to just be alive. Then minutes, hours, or even weeks later I'm followed by the depression. That voice that says, "What's the point?"

"What's the point of eating right, doing things you like, and being happy? You go to sleep, wake up, work, lather rinse repeat...it'll be that way for the rest of your life. You aren't in control of your life, and you never will be."

At this current moment in time, it's getting kind of late and I could go to sleep because I have to work in the morning from 7am to 11am, a really short shift. Best Buy doesn't open until 10am and I'm the only opener until 10am, so for 3 hours it's me, the music, and repairing computers. That makes me happy. It's almost like a day off for me tomorrow, because my shift will almost be over before it begins. I have a weird burst of energy tonight, and I feel I'm entering the mania stage of this confusing disorder. I feel like pulling an all-nighter tonight. Not necessarily to get anything accomplished, but I just feel like staying up tonight. I could burn CD's I never got around to, I could clean up my own computer, I could finish my laundry, figure out how to my finances...anything!

How do I keep this going? Right now I don't feel completely lost and I want to maintain this positive outlook on the coming day(s). Does anyone have advice?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblespiritualemerg
Stranger

Re: Manic depressives, come forth. [Re: Newbie]
    #6928638 - 05/17/07 05:47 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

NewbieShroomie: What do you do to keep yourself from going insane during the depressive part?

Bi-polar isn't my thing so I'm not sure if I can offer much but here's a few options to consider...
    #1: Educate yourself on every aspect of your "disorder". The more you know, the less likely you are to be surprised by the hardballs.

#2: Seek out and find role models: In other words, people who have not only been where you are but who have been there and either gotten out or found a means of making it work for them.

#3: Accept that nothing is permanent. Your happiness will pass; your sadness will pass.

#4: Spend time in nature. Go for a walk; sit by a stream; lay in the sun.

#5: Exercise on a regular basis. Disregard if your energy levels are currently at "slug".

#6: Eat as well as you can afford to eat with an emphasis on nutrient-dense foods.

#7: Practice tonglen.

#8: If you are on medication, consider changing something -- the dose, the type, or even if you will take it all. See also: #1.

#9: Pay attention to what helps and what hinders. Over time, you will develop an assortment of coping techniques you can draw on during your more difficult moments.

#10: Find purpose in your pain. Perhaps it's pointing at some things you need to deal with, perhaps it's simply increasing your tolerance levels. Knowing that there is meaning in your experience can help make it more bearable.

--------------------
~ Kindness is cheap.  It's unkindness that always demands the highest price.

Blogs: Spiritual Emergency | Spiritual Recovery | Voices of Recovery | A Jungian Approach to Psychosis

Edited by spiritualemerg (05/17/07 05:56 AM)

Invisibleelbisivni
Re: Manic depressives, come forth. [Re: Newbie]
    #6930123 - 05/17/07 12:39 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

one thing I try to do is to observe and evaluate my emotional status on a waveform.  with manic depression the peaks and valleys of the waveform rise and fall sharply and dramatically to highs and lows.  it is then up to you to do your best to smooth out these sharp spikes - without medication or destroying your emotions.  just be aware of where you are and where you're headed on this scale.  it's been helping me for a little while now, but sometimes I lose track and end up doing something dumb.  another good thing it not wallowing in your own stupidity after such an event :smile:

--------------------
From dust you are made and to dust you shall return.

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

Re: Manic depressives, come forth. [Re: elbisivni]
    #6930206 - 05/17/07 01:02 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

There is a part of every human being that wants to feel miserable, that thrives on feeling bad.

I am very good at deceiving myself when it comes to food, drugs, and addictive behaviors and thought-patterns of all sorts. It's a built-in nihilistic mechanism I have; it's kind of a bummer!

The funny thing is it is easy to recognize when you are deceiving yourself, but hard to remain conscious enough to guide yourself away from negative thinking.

For example, today I was really beating myself up about how much I eat, how I always trick myself into think it's okay to indulge a little extra, and a little extra, and then feel absolutely shitty after I've just eaten ten rich cookies and realized that no, this food will not bring me lasting happiness, it comes and goes as it always has.

So I guided myself away from the brownies that were put out on my counter, and I felt better instantly, and then all of a sudden, with barely a thought, I realize that I am picking up a box of chocolates and eating them.

This is a small example, but it illustrates a good point: steering your own consciousness = will power = being able to create positivity for yourself. No external guidance is necessary, simply steering your mind and remaining conscious, recognizing when you are lying to yourself (and not only recognizing, but acknowledging, accepting, and overcoming the lie). You may fall a thousand times but you'll get up a thousand and one.

--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order