Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepinky2totters
Stranger
 User Gallery

But how will there be gas exchange?
    #6923740 - 05/16/07 07:52 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Okay, I understand that this should work for my jars I'm going to inoculate, but I'm still confused because there seems to be no gas exchange, which I think would be needed during incubation for mycelium growth.

mason jar lid rin

Foil

Foil

Dry Verm

Verm/Substrate

(all wrapped neatly in a jar)

while this should provide good protection, it seems to me that most people are drilling holes in their mycelium jars and adding polyfill or tyvek. Now my understanding is that the vermiculite kind of adds the protection I need but then I don't understand how gasses are supposed to get there in the first place. Can someone help before I PC my jars and make a big mistake?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBlirska
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Re: But how will there be gas exchange? [Re: pinky2totters]
    #6923978 - 05/16/07 08:54 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

You need to poke holes through your lid.

OfflineApJunkie
part-time Ninja
Male

Loc: Loc:Loc:Loc:Loc:Loc:
Re: But how will there be gas exchange? [Re: Blirska]
    #6924036 - 05/16/07 09:10 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

I have one 1/4" hole in the lids of my jars filled with polyfill, but I do that for an inoculation point, not fresh air exchange. As long as you've got a place for the needle to pass through, you've got enough air exchange. It's really not that important for incubation.

Just wait until they're in the FC, THEN you've got shit to worry about :wink:

Offlinepinky2totters
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: But how will there be gas exchange? [Re: ApJunkie]
    #6924080 - 05/16/07 09:22 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Should I break out the electric drill and the micropore tape?

Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

Loc: The Valley
    #6924091 - 05/16/07 09:26 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

gas exchange is what you need during incubation!
so your doing brf/verm jars?
if you have the dry verm layer on top you should have 4 1/4" holes poked in the lids (i use a nail) not covered with anything to allow for proper gas exchange.

OfflineApJunkie
part-time Ninja
Male

#6924094 - 05/16/07 09:27 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

If you want to, but I think you're far too worried about it. Getting jars colonized is the easy part. You have to remember than if you have a well hydrated sterile substrate, mycellium LOVES to grow, and will do that very well. Just make a small hole for inoculation and either fill it with polyfill or cover it with micropore tape and you're set. Maybe a layer of tyvek under the lid wouldn't hurt either, but that's not totally necessary.
I do two layers of Foil, polyfill, and WBS. out of my last batch of 36 jars, not a single contam.

OfflineApJunkie
part-time Ninja
Male

Re: But how will there be gas exchange? [Re: blood4blood]
    #6924100 - 05/16/07 09:29 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

blood4blood said:
if you have the dry verm layer on top you should have 4 1/4" holes poked in the lids (i use a nail) not covered with anything to allow for proper gas exchange.

This is totally incorrect. Gas exchange is what you need during pinning/fruiting, Jars can colonize with no gas exchange at all, and they will do just fine. Having that many holes that large will cause your substrate to dry out very quickly, and if you don't cover them with anything (assuming you meant no foil etc) you will get contams, guarenteed.

Edited by ApJunkie (05/16/07 09:30 AM)

InvisibleGoodbyeOrb
Self-SacrificingPotency Tester
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6924102 - 05/16/07 09:30 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Poke holes in the lid. If they are PF jars, then the dry vermic at the top filters the air. It will get gas exchange. The tyvek/polyfill is just a different filtering method. Take the tinfoil off after you PC, it's just sposed to keep the water from getting into the jars. If you are really worried about contamns tho, you can either flip the jars upside down on a rack, or make a little tin foil tent to keep contamns from landing on top of the jar.

Edited by GoodbyeOrb (05/16/07 09:34 AM)

Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

#6924103 - 05/16/07 09:30 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

yea you use tyvek for grains. i believe he's doing brf/verm cakes. where that is absoulutly unessasary.
the 4 holes uncovered is what you want

Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

#6924113 - 05/16/07 09:32 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

ApJunkie said:
Quote:

blood4blood said:

This is totally incorrect. Gas exchange is what you need during pinning/fruiting, Jars can colonize with no gas exchange at all, and they will do just fine. Having that many holes that large will cause your substrate to dry out very quickly, and if you don't cover them with anything (assuming you meant no foil etc) you will get contams, guarenteed.

have you done any reading on here? you want gas exchange during incubation and air exchanges during fruiting

InvisibleGoodbyeOrb
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6924118 - 05/16/07 09:34 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

To second what you said, you are right, 1/4" is kinda large. I think my holes are about 1/8"

Edited by GoodbyeOrb (05/16/07 09:35 AM)

OfflineApJunkie
part-time Ninja
Male

#6924123 - 05/16/07 09:36 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

blood4blood said:
Quote:

ApJunkie said:
Quote:

blood4blood said:

have you done any reading on here? you want gas exchange during incubation and air exchanges during fruiting

Lol, no. I just grow QP's by pure luck. :rolleyes:

I guess I'm being too vague, Gas exchange can help, but is not necessary. Jars can and will (I'm speaking from personal experience here) colonize very quickly with no more gas exchange than the tiny hole made by a needle. Four 1/4" holes is absurd overkill.

Then again, I've never done PF jars, so I suppose they could be the random exception.

(edit: also, I use the term gas exchange for FAE also (which may have caused some confusion here) because you're exchanging CO2 for N2 and O2)

Edited by ApJunkie (05/16/07 09:37 AM)

Offlinepinky2totters
Stranger
 User Gallery

#6924124 - 05/16/07 09:36 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Okay so I know for sure I don't need tyvek cause i have verm.

However, there is some confusion still about whether or not I need to poke holes. Can't I just chuck the lid alltogether, or just use the ring part of the lid, and not the top itself. The verm will filter the air... and really we're talking dust cover and keeping it closed, right?

InvisibleGoodbyeOrb
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6924132 - 05/16/07 09:38 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Either way, you are going to have to poke at least one hole so you can get the needle in for innoc... People tend to do the four holes so they can innoc at four different places around the perimeter, but you can just do one if you want. This is covered in many of the teks here.

InvisibleGoodbyeOrb
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6924151 - 05/16/07 09:40 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Btw, you're gonna want to go ahead and use the disc, don't count on the verm alone. Besides, if the verm does by chance get contaminated do to your not cleaning the top 1/2 inch of the jar, without discs, you would be likely to spread contamns to your other jars in the process of pulling that jar, and you might screw your whole grow up.

Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

Re: But how will there be gas exchange? [Re: GoodbyeOrb]
    #6924159 - 05/16/07 09:42 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

yea sorry i meant 1/8" just big enough for the neeedle. i was thinking of holes in a F/C...

Offlinepinky2totters
Stranger
 User Gallery

#6924186 - 05/16/07 09:48 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

So here's what I'm doing. Then, because i have 2 layers of foil, I'm going to take the top layer off, then inoculate on the second layer, then replace the top layer, screw the cap on and incubate. Zer - Gut?

I've had several people tell me that more tyvek here is overkill. Does my plan sound OK?

InvisibleGoodbyeOrb
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6924199 - 05/16/07 09:50 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Innoc on the second layer? What are you talking about?? Ditch the tin foil all together after PCing, and go back and read my posts in this thread.

Offlinepinky2totters
Stranger
 User Gallery

#6924240 - 05/16/07 09:59 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Sigh,

I am thorougly confused, but I believe we are all talking about the same thing. I think I'm going to drill the holes anyway and tape it up because knowing me I'll fuck it up if I actually have to open anything. I hope to be posting three weeks from now with fruiting questions.

Offline_OttO_
Over Stimulated
 User Gallery

Loc: Up Over
Trusted Cultivator
    #6924273 - 05/16/07 10:09 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

ApJunkie said:

Sorry mate, but you are actually completely wrong.

This is a comparison of two jars, inoculated at the same time, 8 days after inoculation. One has a filter for gas exchange, one doesnt - guess which one has the filter (you can see it on the top if you look closely)...

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags