Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJericho6909
Going to start growing tomorrow,opinions on tek
    #685958 - 06/18/02 10:27 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I'm looking to start growing tomorrow and I was wondering if I could get some opinions on how my method/setup. I made 2 attempts at this 2 years ago and had OK results w/ the B+ strain by casing the cakes and I'm trying to get into this again. The 2nd time I used Ryche's magic formula and didn't have very good results.

I've got EQ's and Cambodians and I'm going to use the Dethhead tek this time which calls for pint sized wide mouth jars w/ a 2/3 birdseed to 1/3 spring water ratio. I'm going to use Pennington birdseed so I'll make sure to wash the kote crap off. I plan on using filter discs inside the jars and keeping the lids(upsidedown) tight.

Stupid Question #1 - It should be ok to NOT patch up the hole w/ tape during incubation that I create in the lid b/c my filter will pretty much take care of everything?

Of course I will put tape over the innoculation hole during the pressure cooking of the jars(1 hour at 15 psi, then shake shake shake). I'm gunna let the jars then sit for about 12 hours before innoculating. I'm going to do 1cc of spore solution per jar of course making sure to keep everything sterile. I plan on using the oven tek for this part coupled w/ antibacterial precautions(wipe lids w/ hydrogen peroxide, gloves, mask, hat, long sleeved shirt, sterilze syringe point).

Stupid question #2 - Is it OK to sterilze the syringe w/ a lighter or does this burn too dirty? Can I simply sterilize w/ peroxide?

Stupid question #3 - After innoculating, should I shake up the jars? or should I wait till I see some signs of colonization?

At this point, I'm gunna stick my jars in a large rubbermaid container w/ top for the incubation period. I'm gunna try and keep the temp anywhere from 80-85, and humidity at about 75-80%. Not sure how I want to keep the temp. constant though. I've been reading posts about this and it seems like many ppl favor using a aquarium heater.

Stupid questions #4 & 5 - If using a aquarium heater, should it be submerged in water or is ok to have it dangling in the incubation container? I assume the heater should be placed in the middle of the rubbermaid container so one side of the container is the same temp as the other side. What wattage is suggested? I've seen some ppl mention 150W working fine.

I think thats pretty much it until the cakes are ready to be birthed and then cased. I haven't decided on how im going to create my casing/fruiting chamber or the mixture of casing. I'm probably going to go w/ the 50/50+ casing mixture, but when I'm getting ready for that part I'll prolly pick your brains again....

Thnx....

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinevatoloco
Puppet Hunter -DBK
Post deleted by MOE THE MAD SCIENTIST [Re: Jericho6909]
    #686163 - 06/18/02 12:00 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

OfflineJericho6909
Re: Going to start growing tomorrow,opinions on tek [Re: vatoloco]
    #686234 - 06/18/02 12:47 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

The FAQ says if using a filter disc that I should "punch a small second hole into the lid and inoculate through it". Why is a 2nd hole needed, what is wrong w/ only 1? The FAQ also states that I will be innoculating through the filter disc obviously creating a hole in the disc....you stated that if I do this, it wont filter anything. That's slightly contradictory and confuses me a bit. I really don't want to unscrew the lid like you said your neighbor does it....took risky IMO. Could you provide a little clarification?

Trying to find the instructions for Anno's tek but only see links to

http://www.fungifun.org/pf/incubator.htm

and that page isnt coming up.....anyhow, I found the Alien incubator tek and it seems pretty much the same as what you described so I am definately going to give this a try. How much of my jar tub should be submersed in the water? 1-2 inches ?

I will take the coir for casing into consideration.....I haven't had time to read up on that method as of yet but it seems like a lot of ppl are using/suggesting it.

Thnx for the info....

OfflineJericho6909
Re: Going to start growing tomorrow,opinions on tek [Re: Jericho6909]
    #688112 - 06/19/02 10:20 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Well, doesn't seem like I'm gunna be starting today.....Fungi Perfecti sent me the 70mm filter discs instead of the 90mm ones so I gotta wait 2 days for the replacement. I'll be lucky if it gets here by Friday, my guess is Monday

Still looking for a reply to my last post....anybody?

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #688170 - 06/19/02 11:00 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

>use anno's incubator tek, I think it's in the faq.

The mirror to it is:
http://www.geocities.com/kickme_to_mushrooms/pf/incubator.htm

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: Going to start growing tomorrow,opinions on tek [Re: Jericho6909]
    #688614 - 06/19/02 03:45 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

2 things:
1) You can't sterilize the needle with peroxide, the peroxide will stay on the needle and kill (at least some of) your spores when you inject them. Just use a lighter
2) An aquarium heater will shatter if you run it when it's not submerged

Offlinerosewoodpete
a grain of sandamongst thedunes

Re: Going to start growing tomorrow,opinions on te [Re: zeta]
    #688641 - 06/19/02 03:57 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

No offense kid, but your doing this tomorrow and your asking questions TODAY???!!!! Let me guess, you're 15, leaving at home with ma and pa, and.........we'll nevermind. just a word of advice, this is a scence, it ain't not toy you can just fuk wit. do your homework weeks and months ahead. then you won't have to ask questions, rather you can search for your intended methods and follow the teks. or at least you'll know enough to be comfortable in your experimentation.

Offlinetenneseex3
Stranger

Loc: knoxville,tn/dallas,tx/at...
Re: Going to start growing tomorrow,opinions on te [Re: rosewoodpete]
    #688667 - 06/19/02 04:15 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I agree but was your thinking that sophisticated at 15? And kid go big it will make room for mistake.
Good luck.

--------------------
The Beat Regeneration

Offlinerosewoodpete
a grain of sandamongst thedunes

Re: Going to start growing tomorrow,opinions on te [Re: tenneseex3]
    #689104 - 06/19/02 07:33 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I didn't think at 15, i just rolled and toked. i wish i was 15 again. no worries, no stres...................

OfflineJericho6909
Re: Going to start growing tomorrow,opinions on te [Re: rosewoodpete]
    #690286 - 06/20/02 10:33 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Haha no, I'm not 15....and I've grown before w/ moderate success(not as many fruits as I would have liked but good experience at the time....haha that was back when everyone thought the B+ had cyan or azure heritage), its just been a few years and I'm doing it a little more complex than I did before. Trust me, I am NOT rushing this thing and have spent time thinking about what needs to be done and if I didn't feel I was ready to start than I wouldn't. Geez, I forgot how some ppl can get touchy around here.....anyhow

I've got my incubation chamber all setup and have been monitoring the temp/humidty of the chamber to make sure I am getting consistent levels throughout the day. The therm/hygro that I have tells the daily max/min so it lets me see my daily range. So far everything is looking good.

Going back to the sterlization of the syringe, the way I used to do it was w/ alcohol swabs which I lit w/ a lighter. The swabs burnt nice and clean....

So what exactly is the proper way to innoculate w/ the filter discs in place?

OfflinesirJ
enlightened darkmatter

Loc: middle of nowhere
    #691129 - 06/20/02 04:56 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

hey vatoloco...
or anybody that would know if it were true.
who is that ugly woman the shroomery public enemy numero uno? just curious

Offlinebassplayer74
old hand

Loc: Tennessee
Re: Going to start growing tomorrow,opinions on tek [Re: sirJ]
    #691135 - 06/20/02 05:00 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

It's the missing link!

--------------------
If you will it, it is no dream.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder