Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Quick question for the guru, RR...
    #6858842 - 05/01/07 03:38 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Hey RR, quick question...assuming one puts jars in a 75 degree closet to grow, and doesn't use an incubator...do you feel that 12 hours of sunligh a day will mess with them? does light at all affect them while the mycelium is digesting the substrate? I am just wondering as this hypothetical closet where they would be colonizing is also the same place that holds a FC, and there is a fluorescent light on 12 hours a day in there.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Quick question for the guru, RR... [Re: myndreach]
    #6858891 - 05/01/07 03:47 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Direct sunlight is bad. The fluorescent won't hurt the colonizing cakes. Mine are exposed to it from day one.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisibleusg543
◕‿◕

#6858892 - 05/01/07 03:47 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

i was wrong lol

Edited by usg543 (05/01/07 03:48 PM)

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Quick question for the guru, RR... [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6859073 - 05/01/07 04:36 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Direct sunlight is bad. The fluorescent won't hurt the colonizing cakes. Mine are exposed to it from day one.
RR

But the fluorescent light is good enough light to be shining in a FC, right? The closet is the place where jars colonize (on shelf) and where the rubbermaid FC sits on the floor (plastic top, fluorescent light shining down).

I guess I'm wondering...if fluorescent light is good for fruiting, because it's similar to sunlight, then how is fluorescent light okay for colonizing when sunlight is bad?

Edited by myndreach (05/01/07 04:37 PM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #6859631 - 05/01/07 07:09 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

First things first. Get the terrarium OFF the floor. Over 90% of the contaminants in a room are within a foot or two of the floor.

I said 'direct' sunlight is bad. Diffused is not, nor is fluorescent. My jars are exposed to fluorescent office type lighting for up to 18 hours a day, and longer if I'm working late. It has no effect on colonizing mycelium.

Closets are also horrible places to put fruiting chambers. Leave the door open to ensure fresh air, as it can get stale fast in a closed up closet and contaminants thrive in still, stale, damp air.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineheadieherbs
originalgangster (oflove)
 User Gallery

Loc: around the bend
    #6861294 - 05/02/07 12:36 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

so basically, the myc will grow even if exposed to like a 60 watt bulb for 15 hours a day? Is it only the sun (or really bright lights) that can't shine on the bags or jars while colonizing or house lamps too?

ANd if you do this don't you lose the effectiveness of exposing the substrate to light to trigger pinning???

SOrry, I just wanna make sure I understand this.

--------------------
please don't take away my highway shoes..

Write In Your Vote.com - US Politics. For the People, by the People.

Everything posted by the user(s) Headieherbs is either an outright lie or a work of complete fiction

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Quick question for the guru, RR... [Re: headieherbs]
    #6868997 - 05/03/07 07:15 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, me too...jars are okay sitting on a shelf with direct fluorescent light all day?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #6870039 - 05/03/07 10:58 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

I've answered that question at least 100 times in the last six months, and many times previous to that. I answered it again three posts up from this one. How many times do I need to repeat myself?

If you don't want to accept it from me, fine. Go visit stamets place. He has 10,000 square feet of colonization area with commercial spawn bags incubating under fluorescent lights all day long.

Light is a secondary pinning trigger. It isn't one of the primary pinning triggers.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineSnaggletooth
Stranger in a Strange Land
Male User Gallery

Loc: blinks stupidly
    #6870111 - 05/03/07 11:10 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
I've answered that question at least 100 times in the last six months, and many times previous to that.  I answered it again three posts up from this one.  How many times do I need to repeat myself?

If you don't want to accept it from me, fine.  Go visit stamets place.  He has 10,000 square feet of colonization area with commercial spawn bags incubating under fluorescent lights all day long.

Light is a secondary pinning trigger.  It isn't one of the primary pinning triggers.
RR

hehehe...yeah don't give up man, your doing a great job. A thankless job, but your restlessness will work and does not go unnoticed.

Demystifying mushrooms :cheers:

--------------------

Atheist Chat

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Quick question for the guru, RR... [Re: Snaggletooth]
    #6870145 - 05/03/07 11:16 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

:smile: I searched and was reading around and couldn't find any of your posts on the subject :smile:

Thanks again RR :smile:

OfflineBlufNBrent
The Man

#6871353 - 05/04/07 08:22 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

RR your help is greatly appreciated.

--------------------
Just 4 Laughs, I would not in anyway break state, local or federal laws.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags