Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblelsg1
lsg1
 User Gallery

Loc: shoulders of giants
Agar supplies
    #6854622 - 04/30/07 05:09 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive vendor of supplies needed for agar culture [e.g., agar components, petri dishes], that has quick order turnaround time? I love Sporeworks, but I assume that other general laboratory supply sites will have better deals on these supplies than a mycology-related site like Sporeworks.

Thanks.

--------------------
I'm interested in Kombucha cultivation!  Send me a kombucha baby, and I'll send you the cost of shipping.  I promise to give away at least 5 babies for every baby I receive this way. :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitV
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Re: Agar supplies [Re: lsg1]
    #6855732 - 04/30/07 09:41 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

You can find lots of petri dish suppliers with a google search. The best deals come when you buy a box of 500. However, I believe it's against forum guidelines to post their links here if it's products our vendors carry.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineCryogenicz
what?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Agar supplies [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6855748 - 04/30/07 09:44 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

We Sell petri dishes now.

-Graham

--------------------
www.MycoPath.com
Mushroom Spawn, Cultures, Fungi Bags, Casings, Master Grain Jars, Bags for In-vitro, Laboratory supplies, and much more!
Mushroom Supplies. Fast Turnaround Times. Great Service.
orders@mycopath.com
enter code shroomery for 10% off product.

www.FungiForum.com

Invisiblelsg1
lsg1
 User Gallery

Loc: shoulders of giants
Re: Agar supplies [Re: Cryogenicz]
    #6856079 - 04/30/07 10:46 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks Graham. I noticed you are having a sale on Sterile Malt Agar Extract. Approximately how many of the 15mm dishes you could fill with the contents of one of your MAE jars?

--------------------
I'm interested in Kombucha cultivation!  Send me a kombucha baby, and I'll send you the cost of shipping.  I promise to give away at least 5 babies for every baby I receive this way. :smile:

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
    #6857156 - 05/01/07 07:23 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Here are some plastic petri dishes - http://www.mycosupply.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=DPDI01

Glass dishes - http://www.mycosupply.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=PGPD01

Pre-poured plates -http://www.mycosupply.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=PPSM01

Myco Supply also sells Malt Extract Agar, Potato Dextrose Agar and other culture tools.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me.

Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

InvisibleArp
roving mycophagist
 User Gallery

Loc: in a van by the river
Re: Agar supplies [Re: Lana]
    #6857252 - 05/01/07 08:22 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Any European vendors I could look into for glass dishes and agar ingredients? I always get a huge tax when I order from the states (30-40% or something) :crazy:

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Re: Agar supplies [Re: Arp]
    #6857670 - 05/01/07 10:29 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

It is likely you can find everything you need locally. For hobby work food grade agar is just fine. Check local healthfood and asian food stores. 10 grams of biological grade agar is good for 500ml which is enough for a sleeve of 20 sterile petris. Food grade agar generally has a lesser gel strength so you might have to increase the amount slightly.

Standard formulas for fungi include malt extract agar and potato dextrose agar. Malt is the easiest. Look for light malt extract in powder form at beer brewing suppliers. 10 grams is good for 500ml agar.

Potato dextrose agar is just boiled potato water (I save the boiling water when making mashed potatos in the freezer) and dextrose which can also be found at brewing suppliers.

Petris might be harder to find, but you can get by with small glass jars such as baby food or half pint canning jars. The problem with these is you can't look directly down at the agar because of the lid. A trick I have used in the past is get the tall halfpint canning jars and use them for large slants. You fill the jar about 1/3 full and tip them while molten so the agar surface can be viewed from the side when set. You need to make sure the bottom of the jar has enough agar to span the entire width or the set agar will tend to slump when set upright.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

OfflineCryogenicz
what?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #6857788 - 05/01/07 11:03 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

1 jar(500ml) can make 20 petris, 1 sleeve.

-Graham

--------------------
www.MycoPath.com
Mushroom Spawn, Cultures, Fungi Bags, Casings, Master Grain Jars, Bags for In-vitro, Laboratory supplies, and much more!
Mushroom Supplies. Fast Turnaround Times. Great Service.
orders@mycopath.com
enter code shroomery for 10% off product.

www.FungiForum.com

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules