Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePeace_Patrol
Rambling hippie
Loc: Electric Neverending
Advice on aquarium heaters for incubation?
    #684989 - 06/17/02 11:19 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Hey everyone
Well I have some PF jars of B+ colonising OK, but far from optimal due to temps varying from 90 to 60 depending on when i can heat it which is kind of a bitch, and I know that I will never be able to have a good flush with this shitty teperature control. So today I went to the pet store as I am considering making the double-box style 'water bath' incubator, and I need a fish tank heater.
Luckily the store I went to has a lot of heaters on sale for $49.95 (about $20 - $22 US) and they range from 100w to 250w.
I was just wondering what wattages you guys use, and also is there any DISADVANTAGE in going with the highest wattage for money? (They are all the same price)

Also anyone have any tips / advice on incubation?

Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Advice on aquarium heaters for incubation? [Re: Peace_Patrol]
    #685040 - 06/18/02 01:29 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

go for the highest wattage if they are all the same price. it will have a built in thermostat (i hope/presume). a higher wattage should mean it has a thicker/longer heating wire. it will therfore have to turn itself on for only short periods at a time to reach the correct temp and then turn off and hence extend the life of the heating element/wire. mine is 150W and i rarely see it turned on

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Advice on aquarium heaters for incubation? [Re: blackout]
    #685173 - 06/18/02 04:37 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Okay, I sorta remember reading in PF Tek that any kind of heating in the aquarium will work agansit the efforts to completely humidify the aquarium. Anyone know for sure?

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OnlineDERRAYLD
Constructus
Male User Gallery
Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Advice on aquarium heaters for incubation? [Re: fireworks_god]
    #685178 - 06/18/02 04:41 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

You`re confused there, you need to heat the incubating jars so the double tank style heating mechanism works really well.
When it`s fruiting time heating helps as well, need to maintain a good temp for your fruits.
As far as humidity goes, if you noticed reduced humidity from overheating just bring in some air exchange or increase humidity.

OfflineTrippingBillies
SpaceCruiser
Loc: Pangea
    #685244 - 06/18/02 05:18 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I don't know if you already have an incubator setup, but I have never used one. I take my jars in a shoe box and place them ontop of a magazine ontop of the tv cable box. Leave the cable box on all the time. Ever feel the top of it, it's warm. People say that this might dry out the cakes but the temp is so suttle I've never had any probs.

--------------------
"It's so obvious it's hard to understand."

OfflinePeace_Patrol
Rambling hippie
Loc: Electric Neverending
    #689504 - 06/20/02 01:12 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Hey everyone
I got a 300 watter. Now I am kinda wondering if this is a bit TOO big? Will it suck up heaps of power, or will it be more economical than say a 150w due to being on for even shorter amouts of time?

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #691614 - 06/20/02 09:53 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

it will be on for half the time that the 150W would be so the electricity will cost the same (which is tiny anyway)

OfflineJericho6909
Re: Advice on aquarium heaters for incubation? [Re: blackout]
    #692889 - 06/21/02 03:32 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I have a chamber w/ a 150W heater in about 2.5" of h2o2 water and my temp has been pegged at 86-87F steady w/ humidity at about 90%. When I have checked, its been 50/50 whether or not the heater light has been on. I think I paid $25 for the 150W heater. I just put some small holes in the outter rubbermaid to try and bring the humidity down a bit. At this point I'm just monitoring the conditions of the chamber before I put some jars in there. I recently took the lid off and my humidity dropped from 91% to 67% quickly which was interesting. 150W seems to do fine but I've seen other ppl say 100W works good too.

Edited by Jericho6909 (06/21/02 03:33 PM)

OfflinesBUD
enthusiast
    #693036 - 06/21/02 05:48 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Hey on my first try i didnt use the incubator, just used a drawer and put it close to the heater..but some1 told me about the incubator and i find it controls the temp better and is more reliable. Here's how i set mines up:

Used 2 big ass containers the same size. Took 4 1/2 pint jarz and spread dem evenly on the bottom (used to prevent the heater from touching the containders) and in the middle i placed the acquarium heater. set the dial at 86F (have a 150 watt , i think). filled wit water til it was about 2" above the jarz. then i placed the other container over the jarz and it sorta floats. Take a towel and lay it on the bottom of the second box. Place ur jarz here and also put a digital hygrometer (takes the temp and humidity) there alongside. I then cover all the jarz wit a few more towels and put the lid over the container (that way no lite gets in) U have less to worry about, jus check it from time to time. Dont 4get to mix peroxide wit the water (so it dont get smelly) and spray inside the second container wit some lysol ..doesnt hurt! U can also put ur casing in the incubator too..at least i did

btw my heater cost about 35 bux and has suction cups but it wouldnt hurt to also get a cheap thermometer and put it in wit the heater jus to double check...sometimes those acq heaters are off a bit, so having a second reading may help.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix