Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleantimatt3r
umumz
Female

Loc: the earf
casing question!
    #6831251 - 04/25/07 09:19 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I am in the process of making a casing as I am typing this. I inoculated 4 jars GT on 4/4. I used my own made syringe and used the whole syringe on 4 jars to speed colonization times. The cakes have been white on the outside for 3 days. As I am crumbling the cakes they are fully colonoized except for maybe 1 square inch right in the middle of the cake. When I crumble the cake it crumbles very easy and one was even a little "gooey". I have the crumbled cakes in seperate zip lock bags. I am wondering if I should leave the cakes in the bags overnight to let them colonize a little more or should I just go ahead and put them on the casing?
Thanks for your input!!!!

--------------------
Everything and anything said by this person or thru this account is completely fictional and/or hypothetical fantasy and should not be taken seriously and do not reflect the views or actions of the account holder.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSillyButtons
Naughty Santa
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Pole
Re: casing question! [Re: antimatt3r]
    #6831269 - 04/25/07 09:22 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

You only want to put fully colonized substrates in the FC. If that means a couple/few days in the bag to finish, so be it.

Happy Trails,
SB

--------------------
Travel on the cheap. Be a cultural ambassador. Spend the night on a stranger's couch!

www.couchsurfing.com

Invisibleantimatt3r
umumz
Female

Re: casing question! [Re: SillyButtons]
    #6831294 - 04/25/07 09:31 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

thanks!! its not even 1 sq. in. uncolonized area, its more like .5 inches, a spot about the size of a nickel in the center/top

I just hope cakes are safe in a bag, crumbled

--------------------
Everything and anything said by this person or thru this account is completely fictional and/or hypothetical fantasy and should not be taken seriously and do not reflect the views or actions of the account holder.

Edited by antimatt3r (04/25/07 09:31 AM)

OfflineunCIVALIZEd
FreeThinker

#6831301 - 04/25/07 09:32 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

still, no uncolonized substrate. you wouldnt want all of that hard work to goto waster via contams.

--------------------
"An atheist loves himself and fellow man instead of a god, an atheist accepts that he can get no help through prayer, but that he must find in himself the inner conviction and strength to meet life, to grapple with it, subdue it and enjoy it!"

OfflineBaph
If I Ever NeedReligion illWorshipChocolate Cake
Male

Re: casing question! [Re: unCIVALIZEd]
    #6831317 - 04/25/07 09:40 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I've cased 75% colonized substrate before and have never had a problem.(expeirement on my part)
of course it's best to wait,but after 3 days incubation there still ready for the FC.
The only thing I noticed by doing this is that it just takes a few extra days to pin.
Good Luck

Edited by Baph (04/25/07 09:40 AM)

Invisibleantimatt3r
umumz
Female

Re: casing question! [Re: unCIVALIZEd]
    #6831324 - 04/25/07 09:41 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

ok all 4 cakes are now in pushed to the corner of a baggie and twist tied off.... i guess ill give them a couple days to resume growth. I hope that breaking them up, then having them grow more, then breaking them up again dosent damage the mycelium network too much!

--------------------

OfflineSillyButtons
Naughty Santa
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Pole
    #6831329 - 04/25/07 09:43 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

IME cakes will be perfectly happy in bags for as long as necessary. I recently saw a post by RR saying that your will get pins quicker if you leave your colonizing cakes in the incubator for 5 days after 100% colonization. Something about the myc being able to digest what they just ate... Easily search-able... Good luck.

SB

--------------------
Travel on the cheap. Be a cultural ambassador. Spend the night on a stranger's couch!

www.couchsurfing.com

Invisibleantimatt3r
umumz
Female

#6831333 - 04/25/07 09:44 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

the cakes are definatley at least 90% colonized. One of them may have been closer to 80%. I think I will go ahead and case.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #6831357 - 04/25/07 09:53 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Three things:

1) There is virtually no benefit to crumbling and casing pf cakes. They are already 2/3 vermiculite when you make them, and the casing layer adds no food for the mycelium. Dunk and roll is superior to crumbling and casing because it produces fruits just as large, and produces them a week to ten day sooner because the cakes don't have to recover from the damage caused by breaking them up.

2) NEVER attempt to use a cake or other spawn that is not 100% colonized PLUS one week. The mycelium needs a week to consolidate its hold on the substrate. You greatly increase the chances of contamination and/or failure by not following the above.

3) Using massive amounts of spore solution is counter productive. You generate so many strains by doing so, that not all of them are able to consolidate into a single organism via anastomosis. Therefore your cakes end up having more than one strain at fruiting time, and not all strains are fruiting strains. While the jar may turn 'white' sooner by using massive spore inoculation, performance suffers. The minimum amount of spores is the correct amount, as you're more assured of good performance at fruiting time. In addition, since no print is 100% clean, using massive amounts of spores also injects more contaminants into the substrate at the same time. It's like playing Russian roulette, except with two bullets in the chamber instead of just one.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisibleantimatt3r
umumz
Female

Re: casing question! [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6831657 - 04/25/07 10:52 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks RR. Im glad I still got 5 cakes that will be ready in 10 days or so. I went ahead and made a small casing with the 4 cakes. We'll see what happens. I'm learning more and more as I go!!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags