Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemoon_glue
Orwell's Post9/11 Era
Male

Loc: Earth, today...
Too much light is bad!
    #6828671 - 04/24/07 06:31 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

So i had a casing under a light in my box. the myc on top of the MGMC had allmost dissapeard. I took of the light and set it in front of a window. Within two days the myc recovered, and today i notice two large pins!! and many smaller ones

maybe it was the heat or the light, dunno. But the caseing dont need misting every couple hours now, once or twice a day seems to do it.

Now... what to put in a spare box rigged with excess lighting? :bongroll:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLiquidkick
H2O
Re: Too much light is bad! [Re: moon_glue]
    #6828691 - 04/24/07 06:41 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I have always used a flouresant light. I leave me light on them for 12 hours a day.

I get lots of pins and i do not notice any retreat in MYC.

Offlinemoon_glue
Orwell's Post9/11 Era
Male

Loc: Earth, today...
Re: Too much light is bad! [Re: Liquidkick]
    #6828723 - 04/24/07 06:50 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I think my problem was a heat problem. Next tme im making a plexiglass lid so the lgiht can stay outside the FC. i need to build a bigger F.C. my curernt one is about 1 1/2 cubic feet

Offlinecookeman
Live and let live
Male User Gallery

#6828755 - 04/24/07 06:56 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Definitely sounds like a heat issue. What kind of light were you using? They don't need much at all. I use christmas lights on a 12/12 schedule. I'd buy a different light rather than build something to use the one you have. Seems like it gives off too much heat.

--------------------
“Let’s put it this way – to lump psychedelic mushrooms into the same group as methamphetamine is like lumping the Bible into the same group as Mein Kampf.
I mean shit; they’re both books, right?”

Joe Rogan

R.I.P. - "Bones" - One of the greatest people I've ever had the pleasure of getting to know and become friends with.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Too much light is bad! [Re: cookeman]
    #6829269 - 04/24/07 08:41 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Incandescent light bulbs put out 90% of their energy as heat and only 10% as light. Fluorescent tubes reverse that by putting out 90% of their energy as light, and only 10% as heat. Regardless of the type of light, it should not be placed inside the terrarium. Your problem was not too much light, but too much heat.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: Too much light is bad! [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6829689 - 04/24/07 10:21 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I have always had great results with just the lighting in the room where I had my greenhouses,no special timer or anything,if I was home they were on and if I was out they were off,that simple:thumbup:

Offlinesmkpt
Stranger
Male
Loc: Oregon
Re: Too much light is bad! [Re: Blutjager]
    #6829706 - 04/24/07 10:24 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

what is the least and most amount of light mushrooms can have?

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #6830799 - 04/25/07 05:43 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Incandescent light bulbs put out 90% of their energy as heat and only 10% as light. Fluorescent tubes reverse that by putting out 90% of their energy as light, and only 10% as heat. Regardless of the type of light, it should not be placed inside the terrarium. Your problem was not too much light, but too much heat.
RR

So true!

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Invisiblev1ru5
Student
Loc: Finland
Re: Too much light is bad! [Re: smkpt]
    #6830823 - 04/25/07 06:07 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

[quote="smkpt"] what is the least and most amount of light mushrooms can have?

In "The Mushroom Cultivator" by Paul Stamets, he says that 50 milliseconds of light per day is enough for fruiting. That's 0.05 Seconds.

About the max amount - dunno, there isn't probably such thing - coz on that one study that used three HPS's, 100w, 250w and a 400w, plus some fluoroscents (even one "plant fluoroscent" with a purple-like balanced spectrum), they saw no difference between growth.. They used multiple timing schedules and those also seemed to make no difference..

What you learn about this? Lights with mushrooms are basically useless, as long as they get that 50ms of some light.

Hope this answered your question :smile:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Too much light is bad! [Re: v1ru5]
    #6831456 - 04/25/07 10:11 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

In "The Mushroom Cultivator" by Paul Stamets, he says that 50 milliseconds of light per day is enough for fruiting. That's 0.05 Seconds.

Which is complete bullshit, and I've said so many times. Just because something is in a book, does not make it true. TMC is also wrong about 86F being the best temperature for cubensis growth. The truth is that growth falls off very rapidly at 83F and above. I've tested that many times in controlled conditions.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6831953 - 04/25/07 11:56 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

Which is complete bullshit, and I've said so many times. Just because something is in a book, does not make it true. TMC is also wrong about 86F being the best temperature for cubensis growth. The truth is that growth falls off very rapidly at 83F and above. I've tested that many times in controlled conditions.
RR

Actually one needs to understand what is being said 50 milliseconds of light is all that is needed TO TRIGGER pinning meaning some pinning can occur but from my experience duration as well as intensity have a direct relationship on pinset numbers. As far as 86F. this is relating to internal core temp and maximum linear growth in the vegetative stage. I have always preached the same thing temps need to be a couple of degrees lower than this to take into account for this (core temp). GL

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineSC_shaman
Engineering myMind....
 User Gallery

#6831992 - 04/25/07 12:03 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

What kind of light are you using? As stated above, there is prolly too much heat coming off the light. I'd suggest using a clear lid on your box, or plexiglass as you said.

Go to walmart, I bought a 'Grow Light' for like $9-$12. Its a flourecent light that leans towards the blue/purple end of the spectrum. This works well suspended above a clear topped FC.

Good luck.

--------------------
join me on my spiritual journey.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Too much light is bad! [Re: hyphae]
    #6832025 - 04/25/07 12:10 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

My experiments were done on petri dishes. In the flat plane of the petri dish, there is no appreciable heating that could be detected with an IR camera. The mycelium showed the same heat signature as the ambient surface of the agar surrounding it.

Growth peaked between 75F and 81F, then fell off slightly at 82F, and began a rapid slide down at 83F and above. By 86F, the rate of growth had slowed to about 60% of what it was in the 75F to 81F range. Since this figure contradicted what I had read so many times before, I repeated the experiments several times with various strains. The results were always the same.

The significant part of this experiment showed that rate of growth did not increase at all by heating above 75F. However, at higher temperatures, bacteria and thermophilic molds are stimulated. This is why I recommend colonizing at 'normal' room temperature.

Those who have followed this and used room temperature colonization have generally been in agreement on these figures. If your colonization room is less than 75F, find a way to elevate the temperature to that level, but I've found no need or benefit to heat beyond that level, and lots of reasons not to.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Offlineboatshow
Stranger

#6833489 - 04/25/07 05:17 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

It's the truth. I always incubated at 85ish degrees, then recently switched to about 77-79 degrees, and it makes a difference.

--------------------
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked,
Dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix,
Angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night

OfflineunCIVALIZEd
FreeThinker

Re: Too much light is bad! [Re: boatshow]
    #6833517 - 04/25/07 05:23 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

i started on the reverse end of the spectrum. i incubated at room temp here 60-65 way slow. bumped it up to 80 with a heater and it took off so ithink there is a happy medium.

--------------------
"An atheist loves himself and fellow man instead of a god, an atheist accepts that he can get no help through prayer, but that he must find in himself the inner conviction and strength to meet life, to grapple with it, subdue it and enjoy it!"

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6833704 - 04/25/07 06:08 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Well I'm sure your experiments were controlled I just wonder exactly how many controlled experiments Paul, JS Chilton or Jeremy Bigwood have done before before putting their names on the line? I'm sure it was done with many cubensis strains isolated as well. I certainly agree contams proliferate at higher temps IF they are present. This is not a closed case IMO yet. I am glad to see your results as well RR as this and every finding I come across goes into the old database until I personally do a few controlled findings myself.:thumbup:

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom