Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Re: Canadian Tire Pressure cookers
    #68198 - 12/11/99 03:57 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Greetings & Salutations!
I'm not sure what the exchange value between CDN dollars and US currently is, however, I have the same type of pressure cooker (Mirro brand- 22 Quart) for which only cost $70 US). I assume that because you only mentioned three settings (5psi,10psi,15psi) that this is an "old style" cooker in reference to the heavy, round plug which sits on top and is postioned differently for each psi. These work great and are much more economical. However, after much use, you MUST be sure to check for clogging! Heavy mineral-laden water can clog the safety pressure release, thereby making your pressure cooker a pressure bomb. Nevertheless, simply rinse all pressure relief in vinegar, just as you would descale mineral deposits for a coffee brewer.
Alternatively, you could spend a substantial amount more and purchase a "new generation" pressure cooker which has a permanently attached pressure dial which only needs to be adjusted for a multitude of pressure settings. Another nice option is the damper knobs which allow you to seal the pressure cooker in a more reliable fashion than the "twist on seal" of the "old style."
Also, if you're out there Gorgeous Tortoise, you may want to invest in some food grade quality "grease." Spread this vaseline-type jelly thinly around the rubber gasket seal inside your lid (found wherever kegging equipment is sold or at www.homebrewheaven.com). It might help to reseal your lid effectively.

------------------
"Who is John Galt?"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecrispy
enthusiast
    #68200 - 12/12/99 12:06 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

The Mirro cookers are good. It takes a couple of rounds before you feel confident using it. The proper way to use the pressure cooker is to bring the water inside the cooker to a boil at the lowest temp possible, usually a medium high setting on the stove. Then let steam vent out for 3-5 minutes before putting the weight in place. The stove is turned down to medium-low and you start timing (45 minutes at 15 psi for example). Don't use petroleum jelly to lube the gasket, it will break down the rubber. But you knew that because we all use condoms :smile: Go for the 22qt. job, you won't regret it :wink:

Anonymous

#68201 - 12/12/99 02:26 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

I find that Palmolive or any other dish soap works really well to lubricate and or seal the gasket for the pressure cookers. If you lubricate it all the time, the gasket will last substantially longer....

Anonymous

#68202 - 12/12/99 02:23 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Maybe someone call fill me in...

I understand why a pressure cooker would need a good seal to work properly, but I don't understand how not having a good seal could result in water leaking into my jars. I'm sure it's just a matter of me not understanding how a pressure cooker works. I was under the impression that a pressure cooker simply increases the pressure within the pot, thus allowing the water to boil at a different temperature.

GT

Anonymous

#68203 - 12/12/99 02:45 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Check around in pawn shops and second hand stores you'll most likely find a good pressure cooker much cheaper then new, just make sure the seal is good.

GorgeousTortoise, the water boils in the pot creating steam, you lock that steam in the pot (with a good seal) and it builds pressure. the pressure forces the steam into and around the jars but also keeps the water from splashing and bubbling up and around inside the pot and into your jars. an added benefit is that the steam is much hotter then the water and does a better job of steralizings your jars. A bad, leaking seal doesnt allow this to happen so it's more like a tightly covered pot then a pressure cooker.
hope this helps.

------------------
sat in a tree for a while got my life back

Offlinetrex
    #68204 - 12/13/99 12:42 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

www.ebay.com always has some pressure cookers for sale..buyer beware..make sure you check your seelers feedback from previous customers!

------------------
Lately I've been thinking about who's in charge and if they're looking down and laughing hard. And are they Aliens or robots or humanoids or gods, I think I'm just paranoid. FUCK IT LETS ROCK
Smashmouth Philosophy

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale