Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinetonyperez420
Shaman Rasta

ab machines
    #6807509 - 04/19/07 05:29 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I am trying to tone my stomach up a bit and was thinking about purchasing an ab machine?
I indulge too much on my munchies

Can anybody suggest one that really works out of experience
One that allows you to stretch your abdominal 180 degrees is preferable

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinerubixcubies
porch monkey ferlyfe
Male User Gallery

Loc: ottawa on
Re: ab machines [Re: tonyperez420]
    #6807514 - 04/19/07 05:35 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

hmm i dunno of one but you could just watch some infomercials until one fancies your likings. or you could try yoga, it works well for me.

OfflineEightball
whore consumer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: ab machines [Re: rubixcubies]
    #6807519 - 04/19/07 05:41 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

crunches and situps (and eventually inclined). some plastic and metal or electrodes aint gonna help u

--------------------
If you're frightened of dying and you're holding on.you'll see devils tearing your life away.
But...if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels
Freeing you from the earth.

Offlinetonyperez420
Shaman Rasta

Re: ab machines [Re: Eightball]
    #6807537 - 04/19/07 06:05 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I do crunches and sit ups... but they do not isolate my stomache as much as I would like...

RUBIXCUBIES... I actually got one on my mind from an infomercial... I was stoned and stuffing my face with munchies in the early morning but I remember it being "ab gold" or something like that
I was hoping somebody would chime in and be like "I got that one and it works" lol

let see what happens :crazy2:

Invisiblekaniz
That one, overthere.
Male

Loc: Ontario
    #6807552 - 04/19/07 06:17 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Well, hate to burst your bubble - you could spend 30 mins a day, every day on any of the ab machines, but unless you make changes to your diet and start hitting up cardio heavily - all you will do is end up with muscular abs under a layer of fat.

I've been using the ab rocker, and find that it has helped me. The thing with the ab rocker - just make sure you are contracting with your ABS when your doing the movement, and not pulling up with your arms. Use it as a tool to help keep you in proper form, not as something to complete the movement for you.

Mind you, in using this, I've also

- cut out a large amount of fatty foods
- pretty much eliminate sugar from my diet
- do intense cardio 30x a week
- walk everywhere I go
- lift weights 3x a week

and, at the end of my workout, I'll do 120 situps using the ab rocker. I've lost over 50 pounds and over 4 inches off my waist, and now starting to see some tone/definition in my abs.

That being said, I've started to notice a pleatu in my gains from the ab rocker, and think I need to move onto a more effective way of working my abs. You may want to check out

10 most effective ab exercises

But, I hate to be the one to tell you : Unless you make this part of an over-all workout routine that also includes cardio, you will NOT get the results that you want.

InvisiblecoAsTal
Friend
 User Gallery

Loc: 8a
Re: ab machines [Re: kaniz]
    #6807695 - 04/19/07 07:36 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

If you have fat on your stomach, you can have the most glorious six-pack in the world, and you're still going to look fat.

Working the muscles in your stomach will make them stronger, but alone, WILL NOT have any significant impact on your appearance.

Let me specify clearly, because it is a key lesson in body/strength/weight training:

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS SPOT-WEIGHT REDUCTION

They sell those stupid fucking machines on TV because there are lazy fat-asses on the couch who really think the gorgeous models using them got so sexy in "just 12 minutes a week".

It's flagrant, embarrassingly false, MARKETING.

If you have a fat concentration anywhere on your body, be it your ass, stomach, hips, or wherever, the ONLY way to remove it is, like kaniz said, to work your ENTIRE body.

Think about it:

The body stores fat because you are putting more sugars/carbs into it than it needs for your metabolic rate and activity level and can eliminate, so it stores them as excess. As FAT.

The body chooses this location based on your hard-wired genetics, so you can't un-choose it by doing a bunch of work on that one area, since it's STILL the WHOLE BODY's storage area for excess energy storage!

Your goal is to use up the WHOLE BODY'S excess/stored energy supply by asking your body to use it--and this ONLY happens by a combination of:

1) REDUCING YOUR INTAKE OF SIMPLE SUGARS/CARBS-- END consumption of ALL sugars/sweets, and remember that almost everything popular today is loaded to the slimy gills with them-- anything with "high fructose corn syrup" should be avoided like the plague, along with white rices, starches, and such that are converted straight to hi-energy simple sugars, and if not used/expended right away---you guessed it--get stored by the body as FAT.

Complex carbs, like whole-wheats, BROWN RICE (heard that one on here before, haven't you :wink: ) and things like that take longer to get processed into sugars/energy the body can use--making them (to use a car-analogy) far more like gasoline than nitrous-oxide"NOS"--which is exactly how your body sees simple sugars. Simple sugars have almost no place in a healthy diet. You can lift mountains and run miles with absolutely nothing but complex carbs (since they, too, get turned into simple sugars by the body... just after more metabolic processing)

2) INCREASE YOUR METABOLIC RATE by EXERCISING YOUR WHOLE BODY-- think about it this way-- (this is the analogy I came up with that's always made it make sense for me)--
what burns more gas: driving your car faster, or turning up the radio and A/C while coasting?
You need your entire body to use more energy in order to offset it's predisposition (in the slower-metabolistic folks, anyway) to putt along and store the unused energy being taken in.

The best way to do this is to USE the only thing that already loves to eat energy in your body: MUSCLES! You can make your muscles burn energy without getting too large (ladies often have this complaint/excuse for not working out--"I don't want to look like the Terminator to be healthy", bla, bla, bla :rolleyes: ) by using high-repetitions with low-weights.

This is the afore-mentioned AEROBIC EXERCISE.
(Think of this type as making your car go faster and further with the same engine(though burning more gas to do it). )

The other type is high-weight, muscle-growing:
ANAEROBIC EXERCISE.
This is ripping out that pussy 4-cylinder and dropping in a Chevy small-block V8 :headbanger:

Larger/more muscle = more tissue to burn energy = less chance that what you eat gets stored.

Thing is, your abs alone are really small muscles compared to your overall body, and therefore don't "eat" that much energy (to use an expression :wink: ) by themselves. Even if you work the fuck out of them, they can only burn so much-- give me the brightest candle in the world, and you STILL won't heat a room with it!

Working your entire body out has all of the body's collective points of energy consumption sucking up those bits of fat-energy laying around... and remember-- the first place your body will go to find that energy is your diet--looking for simple sugars... THIS IS WHERE SO MANY PEOPLE FUCK THEMSELVES WHEN TRYING A HALF-ASS APPROACH TO GETTING FIT!!!
You can throw on the sweat suit and go all Rocky Balboa, but unless you stop eating the cesspool of simple sugars in your daily meals, all that hard work is getting funneled right into the shitter, because the body is sucking those raw sugars straight into your gut to replace what is being burned with your exercise.

If you follow this advice and don't give your body that cheat/shortcut, it will have to go to the genetically-dictated fat/energy storage center--in your case, your stomach! :smile:

There's a lot more to this science, but now you have the basics.

You make your muscles stronger/more efficient by working them out. This makes them require more energy to operate. In concert with a smart diet, with less raw sugars, your body will USE those "currently" extra levels of energy instead of storing them as fat.

Simple :smile:

:goodluck:

--------------------
I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the Heart's affections and the truth of Imagination--  John Keats

Spore Trading List

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #6807702 - 04/19/07 07:39 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

kaniz said:
- do intense cardio 30x a week

Holy shit I didn't know it was that difficult.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Invisiblekaniz
That one, overthere.
Male

Re: ab machines [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #6807768 - 04/19/07 08:05 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Oops, meant 3x a week :smile: typo.

Generally my workouts are

- 20 min walk to the gym
- 10 mins cardio (warmup)
- weights - 4 to 5 machines per day depending on the day, over the course of the week I work my entire body back/shoulders/arms/legs/chest/etc
- 34 mins cardio (intense)
- 4x30 situps
- stretching
- sauna
- 20 min walk back home

When combined with an improved diet. I'm not 'dieting' - I dont belive in dieting. But, been making healtheir choices in what I eat - more vege, move fiber, brown instead of white bread, cutting out junk food, pop, etc, I've lost over 50 pounds in 8 months and still going. I've sort of leveled off to how much weight I want to lose (180 on a 6ft4 frame), and now starting to change things up a bit to start getting some muscle. I'm sort of 'skinny fat' now - lost lots of weight, but not much tone/definition and still a bit soft around the edges.

Oh, and your lower body consists of most of your muscle mass, work the hell out of your lower body with weights/etc, and that'll be a big help, as muscle burns more calories than fat does, so if you can get nice musuclar legs (dont ingore the rest of your body though), it can be a help all around.

and, walking does help - I'm lucky and live downtown in a big city, and 90% of what I need to get to I can walk to in about 40 mins or less. School is a 20-30 min walk away depending on the class, work about a 35 min walk away, gym about a 20-25 min walk away, grocery store just down the street, doctor, dentist, all within a 15 min walk, as are most of my friends, theaters, shopping centers, clubs I like going to, etc -- while a lone 20 min walk on it's own may not be much, when your doing 20-40 min walks a few times a day, every day of the week - it does add up.

Edited by kaniz (04/19/07 08:08 AM)

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #6807774 - 04/19/07 08:08 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Hey what do you recommend for leg exercises to someone with bad knees? I can't do squats or leg extensions. And I don't have a gym membership.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

InvisiblecoAsTal
Friend
 User Gallery

#6807779 - 04/19/07 08:09 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

kaniz said:
I'm not 'dieting' - I dont belive in dieting.

OK...

Quote:

But, been making healtheir choices in what I eat - more vege, move fiber, brown instead of white bread, cutting out junk food, pop, etc,

Ahem... that is a 'diet'. :wink:

But a good one
:cheers:

--------------------
I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the Heart's affections and the truth of Imagination--  John Keats

Spore Trading List

InvisiblecoAsTal
Friend
 User Gallery

#6807782 - 04/19/07 08:10 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

kaniz said:
I'm not 'dieting' - I dont belive in dieting.

OK...
Quote:

But, been making healtheir choices in what I eat - more vege, move fiber, brown instead of white bread, cutting out junk food, pop, etc,

Ahem... that's a 'diet'.

But a good one :cheers:

--------------------

Spore Trading List

OfflineVampireSlayer
killing ghosts,zombies andvampires forlife
Male User Gallery

Re: ab machines [Re: coAsTal]
    #6807803 - 04/19/07 08:16 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

losing weight is simply burning more colories than you take in. Eat less food and excersize and you're sure to lose fat.

--------------------
I Don't come to fight flesh and blood but spiritual wickedness in high and low places

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: ab machines [Re: VampireSlayer]
    #6807814 - 04/19/07 08:21 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

or you can just slowly cook yourself like in a hot pool, and the butter should melt right off yah

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Invisiblekaniz
That one, overthere.
Male

Re: ab machines [Re: VampireSlayer]
    #6807821 - 04/19/07 08:23 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

There is a difference between dieting, and making healthier choices with food.

To me, a diet is something like : Doing atkins, or the 'south beach diet', or cutting out all carbs/all fat/whatever. And, generally something that you do as a short-term fix, ie: "I want to lose 10 pounds to fit into a suit for a wedding", and not a long-term life-style change.

I'll still eat pizza, or grab a beer and wings with my friends, or mow down on a hamburger now and then. That being said, I'm also a bit more aware of what I'm eating, and generally - the food I crave is now different than it used to be at this time a month ago.

Now, if I'm craving something sweet - I'll grab an apple, or some grapes. If I grab say, a chocolate bar - I find it too sugary/thick and end up feeling gross after.

I still eat what I want when I want generally, its just that /what/ I want tends to be different now than it used to be. I'm more inclined to double up on a spinach salad with my meal, than say - an extra serving of meat, or packing up on desserts.

There is a difference between going on a diet, and making healthier choices IMO.

OfflineAlCapwn
ID Reset, take that subpoena

Loc: Canada
Re: ab machines [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #6807828 - 04/19/07 08:26 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

What about those things that shock your abs hahaha?

--------------------
Huuuuurrrrrr!

Invisibletiny_rabid_birds
Nocturnal
 User Gallery

Loc: estados unidos
Re: ab machines [Re: coAsTal]
    #6807831 - 04/19/07 08:28 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

kaniz, that's great that you've gotten in such better shape over a few short months. that's seriously impressive. not enough people have the discipline to do that, myself included.

tony, one thing to consider is genetics. as fucked up as it sounds.. some people simply can't get ripped, or rather it takes them a shit-ton more effort. other people barely have to work at all to maintain a body that looks "fit", even if they're really not so much so. So perhaps you shouldn't aim for super ripped abs, but just the overall satisfaction of knowing you are a healthier individual.

good luck.

--------------------

Invisiblekaniz
That one, overthere.
Male

#6807843 - 04/19/07 08:32 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

perhaps an example to illustrate my point:

Me and two friends went out for supper awhile ago, and just wanted standard 'pub grub', ie: greasy burgers, beers, french fries.

My one friend (Friend A), is on a bit of a health kick like me - eating better, working out, jogging, doing yoga, hell - he's even running marathons, and has also dropped about 50 pounds in the past year and gotten into great shape

My other friend (Friend :cool:, is on a 'diet' trying to loose weight, that being said - he aint doing so great at it.

For supper, me and Friend A order a nice big burger, an order of fries, and share a a few beers. Friend B, orders a salad and water because he's 'watching his weight' -- and out of the 3 of us, he weighs the most, is the least active, and the least fit - instead of trying to make better life-style changes to lose weight (work out, eat better as a whole, etc), he's trying a diet, of which he stuck to for about 2 months and then gave up on.

Quote:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
kaniz, that's great that you've gotten in such better shape over a few short months.  that's seriously impressive.  not enough people have the discipline to do that, myself included.

Thanks :smile: now I'm just trying to figure out how to fit this into my 9-5 work schedual that is coming up. I like working out in the mornings, but the past 8 months I've been a student, so have been able to wake up at around 7am, head to the gym for 8/9, work out till 11/2, then head to my afternoon class.

I *HATE* working out after work, its too busy, and I generally just want to get home. I'm now faced with a 'do I haul my ass out of bed at 5:30, to be at the gym for 6:30, so I can be at work for 9?' -- ack!

Suppose I could goto the gym 5x a week, and do 2 days of cardio, 3 days of weights and cut down my time at the gym to being 40-60 mins instead of nearly 2-3 hours.

Edited by kaniz (04/19/07 08:35 AM)

Invisibletiny_rabid_birds
Nocturnal
 User Gallery

Loc: estados unidos
    #6807867 - 04/19/07 08:44 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

7am every day? christ.. i don't usually go to sleep until at least 5.  i couldn't imagine getting up that early.

and that's crazy that you're generally at the gym for a full 2-3 hours.  actually.. i suppose it's not that crazy.  wrestling practic used to be at least 2 hours long in high school.  i guess i've just gotten lazy as hell over the past couple of years.  people like you make me feel like a bad person...:mad:

but seriously, that's great stuff dude, i hope you can get your schedule straightened out.

--------------------

Invisiblekaniz
That one, overthere.
Male

Re: ab machines [Re: tiny_rabid_birds]
    #6807909 - 04/19/07 08:57 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I kinda enjoy it though. Gives me some 'me' time for the day. About 45 mins is on cardio in total, 30-40 mins on weights, 20 mins on stretching, toss in the situps, then I usually like to sit my ass in the sauna for 15-20 mins at the end of it, toss in shower/change (oh, think I accidentally included the 20 min walk to/from the gym in that time estimation -- more of a 'total time gym takes out of my day', then 'time spent working out').

There is gym at the place I'm working at, but apparently they dont have that much equipment, only 1 elliptical, 3 or 4 treadmills, etc. What I might do, is get the membership there (its 40 bucks for a student for the entire summer), keep my YMCA membership and do a

- bike/blade to the gym
- workout there
- blade from gym to work
- shower/change at work

Cut the sauna out of the mix, and with biking, or blading, can cut down my commute time quite a bit.

The 1st few weeks of the gym were brutal though, I'd have to force myself to go, I'd get about 20 mins of cardio done, then feel disgusting after - tired, exhausted, would skip weights most days then just head home.

But, as you get used to it, your body adapts - and you just start to get really into it, there have been times where if I have nothing else going on that day, I can easily spend 3-4 hours at the gym and not even think twice about it. A good round of cardio leaves me buzzing on a high for awhile after, it feels GOOD to push my muscles on the machines, and I get a nice boost in energy for the rest of the day.

Now, if I miss a day or two at the gym for whatever reason - my body starts to feel sluggish and gross, and I cant wait for my next real workout. Its gone from something that felt like a chore, to something I really enjoy and look forward to doing.

OfflineColbadol
Reality Mechanic
Male

#6807996 - 04/19/07 09:37 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

just reading through the replies in this thread, it has occurred to me that drug-open-minded people know more about their bodies than most of the general public.

you guys are a very wise bunch. i have nothing else to add.

:cheers:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder