Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineblazey
Stranger
Male

Loc: kansas
vermiculite and BRF
    #6802345 - 04/17/07 11:50 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

just wondering how exact you really have to be on the mixture of the vermiculite and the BRF, cause i was using a pyrex measuring cup and they didnt have the exact measurements i needed. just kinda wondering if there is any room for play in that area and wondering if i already fucked shit up. thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefargone
my eyebrows grewback!!

Loc: over there
Re: vermiculite and BRF [Re: blazey]
    #6802531 - 04/18/07 12:30 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

There is a bit of room for play so to speak so long as your moisture content is ok.

i had mixed up a batch of brf pfcakes and they were a bit too wet so i added another 1/4 cup of brf to the mix, to soak up the moisture and those jars actually colonized faster than the ones i had noced 5 days before.

Just make sure that you dont have too dry or too wet of a mix and you should be ok, providing you followed the PF-tek properly that is 2:1:1 ratio etc.

InvisibleTheEnd
Strange Daze

Re: vermiculite and BRF [Re: fargone]
    #6802918 - 04/18/07 05:11 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Yup, you got a little bit of room. But its good to follow the recipe as accurately as possible if its your first time growing. That way if things go wrong later on, you have one less thing that it could be. Its basically for your benefit in the long run, but experimenting with your own recipes is also how we discover new and better methods:thumbup:.

--------------------

Offlinenewbie_shroomer
Stranger
Re: vermiculite and BRF [Re: TheEnd]
    #6803203 - 04/18/07 07:26 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

One thing i remember reading is that the BRF is the food and this food will also attract other contams, so be careful not 2 over do it. Also if you have to much BRF then there will not be enuff air / space for the spores grow.

OfflineVampireSlayer
killing ghosts,zombies andvampires forlife
Male User Gallery

Re: vermiculite and BRF [Re: newbie_shroomer]
    #6803618 - 04/18/07 09:33 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

2:1:1 = verm:BRF:water

thats my mix.

alot of times i think i'm way off on the mix but it always ends up colonzing. just try to get as close as possible.

--------------------
I Don't come to fight flesh and blood but spiritual wickedness in high and low places

Edited by Pikashroom (04/18/07 09:34 AM)

Offlineexagram
Phear the shroom
 User Gallery

Re: vermiculite and BRF [Re: VampireSlayer]
    #6803662 - 04/18/07 09:45 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I wouldn't keep to any set formula. In my experience, it varies based on how absorbent and well-ground your BRF is, the size and absorbency of your vermiculite grains, etc.. What I'd recommend is:

1. Put roughly 2/3 of the total volume of your jars in vermiculite in your mixing bowl (i.e., if you had 3 half pint jars, put in two half pints of vermiculite).
2. Put in as much water as the vermiculite will hold (stir the vermiculite well while you trickle in water, and every so often tip the bowl to see whether a very small pool of water forms. As soon as that happens, you have enough water).
3. Add BRF until it starts to build up on the sides of the bowl as you stir.

This process will both saturate the vermiculite with as much water as it can carry, and coat it with as much BRF as it can hold.

--------------------
Raoul Duke: What Leary took down with him was the central illusion of a whole lifestyle that he helped create - a generation of permanent cripples, failed seekers, who never understood the essential old-mystic fallacy of the acid culture: the desperate assumption that somebody, or at least some force, is tending the light at the end of the tunnel.

InvisibleTheEnd
Strange Daze

Re: vermiculite and BRF [Re: exagram]
    #6805065 - 04/18/07 03:55 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I always go with the 2-1-1 method. Hasn't failed me yet, never lost a single jar to any contams or anything, and colinization times were always pretty good. But of course it is going to vary from one person to the next, and the type of verm used makes a difference. The only kind I can get ahold of is the larger stuff, and it holds less water than the finer type. So 2-1-1 is perfect for me.

--------------------

OfflineJohn0809
Sporehut King
Male

Re: vermiculite and BRF [Re: TheEnd]
    #6805116 - 04/18/07 04:11 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

theres alot of elbow room and room for experimentation with this hobby..Just use common sense,,,,

J~!S

--------------------
Check out my Site!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds