Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineeltrkbrd
Stranger
Dehydrator + Pump N Seal + Damp Rid + Glass Jar + Freeze? Powdered vs. Whole?
    #6780827 - 04/12/07 09:26 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I know similar questions have been asked 100's of times but hours of searching doesn't yield simple and concise answers to the following questions:

How would I go about best preserving dried mushrooms and constructing the most efficient storage container based on the following supplies below? Are they better powdered or whole?

* Wide Mouth Quart Sized or Pint Sized Glass Mason Jar with Metal Lid

* L’Equip 528 Food Dehydrator (http://www.lequip.com/dehydrator/)

* Damp Rid (http://www.damprid.dsiwebbuilder.com/index.asp?cat=173070)

* Pump N Seal Vacuum Sealer (http://www.pump-n-seal.com/)

* Unbleached muslin

* Tyvek Envelope

* Stainless Steel Fine Wire Mesh Screen (for straining tea)

Details:

* Mushrooms have been Dehydrated at 95 Degrees Fahrenheit for 5 Days in a L’Equip 528 Food Dehydrator and are cracker dry (longer than needed but can't hurt, right?).

* Relative Humidity (RH) in room is 60-70%

* Room Temperature is between 70-80 Degrees Fahrenheit

-TIA

--------------------
My way of giving back- Thanks Shroomery...
A For Newbs by Newbs Cultivation Resource Journal: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6748262/an/0/page/0

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineeltrkbrd
Stranger
Vacuum Sealed Jar in Jar with desiccant for Powder Storage [Re: eltrkbrd]
    #6784089 - 04/13/07 05:33 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Anyone?

OK, well I came up with a simple idea that I think will work pretty good. It's basically a Jar in a Jar with Damp Rid Vacuum Sealed.

What do you think of the following?

1.) Place powdered mushrooms in a 1/2 Pint Regular Mouth Jar with the Metal Cap screwed down over tinfoil with small holes poked in it (ventilation screen).

2.) Then Place the 1/2 pint jar into a Wide Mouth Quart Sized Jar and fill this jar with Damp Rid.

3.) Lastly, Vacuum Seal Quart Sized Jar with Pump N Seal and Place in Freezer.

--------------------
A For Newbs by Newbs Cultivation Resource Journal: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6748262/an/0/page/0

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Dehydrator + Pump N Seal + Damp Rid + Glass Jar + Freeze? Powdered vs. Whole? [Re: eltrkbrd]
    #6784155 - 04/13/07 05:52 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

As SIMPLE as it gets.
Then use a food saver type vacuum sealer.
<- this to this -->

--------------------

Offlineeltrkbrd
Stranger
Re: Dehydrator + Pump N Seal + Damp Rid + Glass Jar + Freeze? Powdered vs. Whole? [Re: agar]
    #6784202 - 04/13/07 06:06 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Hi Agar!

Thanks for your response.

I think I'm going to give your method a try in a Quart Sized Mason Jar Vacuum Sealed with Whole Dehydrated Mushrooms.

Would this work as well for storing Reishi Mushrooms?

I read your posts on this topic beforehand and was debating powdered vs. whole and understand why you like them whole.

I have the Pump N Seal which is a hand pump; not the food saver or the food saver bags.

These shrooms appear to be bone dry after a week in the Dehydrator at 95 Degrees Fahrenheit. I snaped some stems and caps just now and they break like crackers.

The only thing is I am in a tropical climate and the RH in my residence is about 60-70% so I'm not sure exactly how dry I can get them without finishing the process off without desiccant.

Also, I don't know how well the vacuum sealer I have will work on sucking air out of the spaces if they are placed in the jars whole but it sure does sound a hell of a lot easier as far as storage goes.

Although I kind of liked the idea of powdering everything at once because it would be more discrete looking and because it seems like it would be easier to just take some powder out every now and then as needed without having to powder it up separately each time although I guess it would be simple to just throw a few dried shrooms in a mortar and pestle.

Do you think it will work just as well in a vacuum sealed glass jar with no desiccant?

-TIA

--------------------

Edited by eltrkbrd (04/13/07 06:17 PM)

Offlinej_db69
Forever learning shaman
 User Gallery

Re: Dehydrator + Pump N Seal + Damp Rid + Glass Jar + Freeze? Powdered vs. Whole? [Re: eltrkbrd]
    #6784603 - 04/13/07 08:01 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Ideally you would want all oxygen and moisture removed from the container (so a small jar FILLED with powdered shrooms seems like the best bet) but people have great results just keeping them whole in a mason jar kept in a cool place for at least a year with no potency loss. IMO when they are powdered your trip will be more intense (compared to eating them whole) and last half as long, maybe more positive in your situation or more negative.. How long are you wanting to store them?

--------------------
One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the dark conscious.
--Jung

InvisibleBUDDHA_702
Master Mycologist In Training
Male

Loc: Some Country
Re: Dehydrator + Pump N Seal + Damp Rid + Glass Jar + Freeze? Powdered vs. Whole? [Re: j_db69]
    #7792691 - 12/23/07 02:02 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Powder has to be dry in the first place.
Just make a simple drying chamber.

Edited by BUDDHA_702 (12/23/07 04:01 PM)

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #7792841 - 12/23/07 02:59 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

eltrkbrd said:
Hi Agar!

Thanks for your response.

I think I'm going to give your method a try in a Quart Sized Mason Jar Vacuum Sealed with Whole Dehydrated Mushrooms.

Would this work as well for storing Reishi Mushrooms?

I read your posts on this topic beforehand and was debating powdered vs. whole and understand why you like them whole.

I have the Pump N Seal which is a hand pump; not the food saver or the food saver bags.

These shrooms appear to be bone dry after a week in the Dehydrator at 95 Degrees Fahrenheit. I snaped some stems and caps just now and they break like crackers.

The only thing is I am in a tropical climate and the RH in my residence is about 60-70% so I'm not sure exactly how dry I can get them without finishing the process off without desiccant.

Also, I don't know how well the vacuum sealer I have will work on sucking air out of the spaces if they are placed in the jars whole but it sure does sound a hell of a lot easier as far as storage goes.

Although I kind of liked the idea of powdering everything at once because it would be more discrete looking and because it seems like it would be easier to just take some powder out every now and then as needed without having to powder it up separately each time although I guess it would be simple to just throw a few dried shrooms in a mortar and pestle.

Do you think it will work just as well in a vacuum sealed glass jar with no desiccant?

-TIA

Agar hasn't been around for some months now, so he won't be answering you...

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract