Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Just checking before I order online (gypsum)
    #6764779 - 04/09/07 11:03 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I can't find powdered gypsum anywhere. I've checked the farm supplys, garden centers, Lowe's, hardware stores, and even called the local high school, apparently they use limestone, though I would think that would kill the grass. The farm supply can order, but would have to order a pallet:(

I found a bag of drywall compound, ingredients listed are: Limestone, OR Dolomite, OR Gypsum, so there's no telling what it is.

I can get pelletized gypsum, but I'm wondering how much of a chore it would be to crush it all into a powder fine enough to use. I'll need at least 1/2 gallon at a time, I'm not keen on breaking up gypsum board either.

So I guess I'm going to order it online.

Any comments on how easy it might be to reduce the pellets to powder? Or what kind of place would sell powdered gypsum that I haven't checked? Dick's sporting goods doesn't sell it either.

I can buy marking chalk in 1/2 gallon containers, but ingredients aren't listed... what are the chances this is gypsum?

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." - Gilbert Keith Chesterton

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: Just checking before I order online (gypsum) [Re: Rahz]
    #6764834 - 04/09/07 11:22 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Keyword is Plaster of Paris. I can get it at the crafts store, 8 lbs. for 5 dollars.

I'm going to buy it as I need it right away, but would still like to find a cheaper source. Thing is, shipping on a larger bag will put the price about equal to buying it locally.

I guess 5 dollars ain't that bad. Off to the craft store I go.

--------------------
rahz

"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." - Gilbert Keith Chesterton

OfflineWronguy

Trusted Cultivator
    #6764836 - 04/09/07 11:22 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Pelletized gypsum will work fine as long as it is water soluble. I use a gypsum that is pelletized and the gypsum instantly dissolves when water is introduced.

The gypsum I use is comprised of the following ingredients:

Calcium Sulfate Dihydrate 95%
Calcium 22%
Sulfur 17%
Moisture less than 1%

OfflineWronguy

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Just checking before I order online (gypsum) [Re: Wronguy]
    #6764842 - 04/09/07 11:25 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Check out this link:

http://www.groworganic.com/item_F1152_CalCMPlusDualPurposeGypsum50Lb.html

You'll pay $20-$30 to ship it, but the bag is only $5.99 for 50 Lbs. If you live closer to the west coast you'll pay even less.

Invisiblegeko
Human
Male

#6764848 - 04/09/07 11:28 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

One thing is not clear to me. Is the regular Plaster of Paris the same as the gypsum that is used in cultivation?

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: Just checking before I order online (gypsum) [Re: geko]
    #6765057 - 04/09/07 12:26 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

As far as I can tell, Plaster of Paris is gypsum that has been heat treated, which makes it re-crystalize while drying. I don't think there is a chemical change, but...

I'm going to wait until I learn more, or conduct a small test. I just got back from the craft store -w- the PoP, but I think I'm going to make a run for the pelletized gypsum.

Thanks for the info Wronguy.

--------------------
rahz

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

#6765221 - 04/09/07 01:00 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I just bought a 40lb. bag of pelletized gypsum.

Calcium Sulfate (CaSO4) 70%
Calcium Equivalent 20%
Combined Sulfur 16%
Moisture 1%

Will this work?

I'm going to go ahead and pasteurize the straw/manure and will add the gypsum after, so I've got until later tonight before I commit to anything.

--------------------
rahz

OfflineWronguy

Trusted Cultivator
    #6765481 - 04/09/07 01:41 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Looks good Rahz. :thumbup:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #6765533 - 04/09/07 01:50 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

My bag says 'granulated' gypsum, but it's actually just ground up scraps from a drywall plant. It even has brown, white, and green pieces of paper in it, and is mostly powder. Just make sure to mix the dry gypsum in with your dry manure or casing mix, then add water. If you add water first, it sticks to itself, and is hard to mix in. As wronguy said, it disolves right away. It's not like pelletized lime.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: Just checking before I order online (gypsum) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6765975 - 04/09/07 03:03 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

>>>>If you add water first, it sticks to itself, and is hard to mix in.

:crazy: OK, found that out the hard way. I mixed it in with my vermiculite and worm castings, and am giving it some low temp oven time. This will be added to the pasturized sub.

My gypsum is brown, I don't think that's anything abnormal for garden quality gupsum... just thought I would mention it.

--------------------
rahz

OfflineWronguy

Trusted Cultivator
    #6766227 - 04/09/07 03:52 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I guess I could have clarified myself, assuming I gave you some false impression. I always mix in gypsum dry. Water is the last ingredient.

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

#6766443 - 04/09/07 04:40 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

It's cool, what I did actually worked out pretty good.

After deciding to work it into the vermiculite, I added extra water and got it to a milkshake consistancy.

Mixed that into the verm and added some worm castings. That went into the oven on low. Very little trouble and should mix easily with the bulk.

Final bulk formula:

12 gallons (lightly compressed) hpoo/straw (50/50)
1.2 gallons vermiculite
.6 gallons gypsum
.6 gallons worm castings

*rubs hands* this will be the most potent substrate I've made yet *mad scientist laugh*:crazy2:

--------------------
rahz

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

#6766456 - 04/09/07 04:42 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Oh, and thanks again for the help guys. Without you, the gypsum wouldn't have made it into the sub.

And the weed eater trick turned my straw into some fine fluffy stuff. No more pulling out the long pieces that stick up:)

--------------------
rahz

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #6766491 - 04/09/07 04:51 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Just be careful not to overdo the weedeater. You don't want to turn it to dust or it won't colonize. A few long straws don't hurt, you just want the majority of them 1" to 3" long.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: Just checking before I order online (gypsum) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6766561 - 04/09/07 05:05 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Hmm, would you say this is overdone? It's mixed with dry manure, but would look about the same either way.

Might this cause problems?

--------------------
rahz

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #6766565 - 04/09/07 05:07 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

It could. That looks awfully tight. Try it and see. A tad looser would be better though.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck