Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCannabischarlie
Resident badass
 User Gallery

reptile humidifier.. great idea, but do i need it for casing?
    #6761125 - 04/08/07 12:40 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Im thinking of using one of those reptile humidifiers for humidity. they are fairly cheap, easy to obtain and serve the humidity need in the manner that i need. I want to upgrade from cakes to at least mostly casings. ive done some casings with good success by splitting my cakes in half and casing in real small loaf pans which when worked well resulted in more (and bigger) fruit for less spawn material. I might use more spawn material per casing and see which works better, however i could never get humidity and fresh air exchange right except for a while in some paper boxes taken out of the trash from work and lined with plastic bags that i used to fan with. i set these next to my light and cake terrarium and they upped my harvest significantly. other attemps didnt work as well as my first. i also never did get them to last long enough because the humidity would eventually drop. when i get a bit of cash i want to make a fish tank heater-heated tub with the hygrometer-temp combo. what is needed to keep my hygrometer at 80% for casings? a 4 stage timer and some tinkering? has anyone had success with any kind of humidifer with casings, are they really needed at all? i live in a rather dry state after all...

--------------------
This section of the signature line has been intentionally left blank.

we could all use a little more sunshine.

:shrug: yeah, she's funny and somewhat interesting.  not a beauty queen, but not bad lookin.  i'd feel quite honored to fuck janine garofalo.
-tiny_rabid_birds

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: reptile humidifier.. great idea, but do i need it for casing? [Re: Cannabischarlie]
    #6761229 - 04/08/07 01:15 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

what is needed to keep my hygrometer at 80% for casings?

You want high humidity, not 80%. For small projects, just use a terrarium with perlite. It doesn't matter if your substrate is cased or not, mycelium pins and mushrooms grow best at 99% humidity.

Never heat a growing chamber. If you use a mini greenhouse, there is hundreds of posts you can search to find a suitable method of humidification, so I'm not going to type it all over again here. I just wanted to correct the misinformation you must have heard or read that cased substrates want 80% humidity. That is incorrect.

In addition, if you live in a dry climate, it will help to get a cool mist humidifier and run it in the room your grow is located in. That should raise ambient humidity enough to make it easier to maintain the high 90's percent you want in your grow area.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineCannabischarlie
Resident badass
 User Gallery

Re: reptile humidifier.. great idea, but do i need it for casing? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6761519 - 04/08/07 02:50 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

anyone else? i have heard from a lot of places including i think the teks on this site that you need less humidity but that would be great as i would not need to buy a hygrometer or anything. i hate using perlite. i have no idea if it even ever puts out enough humidity and it makes a mess as far as what i have used it for. its a small close closet by the way and i dont think an ultrasonic humidifier is what i need, why not jack a reptile humidifier in? i think ive even heard it done before...

--------------------

:shrug: yeah, she's funny and somewhat interesting.  not a beauty queen, but not bad lookin.  i'd feel quite honored to fuck janine garofalo.
-tiny_rabid_birds

OfflineCannabischarlie
Resident badass
 User Gallery

Re: reptile humidifier.. great idea, but do i need it for casing? [Re: Cannabischarlie]
    #6761527 - 04/08/07 02:52 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

and why would i not want to heat my growing chamber to the proper fruiting temp? everything you have said is like the opposite of everything i have ever heard on this subject...

--------------------

-tiny_rabid_birds

InvisibleOptx
PronouncedAwp-Tiks
 User Gallery

#6762151 - 04/08/07 05:32 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

and i dont think an ultrasonic humidifier is what i need, why not jack a reptile humidifier in?

they're the same thing buddy...

Quote:

and why would i not want to heat my growing chamber to the proper fruiting temp?

because you'll dry out your casings/cakes. heat the room, not the fruiting chamber.

RR knows what he's talking about

--------------------
please do not take everything i say here so personally. welcome to teh internets!

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #6762188 - 04/08/07 05:48 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

anyone else?

LISTEN TO RR.
Otherwise, aborts will happen, :eek:

--------------------

OfflineCannabischarlie
Resident badass
 User Gallery

Re: reptile humidifier.. great idea, but do i need it for casing? [Re: agar]
    #6764464 - 04/09/07 09:19 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

heat is heat. if the room around a growing chamber is the temperature for pinning and you heat the entire area, eventually causing the area inside to be that temperature, it will be the same as if only the fruiting area is that temperature. its the same level of heat. and no, a reptile humidifier is a lot differant than jerry rigging an expensive ultrasonic humidifier, first of all, it doesnt need to be modded, and second, it is used for exactly the same purpose (with something else in mind to humidify).

--------------------

-tiny_rabid_birds

Offlineexagram
Phear the shroom
 User Gallery

Re: reptile humidifier.. great idea, but do i need it for casing? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6764477 - 04/09/07 09:27 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I've also heard that overly high humidity increases the chance of overlay with a casing, though this may just be because the person who was talking was using coir.

--------------------
Raoul Duke: What Leary took down with him was the central illusion of a whole lifestyle that he helped create - a generation of permanent cripples, failed seekers, who never understood the essential old-mystic fallacy of the acid culture: the desperate assumption that somebody, or at least some force, is tending the light at the end of the tunnel.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: reptile humidifier.. great idea, but do i need it for casing? [Re: exagram]
    #6764625 - 04/09/07 10:25 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

heat is heat. if the room around a growing chamber is the temperature for pinning and you heat the entire area, eventually causing the area inside to be that temperature, it will be the same as if only the fruiting area is that temperature. its the same level of heat.

Then, I suggest you do exactly that since you obviously don't understand how condensation forms on walls when there is a temperature differential. Then, when your project molds and all you get are aborts, come back and listen to those who have done this thousands of times before you.

All of this has been covered many times before in this forum and the information is there if you'll only do a few searches, or an hour or two of reading. People are tired of typing the same thing over and over and over again in detail for those who don't want to use the search function, or look for the answers on their own a little. I have explained this exact question you're asking dozens of times in the last year. You've been pointed in the right direction. Either go with that or ignore the advice. It's your choice.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#6766624 - 04/09/07 05:25 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

heat is heat. if the room around a growing chamber is the temperature for pinning and you heat the entire area, eventually causing the area inside to be that temperature, it will be the same as if only the fruiting area is that temperature. its the same level of heat.

Then, I suggest you do exactly that since you obviously don't understand how condensation forms on walls when there is a temperature differential.  Then, when your project molds and all you get are aborts, come back and listen to those who have done this thousands of times before you.

All of this has been covered many times before in this forum and the information is there if you'll only do a few searches, or an hour or two of reading.  People are tired of typing the same thing over and over and over again in detail for those who don't want to use the search function, or look for the answers on their own a little. I have explained this exact question you're asking dozens of times in the last year.  You've been pointed in the right direction.  Either go with that or ignore the advice.  It's your choice.
RR

:yesnod:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract