Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetheindysleepers
Deviant
Low Humidity Problems + Drip Shield Questions
    #6758405 - 04/07/07 04:10 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

My terrarium has a wet layer of vermiculite on the bottom and numerous holes in the sides. About 3 rows of 4 on each side. However my humidity is at a steady 25%. Is this because there are too many holes? I have seen pics of terrariums with polyfill balls covering the holes- does this hold in humidity? Also, are drip shields neccessary?

--------------------
"Under a government which imprisons any unjustly, the true place for a just man is in prison"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Low Humidity Problems + Drip Shield Questions [Re: theindysleepers]
    #6758546 - 04/07/07 04:45 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Drip shields are not necessary. If you've read you DO NOT want verm in the bottom you WANT perlite there is a reason for this! Verm absorbs water and transpires little perlite on the other hand does not absorb water at all it wicks water perfectly and transpires about the best of anything. you can easily overdo holes plug them with polyfil and leave the lid slightly ajar. Remember the perlite can trap an awful lot of water so let it soak overnight if possible then drain it and dump it in and watch that RH climb! GL bro

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Invisiblemushbaby
woodswalker
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in my own lil world
Re: Low Humidity Problems + Drip Shield Questions [Re: hyphae]
    #6758631 - 04/07/07 05:34 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I swear, I learn something new everyday here. That's the first I heard about soaking the perlite overnight. I knew to soak but didn't realize it was for that long. No wonder I am still having to mist. Just one more thing to do differently next time.

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Low Humidity Problems + Drip Shield Questions [Re: mushbaby]
    #6759688 - 04/07/07 11:51 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

mushbaby said:
I swear, I learn something new everyday here. That's the first I heard about soaking the perlite overnight. I knew to soak but didn't realize it was for that long. No wonder I am still having to mist. Just one more thing to do differently next time.

Overnight is just convenient sometimes you can certainly get by with a couple hour soak also but understand the waters penetration does take time (fact!)

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Jump to top Pages: 1