Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineEl Cubano Poco
Stranger
Best method for an eager noob>?
    #6757338 - 04/07/07 10:28 AM (17 years, 13 days ago)

I've been reading heavily about mushroom growing for the last few days, and I've come across many conflicting teks. I want to get good yields with a simple technique, and I'm wondering which tek would be best for me. i'm thinking of doing cakes and casing, and seeing which one works better. I have 4 syringes, a humidifier/air pump with one airstone, a pressure cooker, and a big plastic rubbermaid tub. I'm going to build a sterile inoculation chamber today, and also a HEPA filter box for the air pump.
Questions...

Do I need 2 airstones to make this a success?
Casing seems easy enough, should I try both ways or just go all on casing?
Questions/Comments?
Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinethe_owl
in the sky
Male

Re: Best method for an eager noob>? [Re: El Cubano Poco]
    #6757370 - 04/07/07 10:40 AM (17 years, 13 days ago)

What would you use the rubbermaid tub for? Perhaps you can try out the tub method - I have been itchin' to do so.

There really is not a best, but a better. For you, it will take experimentation to figure out which is better; experimentation will thus take time.

If you fight the eagerness, your journey will be an interesting one.

--------------------
I am, but an owl, in the sky.

Edited by the_owl (04/07/07 10:40 AM)

Offlineatomic1
enthusiast
Male

Loc: Appalachia
    #6757381 - 04/07/07 10:44 AM (17 years, 13 days ago)

Do what you wish. Cakes seem to be more popular for new guys but casing and bulk isn't that tough. I'd say go for choice B since you have a PC.
You actually don't even need the airstones just use some soaked perlite or a coolmist/ultrasonic. When working with cakes you gotta keep that humidity up there at all times since they're a little naked cake with no casing layer to retain moisture. Even when rolled in verm. you still gotta keep it maintained.
With casings, they're a little more forgiving since they have the casing layer. I'm for casings and bulk.

Offlinejenerikcairet
cognitivelibertist
 User Gallery

Re: Best method for an eager noob>? [Re: atomic1]
    #6757408 - 04/07/07 11:01 AM (17 years, 13 days ago)

it sounds like you have a certain amount of funds at your disposal. thats a good thing.for that reason i would suggest you use quart jars of WBS or RYE and spawn to a bulk substate such as poo or something like that....great yields, potent fruits.

--------------------
Yes, ordinary water. Laced with nothing more than a few spoons full of LSD- professor farsnworth

OfflineEl Cubano Poco
Stranger
Re: Best method for an eager noob>? [Re: jenerikcairet]
    #6757602 - 04/07/07 12:07 PM (17 years, 13 days ago)

Ya, funds be not an issue. I think I do want to do the bulk method, is garden center manure suitable for this? If I use the bulk method, will I still need the air pump/humidifier? I want to make this op. as automatic as possible...

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #6757628 - 04/07/07 12:16 PM (17 years, 13 days ago)

do you have a pressure cooker?

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

InvisibleIDontGrow
insomniac

Re: Best method for an eager noob>? [Re: Roadkill]
    #6757666 - 04/07/07 12:25 PM (17 years, 13 days ago)

your trying to hard for a newb...try the hippie tek.... read that 6t is the man

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1539182&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1&PHPSESSID=

--------------------
work of fiction

http://www.thenook.org/

Edited by IDontGrow (04/07/07 01:11 PM)

OfflineEl Cubano Poco
Stranger
Re: Best method for an eager noob>? [Re: IDontGrow]
    #6757942 - 04/07/07 01:56 PM (17 years, 13 days ago)

Trying too hard for a newb ehh? I'm a science kind of guy, and this sort of stuff is right up my alley. I don't think I'm jumping too far here.Incase I'm misjudging the distance of the jump, I'm going to start with cakes and work up from there.

P.S. I have 4 different strains, can I fruit 2 of them together in one aquarium with cakes?

BTW Good link "IDontGrow" (Thumbs up)

Edited by El Cubano Poco (04/07/07 01:57 PM)

Invisibledeucedbi9
Stranger

Loc: UK
    #6758078 - 04/07/07 02:33 PM (17 years, 13 days ago)

seeing as you have a pc i wonder why you haven't considered grain.
i know i got "stuck" reading up on pf cakes for a couple of weeks because everyone seemed to think they were ideal for "newbs".
plus, i didn't have a pc until a friend came to the rescue.

just suggestion. as you have four syringes it may be worth your while trying grain.
i wonder if "6t", agar by another name i believe, still holds the view of "cakes for newbs" being best.

tek i followed for grain the first time.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5265629/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1
Foo Man's WBS Method - Mushroom Cultivation - Shroomery Message Board

good luck with whatever you go with.

--------------------
whether low pressure sucks or high pressure blows...
it's a bugger to cycle in.

even though I'm feeling good
Something tells me I'd better activate my prayer capsule

Offlinekong
Stranger
Re: Best method for an eager noob>? [Re: deucedbi9]
    #6758230 - 04/07/07 03:17 PM (17 years, 13 days ago)

ShroomGods Straw tek works very well and is easy. WBS in quart jars is also a very good way to make spawn. Use tyvek for your lids.

All you need to prepare are 5-10 quart jars of WBS, and two pasteurized mini-bales of straw from Michaels craft shop. Just unpack the straw in a laundry bag inside a large cooler and add water at 170F. Wait 1,1/2 hr, drain, mix with wbs, case and your set.

I'd encourage you to jump right in to bulk, its easy, and if you follow directions, I believe there is a much greater chance of success than some of the "easy" ways. I think maintaining a terrarium for cakes is more advanced than simply casing a block of straw and then fanning a couple times a day.

Some people say that straw contaminates easily, but I have never seen it happen. Horse poo is definitely a step up from straw though.

Check out threads by crazychemist and bobstoner in the grow log section.

Best of luck to you.

OfflineTerillius
Renaissance Man
Male User Gallery

#6758831 - 04/07/07 06:50 PM (17 years, 13 days ago)

I vote for spores->WBS->coir. Make one or more pans of spawned coir that will fit in your tub and turn it into a monotub. Cover the bottom with perlite, set the trays inside and fruit UNCASED. Simple and effective. You don't have to pasturize or use lime or gypsum or coffee or anything.

InvisibleIDontGrow
insomniac

Re: Best method for an eager noob>? [Re: Terillius]
    #6759545 - 04/07/07 10:48 PM (17 years, 13 days ago)

look the hippie tek is the best out their...each jar is it own casting (if you do the dbl ended casting pf cake) just incubate after they are done colonizing scrape just the sides of the cake with a new razor. the scratching of the cake will stimulate it to pin. after you scrape it dunk it for 4 or 5 hrs in a zip top bag or something else sterile put the cake back in the jar flip the jar upside down and wham you have a very easy way to grow them. a buddy of mine averages 6g dry per cake that way and if one jar gets contamination so what you have others if you do bulk...one mistake and its game over.
my signature pic is the super hippie tek...thats how you do if you need prints.

Edited by IDontGrow (04/07/07 10:49 PM)

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Best method for an eager noob>? [Re: IDontGrow]
    #6760380 - 04/08/07 07:44 AM (17 years, 12 days ago)

IDontGrow,

your link to the nook is wrong...

http://www.thenook.org/

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag