Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineminesstudent
Who knows?
Male

Iran is going to release the British prisoners
    #6745760 - 04/04/07 10:33 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I guess we don't have to go to war anyway.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17944210/

TEHRAN, Iran - Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad announced that his government would release the detained 15 British sailors and marines Wednesday as an Easter gift to the British people.

Iranian state television later showed the British sailors talking to Ahmadinejad at the country's presidential palace apparently minutes before they were to be freed.

The footage showed Ahmadinejad shaking hands with the sailors and smiling and chatting.
Story continues below

The Iranian president had said the Britons would be taken to Tehran aiport at the end of the press conference that he was addressing, but The Associated Press and Reuters news agency later reported that they would be flying out on Thursday.

Meantime in London, British Prime Minister Tony Blair's office said it welcomed the news.

"We welcome what the president has said about the release of our 15 personnel. We are now establishing exactly what this means in terms of the method and timing of their release," said a spokeswoman.

The White House also hailed the release. "As Prime Minister Blair just said, President Bush also welcomes the news," Gordon Johndroe, spokesman for the White House National Security Council, said.

Gift to Britain
Ahmadinejad said he had pardoned the sailors as a gift to the British people and to mark the birthday of Islam's Prophet Muhammed and Easter.

"On the occasion of the birthday of the great prophet (Muhammad) ... and for the occasion of the passing of Christ, I say the Islamic Republic government and the Iranian people -- with all powers and legal right to put the soldiers on trial -- forgave those 15," he said, referring to the Muslim prophet's birthday last Saturday and Easter, next Sunday.

"This pardon is a gift to the British people," he said.

Ahmadinejad pardoned the sailors and announced their release minutes after he gave medals of honor to the Iranian coast guards who intercepted the sailors and marines, saying Iran will never accept trespassing of its territorial waters.

"On behalf of the great Iranian people, I want to thank the Iranian Coast Guard who courageously defended and captured those who violated their territorial waters, the president told a press conference.

He then interrupted his speech and pinned a medal on the commander of the Coast Guards involved in capturing the British sailors and marines in the northern Gulf on March 23. Two other Coast Guards came on to the podium and saluted during the ceremony.

"We are sorry that British troops remain in Iraq and their sailors are being arrested in Iran," Ahmadinejad said.

Concern for female sailor?
He criticized Britain for deploying Leading Seaman Faye Turney, one of the 15 detainees, in the Gulf, pointing out that she is a woman with a child.

"How can you justify seeing a mother away from her home, her children? Why don't they respect family values in the West?" he asked of the British government.

Answering questions, Ahmadinejad said there was no link between the sailors' release and the release in Baghdad on Monday of an Iranian diplomat who was seized by gunmen wearing Iraqi military uniforms in January.

"If we had wanted to exchange Jalal Sharafi with the rest (of the Britons) we would have exchanged him for 100,000. But we pardoned them," he said, adding the decision was "based on humanitarian considerations."

The president also weighed in on his country's diplomatic standoff with the United States.

"If Mr. Bush and his government change their behavior ... this side (Iran) has the ability to reconsider" its ties with Washington, he said, without specifying what change he wanted to see.

The White House responded that it was Tehran that needed to change its behavior and again urged the Iranian government to abandon its efforts nuclear program if it wants to improve relations with the United States.
The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.

--------------------
"The universe is the way it is because if it wasn't we wouldn't be here to talk about it"

Edited by minesstudent (04/04/07 10:34 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Iran is releasing the British prisoners [Re: minesstudent]
    #6745764 - 04/04/07 10:34 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Heh.

Can we remember this next time the President or some other conservative fuck-wad tells us that diplomacy is worthless and that we'll never be able to reason with a muslim government?

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Iran is releasing the British prisoners [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #6745942 - 04/04/07 11:21 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I think that this was a really carefully considered, smart decision by the Iranian government. The location of the British soldiers is still disputed, but they basically demonstrated that they have rights as a soverigen nation, but that they aren't interested in being involved in stand-offs, like what could have occured if they decided to take the soldiers to their court system.

Also, Britian's reaction was a smart one as well. "No ill will". Its interesting that Iran announced it as a gift for Easter, allegedly the birthday of their prophet and the passing of prophet of the Christians. Sort of like, "look, common ground".

The United States is going to need to take the pressure off Iran considerably now.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Re: Iran is releasing the British prisoners [Re: fireworks_god]
    #6749117 - 04/05/07 01:00 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

It's unfortunate for the Bush Administration that Ahmadinejad is so much better at Public Relations... I mean look, he even put them in his patented suits to look comfortable in sunny Tehran. He's a loon, but look at that smile. :wink:

Fortunately for those who favor Middle Eastern diplomacy, this is an apparent example of successful relations and definitely not the gold star the Bush Admin wants on Iran's report card.

Funny, the White House's response:
IRAN: WH, you should change your behavior.
WH: No, you.

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
Re: Iran is releasing the British prisoners [Re: Blastrid]
    #6749267 - 04/05/07 02:09 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Ill bet anything that Bush believes that his threats are the reason they were released.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Re: Iran is going to release the British prisoners [Re: minesstudent]
    #6749754 - 04/05/07 08:29 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Iran got their IRGC men released in Iraq exactly how i predicted, haha what a PR coup for Iran.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Iran is going to release the British prisoners [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #6749872 - 04/05/07 09:13 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

> Iran got their IRGC men released in Iraq exactly how i predicted

They did? I haven't heard anything about this... any references?

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleHank, FTW
Looking for the Answer

Re: Iran is going to release the British prisoners [Re: Seuss]
    #6750618 - 04/05/07 01:04 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

" "How can you justify seeing a mother away from her home, her children? Why don't they respect family values in the West?" he asked of the British government. "

I like this guy a little more each time he says something like this. A mother's place is at home. Single women, go nuts, but mothers should not be fighting wars.

--------------------
Capliberty:

"I'll blow the hinges off your freakin doors with my trips, level 5 been there, I personally like x, bud, acid and shroom oj, altogether, do that combination, and you'll meet some morbid figures, lol
Hell yeah I push the limits and hell yeah thats fucking cool, dope, bad ass and all that, I'm not changing shit, I'm cutting to to the chase and giving u shroom experience report. Real trippers aren't afraid to go beyond there comfort zone "

:rofl:

InvisibleMastamike1118
Male

Re: Iran is going to release the British prisoners [Re: Hank, FTW]
    #6751029 - 04/05/07 03:07 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I also agree with fireworks god...:peace:

Now think about this without any bias or prejudices... Some country attacks a neighboring country for no real reason other then they dislike dictator (Iraq) and then troops are discovered in their own boundary waters...:peace:

Aright course there gonna do sumthing we would do the exact same shit they did!!! Except i seriously doubt wed release the soldiers... :peace:

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #6751144 - 04/05/07 03:38 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:

Crickets........chirping.

--------------------

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
    #6751378 - 04/05/07 04:31 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:

heres a little something on it, ill see if i can dig more links.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/04/03/iraq.iranians.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) -- A senior Iraqi Foreign Ministry official said on Tuesday that the government was "intensively" seeking release of five Iranians detained by the U.S. military more than two months ago in northern Iraq.

"We are intensively seeking the release of the five Iranians," the senior official said.

"This will be a factor that will help in the release of the British sailors and marines" held by Iran since March 25. (Watch signs Iran may be looking for way out of standoff )

The official also said that the Iraqi government had exerted pressure on those holding an Iranian diplomat, who was released Monday and returned to Tehran on Tuesday. The official would not say who had held the diplomat.

The U.S. military has said the five Iranians, who were arrested January 11 in the northern city of Irbil, were part of an Iranian Revolutionary Guard force that provides funds, weapons and training to Shiite militias in Iraq.

Two days after the raid, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said President Bush approved the strategy of raiding Iranian targets in Iraq as part of efforts to confront Tehran.

Iran had insisted that the five detained Iranians were engaged exclusively in consular work.

The Iranian diplomat who was released on Monday was kidnapped in mysterious circumstances two months ago. (Full story)

Iranian authorities reported the release of Jalal Sharafi, the second secretary at the Iranian Embassy in Baghdad, and said he would return to Tehran later Tuesday.

An official at the Iranian embassy confirmed Sharafi's release, but said he did not know who was responsible for freeing him.

"He was kidnapped and I don't have further details," said the official, who added Sharafi had already left the country.

"He was released yesterday [Monday]," the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity for not being authorized to speak to the media.

Sharafi was seized on February 4 when his car was intercepted by vehicles carrying armed men in the Karradah district of Baghdad. The gunmen, who wore Iraqi uniforms, forced him into one of their vehicles and sped away.

Iran said he had been taken by an Iraqi military unit commanded by the U.S. forces, and said it was holding the Americans responsible for his safety.

The U.S. authorities denied any role in his disappearance.

OfflineBasilides
Servent ofWisdom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Crown and Heart
    #6751810 - 04/05/07 06:50 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Hank, FTW said:
" "How can you justify seeing a mother away from her home, her children? Why don't they respect family values in the West?" he asked of the British government. "

I like this guy a little more each time he says something like this. A mother's place is at home. Single women, go nuts, but mothers should not be fighting wars.

It's mostly image making and propaganda... I mean come on, a hand shaking ceremony with Adhmadinejad, complete with lavish gifts "from the Iranian people"? At least the world got to see that Mahmoud is only 5 feet tall.

--------------------

"Have you found the beginning, then, that you are looking for the end? You see, the end will be where the beginning is. Congratulations to the one who stands at the beginning: that one will know the end and will not taste death."

InvisiblePenguarky Tunguin
f n o r d
Male User Gallery

Re: Iran is releasing the British prisoners [Re: GabbaDj]
    #6752520 - 04/05/07 10:06 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

GabbaDj said:
Ill bet anything that Bush believes that his threats are the reason they were released.

:yesnod:

I was gonna say the same thing.

--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: Iran is releasing the British prisoners [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #6752762 - 04/05/07 11:16 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Maybe he just picked up the hot line to Jesus given to him by Rev. Jerry Falwell and had it arranged supernaturally. He has special favor with heaven according to some folks.

Maybe they need to double-check exactly who or what is on the other end of that line hmmm?........  :devil:

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

InvisibleHank, FTW
Looking for the Answer

Re: Iran is going to release the British prisoners [Re: Basilides]
    #6753615 - 04/06/07 09:43 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I agree, still, it appears he looks out solely for the best interest of his people, which is more than I can say for many western governments.

--------------------
Capliberty:

"I'll blow the hinges off your freakin doors with my trips, level 5 been there, I personally like x, bud, acid and shroom oj, altogether, do that combination, and you'll meet some morbid figures, lol
Hell yeah I push the limits and hell yeah thats fucking cool, dope, bad ass and all that, I'm not changing shit, I'm cutting to to the chase and giving u shroom experience report. Real trippers aren't afraid to go beyond there comfort zone "

:rofl:

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #6753801 - 04/06/07 11:06 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

His people? They aint doing so well.
http://www.nysun.com/article/47772
http://www.arabnews.com/?page=7&section=0&article=91155&d=20&m=1&y=2007
http://www.cfr.org/publication/12625/
http://www.guardian.co.uk/iran/story/0,,1991316,00.html

From the Guardian link:

Quote:

In an unprecedented rebuke, 150 parliamentarians signed a letter blaming Mr Ahmadinejad for raging inflation and high unemployment and criticising his government's failure to deliver the budget on time. They also condemned him for embarking on a tour of Latin America - from which he returns tomorrow - at a time of mounting crisis.

Can you say "Wag the Dog?"
It was a stunt to distract from the very real problems he has helped to foist upon his people. He doesn't give a flying fuck about them.

Quote:

it appears he looks out solely for the best interest of his people

How flagrantly obtuse can you be?

--------------------

InvisiblePenguarky Tunguin
f n o r d
Male User Gallery

Re: Iran is going to release the British prisoners [Re: zappaisgod]
    #6755112 - 04/06/07 05:25 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Isn't the Ayatollah the highest power in Iran? Doesn't Khamenei handle all the decisions? Or is he just the boss on religious issues?

--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: Iran is going to release the British prisoners [Re: minesstudent]
    #6755147 - 04/06/07 05:43 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Funny how if we abuse prisoners, we're called Satan. When they abuse prisoners, well, it's different if they do it.

--

Someone said, 'Lads, I think we're going to be executed'

· Sailors tell of 'psychological torture'
· US offered military action to free 15

The British hostages held captive in Iran for a fortnight yesterday told of the moments they thought they were about to be executed by their captors as the first full account of their ordeal was made public.

The most frightening time was when the 14 men and one woman, Faye Turney, were lined up against a wall, handcuffed and blindfolded. They heard weapons being cocked and some of them thought they were about to be shot.

Royal Marine Joe Tindall said: "They [the Iranians] changed from the military dress to all black, their faces covered. There were weapons cocking. Someone, I'm not sure who, someone said: 'Lads, lads, I think we're going to get executed'. After that comment someone was sick and as far as I was concerned he had just had his throat cut." Lieutenant Felix Carman added: "Some of us feared the worst."

As the sailors and marines told their stories, the Guardian learned that the US had offered to buzz Iran with fighter jets during the impasse. Diplomatic sources said that at the height of the stand-off, Pentagon officials offered a series of military options, including for US combat aircraft to mount aggressive patrols over Iranian Revolutionary Guard bases. The British declined and told the Pentagon to calm the situation by staying out of it and tone down military exercises in the Gulf .

The scale of the international anxiety became clear as the group revealed how they were held in solitary confinement and subjected to psychological torment.

Speaking in detail for the first time, six of the 15 sailors and marines - who returned to the UK on Thursday after being freed by Iran's president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad - defended themselves against accusations that they had been captured too easily. They were paraded on television apparently admitting they had trespassed into Iranian waters. It emerged that Acting Leading Seaman Turney, a mother from Plymouth, had been separated from the men soon after capture and was under the impression for days that they had been sent back and she was the only one remaining in Iran.

The crew insisted they had been in Iraqi waters when they were seized. They said they were surrounded by eight Iranian boats and, although they had made their weapons ready, they had no chance of overpowering the Iranians.

Captain Chris Air of the Royal Marines said: "The Iranians are not our enemies. We are not at war with them. By the time the true intent of the Iranians had become apparent and we could legitimately have fought back it was too late for action."

"We were completely surrounded and, in addition to any loss of life, any attempted fightback would have caused a major international incident and an escalation of tension within the region. Our team had seconds to make a decision and we believe we made the right decision."

In captivity, they were kept in isolation and deprived of sleep. They were told they had been abandoned by their government and could admit they had trespassed and go home, or stay in prison for seven years. At least one of the servicemen was hit.

The group denied cooperating with the Iranians, but said they had made a "conscious decision" to "make a controlled release of non-operational information". They have been given two weeks' compassionate leave.

Downing Street and the Ministry of Defence chose not to comment after the press conference at RMB Chivenor in north Devon.

Nick Harvey, the Liberal Democrats' defence spokesman, said: "The MoD must now take a cold hard look at how this patrol work is organised, and review if the level of back up and support is appropriate."

guardian.co.uk

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Iran is going to release the British prisoners [Re: Diploid]
    #6755422 - 04/06/07 07:25 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

As the sailors and marines told their stories, the Guardian learned that the US had offered to buzz Iran with fighter jets during the impasse. Diplomatic sources said that at the height of the stand-off, Pentagon officials offered a series of military options, including for US combat aircraft to mount aggressive patrols over Iranian Revolutionary Guard bases. The British declined and told the Pentagon to calm the situation by staying out of it and tone down military exercises in the Gulf .

I couldn't imagine the Pentagon offering military options. Its like a fisherman offering fishing options. :lol: :rolleyes:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale