Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineWalkaway
TardNarc
Loc: CA, USA
The Golden Age of Psychedelia
    #672412 - 06/10/02 09:33 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Due to my recent bad cough I have had three days for the contemplation of our current social situation, my life, the universe in general, the role of Jesus as model of the revolutionary magician, and a number of other weighty topics. If I sometimes act too "serious" it is because I am attempting to get you to rethink your habitual assumptions. You've had a lot of nonsense about the world drilled into your head since your were born, and that nonsense forms a filter that distorts everything you perceive. The Matrix is a very accurate depiction of the fate of anyone who uses psychedelics on a serious basis. (though I haven't yet perfected my cool ninja powers) Using these substances for purely "recreational" reasons is inviting psychological harm, if not outright physical damage. I'm not saying that having fun isn't a welcome thing, but you can't take substances which powerfully affect memory, cognition, perception, etc., and expect that they're going to be "fun" in any conventional sense on a regular basis. Always perversely interesting, but not always "fun" unless you subscribe to very tortured and idiosyncratic definitions. DXM is not a substitute for marijuana, nor is marijuana a substitute for alcohol. Each of these substances has its own risks, its own rewards. Each of these has its own "signal," if you will. Intelligently used drugs offer the chance to explore the heights (and depths) of one's own mind. The contents are beautiful, ecstatic, horrible, comical, nauseating, boring, painful, trite, etc., You have in your hands the keys to the kingdom - not *just* a cool way to get fucked up on Saturday night. It has been advocated by some, and I have come to feel strongly, that we live in the golden age of psychedelia. Everyone remembers the hype surrounding the 60s, but the late 90s and the early years of the 21st century have been a far wilder time. Teenagers can order powerful botanical and synthetic psychedelics with money orders and have them delivered to their parent's homes in unassuming packages. Knowledge of recreational drugs is being more widely disseminated than ever before. When I was finishing high school in 1997, 1998, it was unimaginable to myself and most of my peers that the wealth of information in regard to drugs and other means of altering consciousness could actually exist. The Internet has brought more information (in all departments, not just pharmacology) to the eyes of a 6 year old than was available at any given time to humanity's best minds thirty years ago. There are an entire new generation of "heads," "freaks," or whatnot who have used DXM, 5-MeO-DMT, AMT, 5-MeO-DiPT, San Pedro cactus, Salvia Divinorum, etc., as their initiation into the world of psychedelia. I've talked to people who've never used acid, but can intelligently discuss different types of psychedelic experiences and the changes of state which they undergo. Over the last year I have very much realized my prejudice in favor of LSD - it was the psychedelic that, for the first time in my life, slapped me in the face and brought me to attention. I've had experiences just as rich on a number of other substances, but it wasn't until Sunday, during a dissociated romp through downtown San Francisco that these thoughts all started coming to a boil. But I rant. Suffice it to say that I believe this is a moment of unique possibility and promise, and that we should not waste it. The thing that makes the current situation with our quasi-(il)legal psychedelics infinitely amusing is that the government can't make any immediate moves to crack down without looking like idiots. For one thing, these are a set of drugs and drug users that they cannot, for all their broad logic, indict for aiding terrorism. Another issue is that this market has gone on for years, having only exploded in popularity in the pasty 4-5 years. Are we to believe that the government has been totally unaware of this activity for the past thirty years and that they've been caught by suprise? How competent does that make them look? {BEST YOKEL DICK COP VOICE} "Well, uh, you see, kids today use the computers a lot and we older people don't know so much about it so, yeah, it wasn't on our radar scree...I mean, we didn't see it coming." LOL. DXM is specifically exempted from scheduling except by express act of Congress (the story of DXM's legality is like a conspiracy theory). How are they going to explain that to Dr. Mom? The War on Drugs is over, and we won.
--
Pax,
Walkaway

--------------------
SUDDEN DECOMPRESSION MAY OCCUR

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedeepr
the dancer

Loc: nzl
Re: The Golden Age of Psychedelia [Re: Walkaway]
    #672491 - 06/11/02 12:41 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

If I sometimes act too "serious" it is because I am attempting to get you to rethink your habitual assumptions. You've had a lot of nonsense about the world drilled into your head since your were born, and that nonsense forms a filter that distorts everything you perceive

just some whining i did yesterday in a hurried essay on zen, related to what you said... bear in mind 'hurried' essay on zen.. keypad happy professional critics ;]

Zen is a difficult concept to explain, yet is a simple idea that once mastered, can help one who is spiritually ready to achieve the desired state of transcendence, enlightenment. Failing this required spiritual maturity, the practice of Zen Buddhism can help anyone to realise truth in their everyday life. Truth is not our current human nature, too often people excuse our behaviour as natural. Darwins ideas of natural selection were not only accepted and helped to change the direction of science and western religion, they have become the bible, the rules and way-out for everyday life. Survival of the fittest, group selection are processes that our world is grounded on and directed by. In this way, it has become de rigueur for corporate ideals to control the media and politics and the economy, these unfortunate main pillars of modern society. The power and benefit is shared by few and guarded closely, new members are only accepted into the fold after rigorous training and observation. There is no room for those who defect against the common goal, the implications of this could result in loss of supremacy? unless of course these views make up a viable significant portion of the target audience. Marketing strategies designed by psychologists can soon be devised to bring about a positive change in perception in the less hardy individuals however?

This change in our acceptance of mass culture itself has evolved slowly, morphing through slow advances, pushing its boundaries constantly to see how far the public can be pressed at once. People are selfish, corruption spreads and takes hold of our true nature until we succumb to it. It is an addiction that spreads across the world, with a high infection rate. But this is deemed natural to us from a young age ..we are brainwashed into acceptance, our modern version of society where a child is raised to be successful, success measured in wealth of material possessions, power held over others and the size of ones bank balance. It seems increasingly apparent that too think outside the square is frowned upon, there is a fine line between genius and insanity in the ignorant unsteady gaze of society. It is this close minded attitude that characterises western truth. Why is this attitude apparent? Was Darwin really correct in assuming that our attitudes are merely sculpted by the cruel hand of survival?
The homo sapien problem can be characterised by a general immaturity. An inability to control our desires and cravings. Our capacity for advancing our situation has infinitely surpassed our capacity for true comprehension, therefore we are ignorant of our amassed power. As a race we are similar to teenagers, we have grown up fast? lacking control, immature, exploiting resources without concern, abusing ourselves and others, self-centred? We accept excuses for our collective behaviour, explaining away problems that may arise on others and not looking too far ahead, cause life is short right?
The main problem with accepting this behaviour as natural, (apart from those I have mentioned) is that we are hesitant to make a turn-around in this mindset, it takes effort to evolve spiritually, and we are lazy. It is hard to make this transition because it has it is not popular thought, so the sheep will not follow.. it has no short term gain for individuals, music is sublime, work has payday, exercise has endorphins, drugs have neurotransmitter agonists, television has survivor and food has flavour enhancer 621. There is no built in immediate reward system for spiritual awareness however, it is purely a long term benefit, something that humans as a race need to become aware of. If we lived twice as long, maybe this would increase our awareness of our future, and realise that at this stage of destruction we are not even going to be alive in 200 years time...

InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

#672708 - 06/11/02 05:27 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Hey Walkaway, I couldn't have said it better myself. (I think I tried once)

It's nice to see you in this neck of the woods.
I'm recovering from a very bad cough myself...

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: The Golden Age of Psychedelia [Re: deepr]
    #673329 - 06/11/02 02:02 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Great posts Walkaway and deepr!!

Walkaway- check your PMs.

deeper- have you by chance read Robert Pirsig's "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"?
Your post is almost like a disordered outline of that book.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisibleGRTUD
INFP
Male

Loc: United States
    #673408 - 06/11/02 02:57 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

"Tell me what you see,
Tell me what you hear,
If it's the same as me,
It's the Golden Aaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggeee!"
- Midnight Oil

--------------------
"New shit has come to light..."

Edited by GRTUD (06/11/02 02:58 PM)

Offlinedeepr
the dancer

Loc: nzl
Re: The Golden Age of Psychedelia [Re: Sclorch]
    #673626 - 06/11/02 05:06 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

thanks sclorch... yes i read that book, the half that i had anyway... and was irritated by his depressing outlook on life and his resilience to attempt to change his situation... how ironic ;]

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: The Golden Age of Psychedelia [Re: deepr]
    #673878 - 06/11/02 07:53 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

and was irritated by his depressing outlook on life and his resilience to attempt to change his situation

You should have finished the book my friend. It was a happy ending.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom