Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFungi_x
Firekeeper of OTD
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Michigan Flag
A Job at a Mushroom Farm!
    #6700831 - 03/22/07 08:50 PM (17 years, 1 day ago)

There is a specialty
mushroom farm, "producing oyster, shiitake, black poplar, cinnamon nameko and the elusive morels." withing a hours drive of where I live. I would really love to get a job there but I dont know what I should put on the application. Holly crap would I be in heaven if I could work there! Any suggestions?

I have a PDF about the company attached It has a pretty cool little photo in it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemikeytro
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: A Job at a Mushroom Farm! [Re: Fungi_x]
    #6700849 - 03/22/07 08:53 PM (17 years, 1 day ago)

yea that sucks you cant put growing psilocybin mushrooms on the application
good luck man

--------------------
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Einstein

InvisibleSofaKingGood
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: A Job at a Mushroom Farm! [Re: mikeytro]
    #6700866 - 03/22/07 08:56 PM (17 years, 1 day ago)

Just say that you have grown gourmet mushrooms before and know a variety of cultivation techniques. Gourmet mushrooms are mushrooms you eat right....so technically Ps. mushrooms are gourmet......you are just smudging the truth..

--------------------
[quote]I8thesh400m said:
he-has-as-have-i-chek-My-ratings:thumbup:
to-the-post-origionator-5-to-you
there-are-nice-people-but-be-smart
my-spacebar-is-broke:p [/quote]

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: A Job at a Mushroom Farm! [Re: SofaKingGood]
    #6700903 - 03/22/07 09:03 PM (17 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

SofaKingGood said:
Just say that you have grown gourmet mushrooms before and know a variety of cultivation techniques. Gourmet mushrooms are mushrooms you eat right....so technically Ps. mushrooms are gourmet......you are just smudging the truth..

:yesnod:

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

#6700935 - 03/22/07 09:08 PM (17 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

Fungi_x said:
I would really love to get a job there but I dont know what I should put on the application.

Seriously dude, being up front with people has always been my best bet.  But then again, there are ways to answer questions and there are ways to answer questions...

"Well, I do have some hobbyist-level experience cultivating mushrooms indoors and while I understand the techniques would be different, the underlying principles and best practices should be the same."

And then start talking about mitigating contamination risks, maintaining humidity, etc.  Stick with stuff that's very general in topic and if he asks, specifically, what strain... just give him an innocent smile and say the "wild kind".

If he has a problem with it, better you don't have the job and if he lets it slide, then you know he's not judging you by it and is valuing what experience you do have.

:justdontknow:

IMHO, YMMV...

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

InvisibleSofaKingGood
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: A Job at a Mushroom Farm! [Re: mycocurious]
    #6700957 - 03/22/07 09:11 PM (17 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

mycocurious said:
Quote:

Fungi_x said:
I would really love to get a job there but I dont know what I should put on the application.

Seriously dude, being up front with people has always been my best bet.  But then again, there are ways to answer questions and there are ways to answer questions...

"Well, I do have some hobbyist-level experience cultivating mushrooms indoors and while I understand the techniques would be different, the underlying principles and best practices should be the same."

And then start talking about mitigating contamination risks, maintaining humidity, etc.  Stick with stuff that's very general in topic and if he asks, specifically, what strain... just give him an innocent smile and say the "wild kind".

If he has a problem with it, better you don't have the job and if he lets it slide, then you know he's not judging you by it and is valuing what experience you do have.

:justdontknow:

IMHO, YMMV...

yea I agree

--------------------
[quote]I8thesh400m said:
he-has-as-have-i-chek-My-ratings:thumbup:
to-the-post-origionator-5-to-you
there-are-nice-people-but-be-smart
my-spacebar-is-broke:p [/quote]

OfflineVibrate
with me

Re: A Job at a Mushroom Farm! [Re: SofaKingGood]
    #6701026 - 03/22/07 09:27 PM (17 years, 1 day ago)

That would be a great learning experience. Good Luck.

--------------------
I love you

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: A Job at a Mushroom Farm! [Re: Vibrate]
    #6701093 - 03/22/07 09:38 PM (17 years, 1 day ago)

How did you find this job,I would like to know where to look to see if there is anything like this around me

OfflineFungi_x
Firekeeper of OTD

Folding@home Statistics
Re: A Job at a Mushroom Farm! [Re: Blutjager]
    #6701425 - 03/22/07 11:15 PM (17 years, 1 day ago)

I herd about the place through a friend that read about it in the paper.

OfflineSebastian23
Stranger
Male

Loc: Bay
    #6701490 - 03/22/07 11:40 PM (17 years, 1 day ago)

Good luck, that sounds like a great learning experience. I'd have to go with the up front method, though. I mean, don't show up unshaven, wearing tie dye and offer to sell the interviewer some blotter, but cultivation of actives is as valid as gourmet, isn't it?

--------------------
"If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment
with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp
it was written on."
-Terence McKenna
Marijuana Myths Debunked

OfflineFungi_x
Firekeeper of OTD

Folding@home Statistics
Re: A Job at a Mushroom Farm! [Re: Sebastian23]
    #6701689 - 03/23/07 01:04 AM (17 years, 1 day ago)

Im thinking of going out tomorrow and getting a application. Maybe I can  post it and see what you guys would say on it :shrug:

I really want this job!

InvisiblePoC
Relax
Male User Gallery

#6701977 - 03/23/07 04:10 AM (17 years, 22 hours ago)

It'd be pretty cool if you posted the application and we could all see what's up with it. I'm very curious myself.

--------------------

Offlineboatshow
Stranger

Re: A Job at a Mushroom Farm! [Re: PoC]
    #6702577 - 03/23/07 10:02 AM (17 years, 16 hours ago)

If I lived just a little closer (I'm like 90 minutes away) I'd kick your ass and steal that job.

--------------------
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked,
Dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix,
Angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night

Offlinepokermush
Waterboardingmyself toprotect America!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Utah
Re: A Job at a Mushroom Farm! [Re: boatshow]
    #6702611 - 03/23/07 10:21 AM (17 years, 16 hours ago)

Think about it...

What are the chances that someone who runs a mushroom farm, so is obviously educated about mushrooms, doesn't grow and enjoy shrooms on the side?

You have nothing to worry about, except the interviewer hitting you up for a spore print. :laugh: And your enthusiasm for growing will surely land you the job.

Offlineillchemist
Stranger
Re: A Job at a Mushroom Farm! [Re: pokermush]
    #6702698 - 03/23/07 11:00 AM (17 years, 15 hours ago)

My family has been large scale mushroom farmers (mainly agaricus) for 3 generations. They never enjoyed eating psilocybes although they would sometimes joke about how much more money they could make with a "magic mushroom" crop. In my experience, mushroom farmers are far from being hippies. They are more like high-tempered, hot blooded Italians trying to put food on the table. It takes a god-awful lot of work to efficiently run a mushrooom farm. Everything happens so quickly. "Organized chaos" is what we would call it.

The farm had a large compost wharf where larges amounts of substrate could be prepared year round with turners and tractors. So much is scientifically done now but my brother could walk into a room and smell if everything was right with the mycelium. He could even smell what kind of infection, if any, was present.

I've got plenty of stories to go around, that's for sure. It's a shame that the whole operation is sold, now. I grew up my whole life in the mushroom environment and I'm now getting into learning it as a hobby.

I hope you enjoy yourself. A specialty grower's op might be a little different but it sounds cool nonetheless.

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: A Job at a Mushroom Farm! [Re: illchemist]
    #6702707 - 03/23/07 11:05 AM (17 years, 15 hours ago)

Quote:

illchemist said:
My family has been large scale mushroom farmers (mainly agaricus) for 3 generations.

I've got plenty of stories to go around, that's for sure.

Seriously, you should in the pub sometime....

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

Offlinestrangladesh
masterOFpuppets
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right Here!
Re: A Job at a Mushroom Farm! [Re: mycocurious]
    #6702730 - 03/23/07 11:12 AM (17 years, 15 hours ago)

post the application i dont believe you.

OfflineFungi_x
Firekeeper of OTD

Folding@home Statistics
Re: A Job at a Mushroom Farm! [Re: strangladesh]
    #6702966 - 03/23/07 12:41 PM (17 years, 13 hours ago)

You talking to me? You guys really need to learn how to use the reply function.

Invisiblemushbaby
woodswalker
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in my own lil world
Re: A Job at a Mushroom Farm! [Re: pokermush]
    #6703008 - 03/23/07 12:58 PM (17 years, 13 hours ago)

Quote:

pokermush said:
Think about it...

What are the chances that someone who runs a mushroom farm, so is obviously educated about mushrooms, doesn't grow and enjoy shrooms on the side?

You have nothing to worry about, except the interviewer hitting you up for a spore print. :laugh: And your enthusiasm for growing will surely land you the job.

I don't think I would go in with this attitude.  The company is probably worriedabout someone wanting a job for these reasons.  But I would definitely mention the hobby, just fudge a bit.  If they are straight laced they wouldn't find the joke too funny from an interviewee.  I haved worked in farm supply retail and jokes about pot growing were rarely made and discouraged.  Good Luck!

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #6703024 - 03/23/07 01:04 PM (17 years, 13 hours ago)

Most people just type into the box at the bottom, and by default it 'replies to' the last poster.

I know the owners of several local mushroom farms in my area and every single one of them got their start with growing magic mushrooms, then went into the legal business. They're business people and hard workers, but far from prudes. Just put down that you have experience and cautiously decline to talk about species during the interview and they'll get the point, but at the same time know you're being discrete. None of them will hire someone who brags about psilocybes because that could bring heat on them.

That said, most of the jobs at mushroom farms are just labor. There's lots of compost to turn, trucks and tractors/forklifts to drive and floors to sweep and high pressure wash. Unless you get a job in the 'lab' it isn't going to be much to do with mushrooms unless you're a picker, and in that case you have to learn to work very fast, which is darned hard work, and stops being fun after the first fifteen minutes.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds