Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJeroen198
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maastricht, The Netherlan...
months of prepatation for first time screw up?
    #669464 - 06/09/02 03:36 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I love mushrooms and i love this site, so i decideded to give cultivation a go. I tend to take things slowly, so it took me about half a year before i got all my supplies.

Past wednesday: the time had come..

1. BRF, verm, water and B+ syringe, 3 jars

2. i somehow managed to come up with 3 different recipes for each jar, because i had major difficulties with the measuring cup. the first jar was too wet (i decided it looked dry and put in some extra water, bad idea). the second one looked good, because i wetted the verm first, not the flour as the tek i was using instructed, the 3rd one was inbetween.

3. i cooked the jars for an hour(*sigh*, no PC), metal lids not screwed on tightly, 4 holes taped, tinfoiled.

4. found out that i forgot to tape the holes on jar 2 (the good jar).

5. the jars still looked ok after they cooled..

6. i cleaned the table with alcohol, wore gloves, dust mask.
flamed the needles. here it goes. problem one, the tape. i decided to burn the needle through the tape. i have no idea if this was wrong. problem 2, i could not properly see the amount of spore solution i injected so i wasted almost half a syringe on 3 jars, but thats OK as long as they will colonize.

7. left the inoculation holes open for air exchange, put the jars on a sheet of tinfoil, in a cardboard box, covered with black plastic. Temp. is about 22 degrees Celsius, but the humidity around 60% whereas lower humidity, around 30% was advised for colonisation. i have no idea how to get the humidity down.

Right now i'm just waiting, and i cant check if they are colonising yet because i am not at 'my other place'. I'll see if anything happened tomorrow when i go back there..

Sorry for whining like the newbie i am. I just really hope this is going to work and i needed to get this off my chest.

Feel free to say i fucked up, or not. I'm not asking anybody to tell me what i should do next time, even though it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and keep on shroomin'

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
Re: months of prepatation for first time screw up? [Re: Jeroen198]
    #669472 - 06/09/02 04:00 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

>>the second one looked good, because i wetted the verm first, not the flour as the tek i was using instructed,
perfect. thats what you should always do but when you mix in teh future; mix ALL your verm in a bowl with the correct water ratio and then add all teh flour and scoop the big mix into your jars; it keeps all your jars consistant.

>>i cooked the jars for an hour(*sigh*, no PC), metal lids not screwed on tightly, 4 holes taped, tinfoiled.
no PC should be fine; i usually do 75 minutes when i cant borrow my friends PC and its usually pretty good; but your chances with only 3 jars is kinda limited. screw the lids and screw the tape . just keep the lids on tight with 4 holes and tinfoil over the top while cooking and thats ok. then you can just poke the syringe thru the tinfoil and tape those holes instead of trying to burn thru the tape when innoculating.
>>i could not properly see the amount of spore solution i injected so i wasted almost half a syringe on 3 jars, but thats OK as long as they will colonize.
thats all fine. just watch the plunger (the black rubber part that moves inside your syringe) next time when youre squeezing it in there and as soon as you see it move like 1/2 cc then stop.
>>left the inoculation holes open for air exchange,
should seal them up. air exchange is not important in teh beginning; myc growth actually enjoys a high level of CO2 for the spawn run; the only reason jars stal near the end is because ALL the oxygen is used up. in that case you untape your holes and flip them over. but if you used my advise with taping the tinfoil and not the holes; you wont need to mess w/ anything when you flip them cos its never completely sealed; just well enough to keep any contams from getting in.
>>put the jars on a sheet of tinfoil, in a cardboard box, covered with black plastic. Temp. is about 22 degrees Celsius, but the humidity around 60% whereas lower humidity, around 30% was advised for colonisation. i have no idea how to get the humidity down.
i dunno what 22*C is off the top of my head but dont go over 85 fahrenheit; 80-85 is plenty warm enough. ive never measured humidity with any type of gauge but my jars incubate is appx 80% humidity (sometimes i notice condensation in my incubation chamber) in about 15 days. heeping the chamber humid just makes sure your jars dont evaporate; the RH (relative humidity) inside your jars is not very much afffected by the RH in the chamber; until you get past 2 weeks or so. the jars should be sealed off pretty well and not much interaction with the environment outside the glass.
i dunno how wet or dry your jars really are but id try and get that last 5cc into about 5 more jars just in case your 1st 3 dont go as planned. when using brf/erm jars i use 1:1:2 (BRF:water:verm) exactly. works great just mix verm and water 1st then evenly sprinkle the brf on it.
good luck.

--------------------
Holy shit people; COMMON SENSE! we were all born with it where did it go?
maybe theres a tek out there to explain how to use it!
BUCKETS BRIGADE left hand man!!!

OfflineJeroen198
Male User Gallery

Re: months of prepatation for first time screw up? [Re: BeppoMarx]
    #669557 - 06/09/02 06:06 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks a lot Beppo. That was very helpful.
I'll keep you updated on my progress.

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Trusted Cultivator
    #669561 - 06/09/02 06:08 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

half a Year!!!!

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

OfflineJeroen198
Male User Gallery

Re: months of prepatation for first time screw up? [Re: Ripple]
    #669570 - 06/09/02 06:15 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

yes, thats right, half a year

The biggest problem was, believe it or not, the vermiculite. I found the stuff at a reptile exhibit which is here to visit only twice a year.

I've got a good deal of the stuff in stock now though so i'm all set for the serious approach, once i get the hang of it. :

Invisibletheseeker
addict
 User Gallery
    #669591 - 06/09/02 06:24 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

where do you buy 3 jars?

OfflineEightball
whore consumer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #669622 - 06/09/02 06:44 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

personally i think you just wasted time and supplies. get your shit together, get the right supplies and follow the directions. don't just add water cause you *think* its too dry, what do you know? follow the directions and you will get mushrooms. leaving those holes open prolly just contaminated the hell out of your substrate. and why are you doing 3 jars? if you have a problem finding canning jars, use pasta sauce jars (like Classico brand)

--------------------
If you're frightened of dying and you're holding on.you'll see devils tearing your life away.
But...if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels
Freeing you from the earth.

Offlinewindex
old hand
Re: months of prepatation for first time screw up? [Re: Eightball]
    #669693 - 06/09/02 07:26 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

months of preperation for three jars? dosnt seem quite worth it to me....

my first attempt i did one dozon half pints, wasnt very impressed with brf. Second attempt, cased a mycobag, 300g fresh, 1 oz dry on first flush last thursday. This thursday i expect the same casing to produce about 250g. And only took one weekend of gathering supplys.

Offlinegrowin
addict
    #669717 - 06/09/02 07:55 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

man, i have trouble finding supplies too, but u can wok things out.
if u having trouble finding jars, instead use regular drinkning glasses sealed with a double layered tin foil. works great for me. therse a tek writen down somewhere but i cant find the link. pm me if u need help.

verm isnt found here either in nurseries, so i opened up yellow pages and looked for agriculture supply stores. god huge sacks of perlite and verm to last a lifetime for 15$ each. if you cant find verm anyway, just use birdseeds or rye.

go gO GO!

a growin original

OfflineJeroen198
Male User Gallery

Re: months of prepatation for first time screw up? [Re: Eightball]
    #670082 - 06/09/02 01:47 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

as i said, i am slow. It took me months because i wasnt in a hurry. Now that i know where to find all the stuff, its no longer a problem.

I have more then enough jars and supplies, i just wanted to start with 3 of them. I wrote down exactly what i did, so if there are any contams, i will know what to do next time. I dont think i will get bored with this hobby any time soon so it has definetely not been a waste of time, and i dont really see why you have to put it like that.

Just because you're a lot faster and more experienced doesnt mean you have to be an ass to the ones who try a different approach. If you read Beppomarx's reply you'll find nothing but all the information i needed, without him/her sounding like an ass about it.

OfflineLoop_Theorist
addict
    #670195 - 06/09/02 03:14 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I know this is OT, but Nice choice for your avitar man, Aphex Twin is one of my personal heros

--------------------
Pack-tight, midnight, ship it to tha coast.
Some take tha plane, you, you on tha boat,
right beside tha money which right beside tha coke
Passin by tha coastgaurd, right under their nose.

To the US-HEY where anyone can getny, MIA all the way to New Your city, you a twenty now....

Offlinemidas
Loc: dirty south
    #670353 - 06/09/02 04:48 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

jars at any walmart and most grocery stores
got my verm at lowes next to the perlite pic some of it up to

i incoc my jars by having the jars sealed with masking tape before they go into the p.c. and when the jars cool i wipe the tape over the holes with alchohol and flame the needle for thre to four sec and since the tape is soft i push through it with the needle and cover the hole immediatly with more masking tape over the original tape and i never bother with foil but make shure to dry the tape after p.c.ing cuz it will turn to mush if let to sit soaked. than i lightly tap the jars down to shake the dry verm oer any little hole the needle might have made when injecting

if the above was somehow fundementally wrong someone please pm me but i do know of fundemental promlems of proper air & moisture content and such and have it pretty well balanced out for my situation but if ther is something else pm me--thx

i know you are going small scale but three jars is a little odd six would seem more like an experiment but three is like making a pot of coffee for only one sip.

your first time you want everything to be perfect but don't worry about all the details 95% of what we here worry about and pine over has little affect on on weither you actually get results we are all just alittle paranoid and pride ourselves on how we cultivate and giving our babies every advantage we can. just follow the teks posted here at the shroomery and if you really read and reread the teks without too much reading inbetween the lines you would have found all your answers. i promise i can quote and give you everything but the specific page number your answers are there. remember these teks are not a reciepe to be read and put together but more of a method you know and use.

now that you have the supplies i recommend you try just throwing three more jars together for fun and not worry about the details. try it and i bet you will get the same (or maybe even better ) results than with your three seeminly trying and difficult first jars. this will show you how easy and fun it can be. enjoment is why we do this it shouldn't ever be more than just challenging or i wouldn't do it. maybe you could give yourself a time limit, say hour and a half from start till you get them in to the p.c.. this should be plenty of time since you have already done it once and now you can do it knowing if you f it up you still got those first three.

i hope some of this helped welcome to the wonderful class of cultivator and good luck.

OfflineJeroen198
Male User Gallery

Re: months of prepatation for first time screw up? [Re: midas]
    #693854 - 06/22/02 08:40 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Ok well i now realize that the title of my thread sounds a bit negative and that i should have kept my mouth shut. But i have little patience..

Fortunately, after about 10 days i saw specs of mycellium in each jar! i was so happy i immediately inoculated another 3 jars, and it went a lot better and faster this time. After about 20 days, the first 3 jars were about 70-80% colonised! The jar which i had put extra water in even colonized the fastest, but i stuck to the regular substrate recipe anyway because i know theres a chance it might get contaminated sooner. So far everything looks pretty healthy though.

Thanks again for all the tips. I think i will have to birth the first 3 cakes in a few days. Should be fun!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures