Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleXxshinerxX
Explorer
 User Gallery

*Public Hearing* Texas House Bill 2347 to ban Salvia divinorum *Public Hearing*
    #6677374 - 03/16/07 04:05 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

******UPDATE******
There is now a public hearing scheduled for HB 2347 on March 28.
Do not let our voice go unheard!
******UPDATE******

On March 8, Rep. Charles Anderson (R-Waco) authored a bill to schedule Salvia divinorum. The bill is currently residing with the Criminal Jurisprudence committee for review. The representatives on the committe are listed below along with contact information.

Texas Legislature HB 2347 to ban Salvia divinorum

Rep. Aaron Pena (D-Edinburgh)

Capitol Office
Room EXT E1.512
P.O. Box 2910
Austin, TX 78768

(512) 463-0426

Rep. Allen Vaught (D-Dallas)

Capitol Office
Room EXT E2.404
P.O. Box 2910
Austin, TX 78768

(512) 463-0244

Rep. Debbie Riddle (R-Houston)

Capitol Office
Room EXT E2.208
P.O. Box 2910
Austin, TX 78768

(512) 463-0572

Rep. Juan Manuel Escobar (D-Kingsville)

Capitol Office
Room EXT E2.606
P.O. Box 2910
Austin, TX 78768

(512) 463-0666

Rep. Terri Hodge (D-Dallas)

Capitol Office
Room EXT E2.818
P.O. Box 2910
Austin, TX 78768

(512) 463-0586

Rep. Barbara Mallory Caraway (D-Dallas)

Capitol Office
Room EXT E2.420
P.O. Box 2910
Austin, TX 78768

(512) 463-0664

Rep. Paul Moreno (D-El Paso)

Capitol Office
Room CAP 1W.09
P.O. Box 2910
Austin, TX 78768

(512) 463-0638

Rep. Paula Pierson (D-Arlington)

Capitol Office
Room EXT E1.216
P.O. Box 2910
Austin, TX 78768

(512) 463-0562

Rep. Robert Talton (R-Pasadena)

Capitol Office
Room CAP GW.18
P.O. Box 2910
Austin, TX 78768

(512) 463-0460

If you are a constituent of any of the previously listed representatives you have a responsibilty to make your voice heard in a professional manner.

Edited by XxshinerxX (03/23/07 06:36 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblejoker_man
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Texas House Bill 2347 to ban Salvia divinorum [Re: XxshinerxX]
    #6677387 - 03/16/07 04:09 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

God, I fucking hate legislators. On what grounds are they banning salvia?

Because it's a drug that's not alcohol or tobacco?

If you have no logic, become a legislator.

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery

Loc: innsmouth..MA
here ah sit wit' m'buns a-flexin givin birth to another texan... [Re: joker_man]
    #6679329 - 03/17/07 04:09 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

its time to ship texas over to israel...i mean..is one radio with a big beat really worth keeping around all those neocon feces-turds for??...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

Edited by Annapurna1 (03/17/07 04:54 AM)

Offlinededjam
Electro Penguin
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Moralton, Statesota
Re: Texas House Bill 2347 to ban Salvia divinorum [Re: joker_man]
    #6686324 - 03/19/07 06:53 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

joker_man said:

Devils advocate here -

Is it not the job of the representatives to do the will of the people in a democracy? DO you not believe the majority of people want salvia banned?

Our lawmakers have more logic than you can imagine. Most have been through law school and have spent years dealing logic and law. Just because you disagree, doesnt mean someone is being illogical, it means you dont see where they are comming from.

Now my thoughts: We have a democracy, but a constitution that should protect the minority from the will of the majority. Lawmakers should not be making laws the impose on people personal freedoms to put a substance into their own bodies. However, it isnt the fault of the lawmakers, but the people. The people WANT their lawmakers to take away the person freedoms of others, the people WANT lawmakers to make laws that are unconstitutional...and the people that want to BE lawmakers have to play that game if they wish to keep their jobs. Alot of people go into politics with good intentions...it's the people of this country that are turning it all to shit.

Invisiblejoker_man
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Texas House Bill 2347 to ban Salvia divinorum [Re: dedjam]
    #6686399 - 03/19/07 08:14 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

gopenguins said:
Quote:

joker_man said:

Devils advocate here -

Is it not the job of the representatives to do the will of the people in a democracy? DO you not believe the majority of people want salvia banned?

Our lawmakers have more logic than you can imagine. Most have been through law school and have spent years dealing logic and law. Just because you disagree, doesnt mean someone is being illogical, it means you dont see where they are comming from.

Now my thoughts: We have a democracy, but a constitution that should protect the minority from the will of the majority. Lawmakers should not be making laws the impose on people personal freedoms to put a substance into their own bodies. However, it isnt the fault of the lawmakers, but the people. The people WANT their lawmakers to take away the person freedoms of others, the people WANT lawmakers to make laws that are unconstitutional...and the people that want to BE lawmakers have to play that game if they wish to keep their jobs. Alot of people go into politics with good intentions...it's the people of this country that are turning it all to shit.

I agree with you for some part. I know the legislators are smart and have a goal, but on the whole, their decision is entirely illogical for the people and the republic.

Find me a group of people that are pushing for Salvia to be banned. Find me the signature petitions to ban salvia. I think most people don 't know what Salvia is, and if they do, they don't give a flying fuck. If you can show me the people's movement against Salvia, then I'll agree with you.

I suppose that legislators want to ban Salvia to put it on their records. "Hey, I drafted a bill that banned a highly dangerous and hallucinogenic substance because I care about your kids and the communities they grow up in. Elect me for governor in 2008, and I'll keep your republican asshole tighter than ever!" Texas is a republican state. Most people don't know/care about salvia, but republicans in general applaud any movement to ban any non-over-the-counter drug. It's all about the money and fame.

There is probably pressure on the states from the DEA, too.

This is not representation of the people. Just about everything happens without the any input on from the people. This is America. Enjoy your stay.

Offlinededjam
Electro Penguin
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #6686416 - 03/19/07 08:30 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

joker_man said:
This is not representation of the people. Just about everything happens without the any input on from the people. This is America. Enjoy your stay.

This is America, and while I hate our politics I love my country. If you want to bitch about not being fairly represented, then you can always start Voter Initiatives. If people really dont want salvia banned, then collect the signatures, get it on the ballot, and keep it legal?

While we may be unjustly represented by people (who, no matter how much you hate them for what they do...they are still elected by the people) who are just money hungry, we still have the oppertunity to change things ourselves. If you really dont like the way things are, do something about it. Bitching about our lawmakers is not the way to start a change.

Invisiblejoker_man
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6686428 - 03/19/07 08:43 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

gopenguins said:
Quote:

joker_man said:

This is America, and while I hate our politics I love my country. If you want to bitch about not being fairly represented, then you can always start Voter Initiatives. If people really dont want salvia banned, then collect the signatures, get it on the ballot, and keep it legal?

While we may be unjustly represented by people (who, no matter how much you hate them for what they do...they are still elected by the people) who are just money hungry, we still have the oppertunity to change things ourselves. If you really dont like the way things are, do something about it. Bitching about our lawmakers is not the way to start a change.

You are entirely missing my point. People in general don't even know what Salvia is and nor do they care about making it illegal. I'm sure 99% of people would rather have lawmakers working on something else. It happens WITHOUT the input or desire of the people.

BUT BUT BUT, when the lawmakers do make salvia illegal, and fabricate stories about how they saved Texas' youth from a "very dangerous" drug, then it will be well recieved by the republican majority.

I don't live in Texas, sir. I don't have much of an input in what goes on there. I know there are lots of good Texans out there, but for the most part it is a shit state.

I'm just stating how things are, and you interpret that as bitching?  :confused:

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #6686475 - 03/19/07 09:06 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Is it not the job of the representatives to do the will of the people in a democracy?

However, it isnt the fault of the lawmakers, but the people.

It IS the fault of the lawmakers. Here's why:

The problem here is that the will of the people is being skewed by outright lies from the government. When the government repeatedly tells the people that marijuana causes insanity and murder, as they did early last century, or that marijuana has absolutely no medical uses of any kind, as they're doing today, the people fall squarely behind the government's efforts to criminalize such a 'dangerous' substance. And since most people with no interest in recreational drugs will listen to the government before they'll take time to research for themselves, the government's false claims end up taking on an air of truth even when they're patently false.

This theme repeats now re salvia, which is harmless compared to the really dangerous drugs alcohol and tobacco. But since alcohol and tobacco are good taxable drugs, no one in the government will point this out.

In any case, even if salvia really was harmful, the government should not have the power to use violence to imprison informed, consenting adults who wish to use the drug anyway just because most of the people agree with this.

It used to be the 'will of the people' to enslave blacks. That wasn't right either even though the majority of the people once supported it.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #6686478 - 03/19/07 09:07 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

> Our lawmakers have more logic than you can imagine.

Yes, which is why a California city nearly outlawed styrofoam cups because of the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide (water) and Indiana tried to legistlate the value of pi to be an exact, rather than an irrational, number.  Certainly more logic that I can imagine... :rolleyes:

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinededjam
Electro Penguin
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Texas House Bill 2347 to ban Salvia divinorum [Re: Seuss]
    #6686484 - 03/19/07 09:10 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> Our lawmakers have more logic than you can imagine.

Yes, which is why a California city nearly outlawed styrofoam cups because of the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide (water) and Indiana tried to legistlate the value of pi to be an exact, rather than an irrational, number.  Certainly more logic that I can imagine... :rolleyes:

Im not defending them, but if you dont realize that there was something going on behind the scenes then you are an idiot (which from your posts i really dont believe). MOST lawmakers are highly educated, intelligent people. They are just driven by other things.

Im tired of playing devils advocate...fuck them all. But dont bitch on the internet about the way the country is heading when I dont see any of you campaigning, or setting up voter initiatives. Its easy to complain about all the stupid people ruining your life...its hard to get up and do something about it.

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
Re: Texas House Bill 2347 to ban Salvia divinorum [Re: XxshinerxX]
    #6686674 - 03/19/07 11:06 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

this looks like it will actually ban the plant itself as opposed to just dried material like most other states have done

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Texas House Bill 2347 to ban Salvia divinorum [Re: demiu5]
    #6686711 - 03/19/07 11:24 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

However, it isnt the fault of the lawmakers, but the people

An 'illegal' plant.

If it wasn't so absurdly idiotic, it would be funny.

I wonder how people will look back on this in 100 years. Probably the same way we look back on debter's prisons and gladiatorial games today. :shake:

--------------------
Republican Values:

3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

Offlinededjam
Electro Penguin
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Texas House Bill 2347 to ban Salvia divinorum [Re: Diploid]
    #6686791 - 03/19/07 11:58 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Diploid said:
However, it isnt the fault of the lawmakers, but the people

An 'illegal' plant.

If it wasn't so absurdly idiotic, it would be funny.

I wonder how people will look back on this in 100 years. Probably the same way we look back on debter's prisons and gladiatorial games today. :shake:

Certainly doesnt seem like many people outside of communities like this are too upset over an "illegal plant". I think its absurd, but we need to change the people before we ever expect the government to change.

In a 100 years people will be so unable to think for themselves that the past will have no influence anyways. The government only has as much power as we give it, sadly the majority of Americans dont mind turning their freedoms over to a power hungry group of elected officials.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #6687204 - 03/19/07 01:46 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

> Im tired of playing devils advocate...

I have a lot of respect for people that can argue 'the other side' of things. If I cannot argue my opponents position, then I don't truly understand the issue. But, as you said, it becomes tiring after a while, especially when people personalize the debate.

> They are just driven by other things.

Mostly greed, I suspect. If lawmakers were concerned about the people, they would have passed campaign reform long ago...

> An 'illegal' plant.

Why is it illegal to get 'high'?

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisibleelbisivni
Re: here ah sit wit' m'buns a-flexin givin birth to another texan... [Re: Annapurna1]
    #6687362 - 03/19/07 02:14 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Annapurna1 said:
its time to ship texas over to israel...i mean..is one radio with a big beat really worth keeping around all those neocon feces-turds for??...

hooray doors references

--------------------
From dust you are made and to dust you shall return.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
    #6688408 - 03/19/07 06:23 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I think its absurd, but we need to change the people before we ever expect the government to change.

You can't change the people so long as they base decisions on government lies.

--------------------
Republican Values:

OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

Loc: California
Re: Texas House Bill 2347 to ban Salvia divinorum [Re: Diploid]
    #6689658 - 03/19/07 10:38 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Diploid said:

An 'illegal' plant.

I have thought about this many times. An "illegal" plant. How do we make illegal what naturally grows in some areas? For instance, there was a pot plant near my girlfriends mothers house. It was actually in an empty field between two houses. If law makers/enforcers were to see this plant, who would they charge (if anyone)? Is it our fault that mother nature grows plants we like? If roses were made illegal because the scent made girls wet with pleasure, should I be arrested for having one grow naturally in my back yard? Or better yet, should girls be arrested for smelling them? It doesnt make sense to me how a plant could be illegal in a non-contained environment like earth. Maybe I could understand if we were living on a moon colony and these things were illegal to have or grow. But in a natural, uncontrolled setting, like a forest or a creek bed, I just cant understand.

--------------------

There is not a lot of difference between a fox hole and a grave; but knowing that you dug your ditch and climbed in anyway.

Offlinekotik
fuckingsuperhero
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Texas House Bill 2347 to ban Salvia divinorum [Re: AaronEvil]
    #6694391 - 03/21/07 05:32 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

AaronEvil said:
Quote:

Diploid said:

An 'illegal' plant.

I have thought about this many times. An "illegal" plant. How do we make illegal what naturally grows in some areas? For instance, there was a pot plant near my girlfriends mothers house. It was actually in an empty field between two houses. If law makers/enforcers were to see this plant, who would they charge (if anyone)? Is it our fault that mother nature grows plants we like? If roses were made illegal because the scent made girls wet with pleasure, should I be arrested for having one grow naturally in my back yard? Or better yet, should girls be arrested for smelling them? It doesnt make sense to me how a plant could be illegal in a non-contained environment like earth. Maybe I could understand if we were living on a moon colony and these things were illegal to have or grow. But in a natural, uncontrolled setting, like a forest or a creek bed, I just cant understand.

whats even more of a mindfuck (a little off topic), is how companies like monsanto and others are actually getting PATENTS on thousands and thousands of seeds / strains, and then when the patented crops grow, they spread seeds (as plants have naturally been doing for millions of years). If those seeds make it into another farmer's soil (say, by a bird, or wind, etc.) and they sprout, that farmer can now be sued for infringement.

It's really all about controlling everything. Pretty soon they will just make pleasure illegal, because its not efficient. But they'll never take away Beer or SportsCenter

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

InvisibleXxshinerxX
Explorer
 User Gallery

Re: Texas House Bill 2347 to ban Salvia divinorum [Re: kotik]
    #6697157 - 03/21/07 09:36 PM (17 years, 30 days ago)

The bill was sent to a subcommittee yesterday by the full committee chair. I posted a copy below of the role of a subcommitte taken from the Texas Legislature website.

Quote:

A bill requiring extensive analysis may be assigned to a subcommittee of the standing committee to which the bill has been referred. Subcommittees are appointed by the committee chair from the standing committee’s membership. After concluding its deliberation on a bill, the subcommittee may submit a written report to the full committee.

InvisibleXxshinerxX
Explorer
 User Gallery

Re: *Public Hearing* Texas House Bill 2347 to ban Salvia divinorum *Public Hearing* [Re: XxshinerxX]
    #6704019 - 03/23/07 06:37 PM (17 years, 28 days ago)

Bump...public hearing scheduled

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies