Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
A Goal
    #6662450 - 03/12/07 06:40 PM (17 years, 21 days ago)

I've been relaxing after work tonight, and I spent some time playing the synth in here. I consciously ensured that I was not attached to what outcome there was, and simply enjoyed playing whatever sprang forth, even setting some dance drum loops and playing ocarina over them. :smirk:

I have not spent much time playing synth. I have taken no lessons and am simply just a bit familiar with it, although I do think that I am pretty good for the time I've spent playing it (which isn't much - not good, but better than some would be, perhaps? :grin:).

Afterwards I opened up the file for Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata that someone put into guitar tablature (I'm a guitarist). I have reviewed the tab before and remembered how much the song stuck out to me.

I've always said to myself, usually about some complex, talented piece of guitarwork that I have the tablature for in this program that I use, if I were to simply sit down and dedicate myself towards learning and perfecting my ability to play it, effortlessly and from memory, then I would be a much more accomplished musician, and the manner in which I focus would develop and become more intensive.

So, here I am, new to playing keyboard (no guitar to distract me anymore, as it fell and the headstock snapped :frown:), with this composition, by an amazing man, that probably intimidates everyone. I've printed the music sheets for both hands.

I wonder how long it will take me to do this. It is a project that cannot take up too much time in one day, so I will have to make the most of the time that I have (which will be an incentive to focus). I have a very basic ability to read music, not like I can really play at the same time or anything. There are so many different facets of this goal that will all play their part...

Anyways, the main thing is for me to ensure that I do not fold on this. Its going to be an exercise in intention, which is something that I really need to work on right now. I think this will be an empowering project.

Has anyone else ever embarked on something like this? This sort of leads into thoughts on goals in general, as well. I mean, we are all getting older, every single day, might as well enjoy oneself and have fun developing ourselves for our own enjoyment. :grin:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: A Goal [Re: fireworks_god]
    #6662685 - 03/12/07 07:40 PM (17 years, 21 days ago)

bravo and good luck

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #6662760 - 03/12/07 08:03 PM (17 years, 21 days ago)

I learned to read and sight read classical guitar 21 years ago. I got quite good before easing up on it some 7 years back. I have taught myself the flute, the violin, bohdran, and the tin whistle to boot. Next was my survival phase and I taught myself to make flint arrow heads and wooden (and sinew backed) bows as well as basic wilderness survival skills. I even sold hand made longbows for a while. Learning to read music is not a daunting task and it will improve your guitar playing. I am always trying to stretch my skills into new areas to become a more well rounded person. It is a worthy practice.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#6662781 - 03/12/07 08:11 PM (17 years, 21 days ago)

And away you go! Let us know when you get the Sonata down and you can upload a recording of you playing it. So you don't have any piano/keyboard experience really? It doesn't matter that you can't sight read, as long as you can read, then basically learn it bit by bit as you go along, by memory and muscle memory. Sight reading is ideal of course but not necessary.

I used to do this a lot with my keyboard. Even when my main instrument was drums, as it has been for the past 10 years, and I have decided to learn a piece on piano I've done fine without very solid reading skills, but having a good ear will make all the difference. I learned Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness by the Smashing Pumkins this way and actually re-transcribed the song from another piece of hand-written transcription that was hard to read. This was when I was taking theory courses so the transcription was partly to make it easier to read, and partly to exercise the skill of writing out western notation on a bar line. I learned lots of little waltzes and Hungarian Dances and stuff without sight reading.

You said you had printed the music sheet for both hands, do you mean bass and treble clef are on seperate pieces of paper? I think it would be much easier to have both parts on the same paper. As far as how long it takes, how much work or effort, that truly does not matter as long as you truly decided this is what you want to do and you are going to do it. I bet it won't take as long as you think (though if you have zero keyboard experience, who knows, still doesn't matter though). Usually when I have gone about learning a piece of music, I'll spend a bigger chunk of time at the outset, maybe a few hours, immersing myself in the task and getting my faculties lined out for the purpose of doing it. Then once you are in go mode, you can spend less time, say just 10 or 15 minutes a couple times a day, working through the piece, learning it as you go along. It's just as effective, if not more so to work for 15 minutes, then take a break doing something else for a while then go back for another 15 minutes, take another break, go at it again, then to sit there grudgingly for 2 hours at a stretch thinking how much you'd rather be doing something else. Something about shifting your perception for a bit then coming back to it seems to be very useful when learning a new task or establishing a new neural pathway or way of working. Of course that's just one idea about the world.

Now go learn that piece!

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: A Goal [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #6665598 - 03/13/07 05:15 PM (17 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
Learning to read music is not a daunting task and it will improve your guitar playing. I am always trying to stretch my skills into new areas to become a more well rounded person. It is a worthy practice.

Its enriching, and its an opportunity to come to a greater understanding of the nature of reality through interaction with it... perhaps the roots of wisdom, like the grape to its finely aged wine? :grin:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: A Goal [Re: Viveka]
    #6665631 - 03/13/07 05:25 PM (17 years, 20 days ago)

Thanks for the post, it is great. :thumbup:

Quote:

Viveka said:
And away you go!  Let us know when you get the Sonata down and you can upload a recording of you playing it.  So you don't have any piano/keyboard experience really?  It doesn't matter that you can't sight read, as long as you can read, then basically learn it bit by bit as you go along, by memory and muscle memory.  Sight reading is ideal of course but not necessary.

No real experience with it. I'll definitely record myself when I get to the point to be able to do so. I plan to learn it half-speed first and then increase the speed - its like 190 bpm and there are consistent sixteenth notes... its like classical death metal. :headbang:

I'll learn to sight-read, but will also commit it to memory so that I can bust it out whenever. :smirk:

Quote:

You said you had printed the music sheet for both hands, do you mean bass and treble clef are on seperate pieces of paper?  I think it would be much easier to have both parts on the same paper.

Yes, it is from a guitar tablature program, and the person tabbed it as two different tracks, one the left hand and one the right. I could find one that is combined or make it one track myself, but I think this will actually help me learn to play better than it would if it were all on one sheet (I'll definitely play that way later on). I want to have both hands be distinct and develop a sense of time in the space between both sides (in my mind, of course :lol:) that will help me play very complex parts on each hand, perhaps stuff with odd timing going on between them and everything).

Quote:

As far as how long it takes, how much work or effort, that truly does not matter as long as you truly decided this is what you want to do and you are going to do it.  I bet it won't take as long as you think (though if you have zero keyboard experience, who knows, still doesn't matter though). 

I'm sure it won't take too long if I really put myself into it. It is a side-project when compared to something like work, but I'll try to put amounts of time in, in a consistent manner to really build it up.

Quote:

Now go learn that piece!

I'm going to clean the living room, let the ferrets out in there, and then sit down and play it for a bit before getting some sleep. I really need to start cutting down my time spent on this website. :grin:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#6684200 - 03/18/07 04:04 PM (17 years, 15 days ago)

Right on man.

So are you saying you're using some form of tablature or is the part notated on a bar line like sheet music? Don't think 've seen any kind of keyboard tablature, since the shape of the keyboard is a lot more linear and it wouldn't be as easy representing figures on a guitar fingerboard.

I'd be cool to hear whatever you could record. We all could stand to invest more energy in doing the good work, which I think developing musical ability is.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: A Goal [Re: Viveka]
    #6684216 - 03/18/07 04:07 PM (17 years, 15 days ago)

It is a guitar tablature program, but it also can represent the music like standard sheet music. The only reason it is on two different print-outs is because each hand was tabluated as a different track. :grin:

I've been working on the first bar and into the second bar. I'm taking it slow and solidifying it and ensuring I have it perfected before speeding it up or moving it on. :wink:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#6685513 - 03/18/07 10:35 PM (17 years, 15 days ago)

Word up. Precision can rarely be overrated. I think you'd have an easier time if the two clefs were aligned right on top of each other, on the same staff. That way, it's easier to tell what note you are supposed to be playing with your right hand when your left hand is sounding the third beat of a C chord for instance.

Edited by Viveka (03/18/07 10:38 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder