Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCosmicFunGuy
ॐconsciousnessॐ
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ∞
michigan snow hike.... interesting find....
    #6661873 - 03/12/07 03:47 PM (17 years, 20 days ago)

I tried to id it myself, but due to my lack of experience i can only guess... but i want to say bulgaria inquinans (poor man's licorice).

It was found alone on top of the snow amidst oaks and briars on a rabbit trail. its kinda clearish brown and very gelatinous. theres a hole on what i assume to be the underside that looks like it may have had a stem or possible is/was used to disperse spores. it's about 1"x1"x1/2" in size. kinda brainy looking. heres the pics....

the top

the bottom

if anyone can me id this i'd appreciate it...

thanks...

ticket

--------------------

♫ ♪ In the garden of many fields, there is no me or you. There is no right or wrong. There is no up or down. There is no black or white. Everyone is the plow man. Everyone is the seed. Everyone harvests and everyone yields. In the garden of many fields, everyone is one with one love and one love is one with everyone. ♪ ♫
lyrics from: Transglobal Underground - Eyeway Souljah (from Psychic Karaoke)

Edited by Ganymede (03/12/07 05:40 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBIGROM
Male User Gallery

Re: michigan snow hike.... interesting find.... [Re: CosmicFunGuy]
    #6661961 - 03/12/07 04:06 PM (17 years, 20 days ago)

it looks like a fuckin raisin......sorry i have no clue

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

OfflineThe_Appalachain
Major Tom
Male User Gallery

Loc: mid NC
Re: michigan snow hike.... interesting find.... [Re: BIGROM]
    #6662628 - 03/12/07 07:24 PM (17 years, 20 days ago)

it looks to me like Auricularia Polytricha.

--------------------
I'm floating in a most peculiar way... and the stars look very different today --David Bowie

OfflineCosmicFunGuy
ॐconsciousnessॐ
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: michigan snow hike.... interesting find.... [Re: The_Appalachain]
    #6662877 - 03/12/07 08:48 PM (17 years, 20 days ago)

I don't think so, i may be wrong.. mine has a hollow body to it and does not appear to me much like an auricularia. when you hold it it wiggles like a jello jiggler...

--------------------

♫ ♪ In the garden of many fields, there is no me or you. There is no right or wrong. There is no up or down. There is no black or white. Everyone is the plow man. Everyone is the seed. Everyone harvests and everyone yields. In the garden of many fields, everyone is one with one love and one love is one with everyone. ♪ ♫

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
    #6663393 - 03/12/07 11:23 PM (17 years, 20 days ago)

Is it wet and slimy on the outside? I remember finding something like that, it was glistening, and when I tried to pick it, my fingers slipped off, covered in a purple coloured residue.

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #6663407 - 03/12/07 11:32 PM (17 years, 20 days ago)

My first thought is something close to Tremella mesenterica or possibly the similar Dacrymyces palmatus. They are Jelly Fungi and grow from wood. Your specimen probably came loose (possibly knocked loose or dropped by a squirrel) from one of the oaks.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlineyourgodkillsme
Stranger
Male

Loc: Tennessee
Re: michigan snow hike.... interesting find.... [Re: ToxicMan]
    #6663411 - 03/12/07 11:36 PM (17 years, 20 days ago)

no offense but it looks like my bubby hole..

--------------------
"May my god have Mercy"

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: michigan snow hike.... interesting find.... [Re: yourgodkillsme]
    #6663462 - 03/13/07 12:04 AM (17 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

yourgodkillsme said:
no offense but it looks like my bubby hole..

None taken,  you're the one with the "bubby hole".  :lol:

--------------------

Offlineshroomsynergy
Fungi Freak
Male

Loc: Andromeda
Re: michigan snow hike.... interesting find.... [Re: BIGROM]
    #6663591 - 03/13/07 01:18 AM (17 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

BIGROM said:
it looks like a fuckin raisin......sorry i have no clue

LMAO :adam1975:

--------------------

OfflineCosmicFunGuy
ॐconsciousnessॐ
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6663601 - 03/13/07 01:22 AM (17 years, 20 days ago)

It is slimy, I have it in a jar in the fridge to investigate further tomorrow. I looked at it tonight and it is still slimy so it was not moisture from being in the melting snow. It does not stain my fingers any color however.

At first, reading the description in Mushrooms Demystified, tremella mesenterica it sounds like a perfect description. However, because of the common name listed, witch's butter, I'm inclined to think twice. The reason i think twice is i had another ID last summer when i was posting alot in this forum under my old name..

the ID was for the following picture...

It was then ID'd by a reliable person in this forum (i could look back for the actual ID request, although i don't think it's needed). It was IDed as witches butter. with my only guide I had then, which was the 1973 all color book of mushrooms in which the picture for tremella mesenterica looked like:

I then assumed that this first ID was in fact a witch's butter as the pictures did resemble each other and the description seemed to fit.

The description from the all color book reads:

"Tremella mesenterica This crumpled, orange-yellow gelatinous fungus belongs to the same group as the edible jew's ear. It grows on dead trunks or branches of decidious trees, especially in late autumn. at first it is rather soft and but with age it dries and hardens and becomes much darker in color It is sometimes called witches' butter and this name is also used fpr another somewhat similar fungus, exidia glandulosa, which is dark brown or black in color and grow principally on oak. A third species, tremella foliacea, which is pinkish-brown or slightly violet, prefers the stumps of pine trees."

"at first it is rather soft and but with age it dries and hardens and becomes much darker in color"

While my newer discovery has turned much darker, it is very far from hardened or begining to, and the first fresher yellow speciman that was id'd as witches butter from late autumn on a dead log was much harder than the newer one is although it too was gelationous. my newer one may have felt so gelatinous because of all the thawing snow though.

so now i turn to back to the decription of t. mesenterica in Mushroom's demystified

(sorry i got lazy and it's late, but this really fascinates me.)

I looked up some the other similar species, but brown witches butter (tremella foliacea) is the only other one which the description matches well, but again i believe I've found this before(have dug through my photo archives on computer and history with no luck finding the photo, I must've used my limit that day so I used imageshack or something instead to host the pic)... anyways that was nothing like this...

I plan to take pictures of a cross section of it as well as try to find more, hopefully on a tree... ever since my first day in this forum i've had the mushroom hunting bug, doesnt matter what kind of mushrooms i love them all... winter has really sucked and i've pretty well gone into hibernation/my brain/exploration which explains my absence form the shroomery for a few months, but now things are thawing and i'm getting out and into shape for a long season of hiking and mushroom hunting.... so you can expect a lot more interesting finds this season from me from now before it even starts til the very end. I hope somebody has learned something new form reading this post, i know i learned a lot reading this stuff, which is why i shared it...

still not entirely convinced it a witch's butter...

more tomorrow...happy shrooming
ticket

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #6665218 - 03/13/07 03:39 PM (17 years, 19 days ago)

Note that the hardening of Witches Butter occurs when it dries. Then it becomes hard like a piece of bone. You might try drying out your specimen to see if that happens.

If you look in Mushrooms Demystified there is a color photo of Tremella foliacea, and you will find that your specimen doesn't look much like it. You're doing things the right way, though. Read the description *first*, then verify with the photo. Too many people look at the photos first and we get some pretty wild ID attempts that way.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineCosmicFunGuy
ॐconsciousnessॐ
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6665558 - 03/13/07 05:07 PM (17 years, 19 days ago)

Well i question tremella mesenterica, because of the shape and texture of the topside, rather than its lack of hardening. the top side it like one big circle bent in and folded over itself many different ways kinda in a fashion similar to he skin on a prune. It is very very smooth and slimy. The underside is slightly textured as you can see in the second two photos, the first one doesnt do the topside justice, but the other two do are good pictures of the underside.

I did not believe it to be brown witches butter (t. foliacea), i was mearly pointing out while the description fits, it looks nothing like the specimens i've found in the past....

i cut it in half today after 5 hours of searching for a new specimen form the surrounding woods with no luck although i plan to return again tomorrow for more searching. here is the cross section pic:

sorry it's so blurry had a hard time with lighting and focus...

I have half of it out drying right now half still in the jar in the fridge. i dunno, but with witches butter its kinda like what happens with brown witches butter, the description fits, but the pictures don't i've looked at many pictures online and in guides and see nothing that really matches this nor comes close even if it were brown, although the shape may have changed as an effect of thawing snow and getting waterlogged....

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures