Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblePoC
Relax
Male User Gallery

Rye Bugs
    #6658820 - 03/11/07 04:29 PM (17 years, 12 days ago)

So the past couple days there have been little moth type bugs flying around my apartment. I couldn't kill one one day so I just let it go. Yesterday I killed two and thought maybe the one had spawned more offspring...no biggie. Today I killed three and then chased one up into my cupboard where I found another one. This is the same cupboard that I keep some of my mycology supplies and it had about 10lbs of rye grain sitting there.

After killing the moths I was after, I went and looked at the rye bags and sure enough there were a few holes in the bag and on the outside of the bag what appeared to be little pieces of rye grain. The only thing was that these little things were like larva cacooned up in a tiny coat of silkiness and when squished, spilled guts out. I am furious that I was so stupid as to let this happen and for now I have to leave but I double bagged my rye.

Tonight I'm buying a case of quart jars and soaking all the rye I have left and tossing what is remaining. Does anyone else have experience with these rye-looking winged moth things? I'm assuming that when I soak them, the guys that haven't hatched yet into fully flying creatures will all drown and I know when I PC they'll definitely be kaput. From now on I'm only buying as much rye as I need unless someone has a good way to store them without hatching these annoying pests. It seems that while I was incubating my jars, I was also unintentionally incubating dozens of creatures.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Rye Bugs [Re: PoC]
    #6658921 - 03/11/07 05:01 PM (17 years, 12 days ago)

I had some dried reishi that hatched out a few thousand of the bastards over the winter. We're still killing them..lol About all you can do is get some fresh rye. They're a seasonal thing, so once they finish hatching out, they're done. Get rid of anything that is breeding them, and that includes your bag of grain. Go get a fresh one.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisiblePoC
Relax
Male User Gallery

Re: Rye Bugs [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6659515 - 03/11/07 07:56 PM (17 years, 12 days ago)

Yeah that sounds reasonable. Like I say I'm just going to soak all the grain I can tonight in quart mason jars and then toss the rest of the grains. At $0.59/lb or so at Whole Foods it's not a huge loss. Just f'ing annoying. That's terrible that they hatched out of your dried reishi, though. I guess I'm fortunate I live in such a small apartment and noticed them pretty quick before it got out of hand. Anyhow, off to the grocery to get some jars.

--------------------

InvisiblePoC
Relax
Male User Gallery

Re: Rye Bugs [Re: PoC]
    #6659839 - 03/11/07 09:42 PM (17 years, 11 days ago)

Wee 9 quart jars full later all those bugs should be drowning.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Injection Grain Bag