Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
Increasing flexibility
    #6621240 - 02/28/07 04:51 PM (17 years, 23 days ago)

I've been wondering about how to increase my flexibility because I'm about as flexible as a concrete pillar. I have been doing martial arts practice for the last year, but my flexibility has not increased, which frustrates me. Not only that, but it limits me in terms of how high I can kick.
There are stretching warm ups at the beginning of my martial arts class but I still can't properly do most of them, even after a year.
I can't even touch my toes.

I've looked online for exercises, but haven't really found much that looks helpful and the only thing that looked helpful required buying a book (Elastic Steel).

Does anyone have/know good exercises to increase my flexibility that is relevant to martial arts?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFollowTheMusic
Stranger
Re: Increasing flexibility [Re: Sheepish]
    #6622744 - 02/28/07 11:48 PM (17 years, 22 days ago)

Offlineyounikrawn
Stranger
Female User Gallery

Loc: Corvallis, OR
    #6622769 - 02/28/07 11:58 PM (17 years, 22 days ago)

When you stretch are your muscles tensed? If so relax them. See if that helps a little. You also might want to involve your breathing in the stretch. Exhale when you begin the stretch, inhale, and every time you exhale try to push the stretch a little further.

--------------------
Don't dream it;be it
===================================

Offlinesadspacemonkey
!universe!
Female User Gallery

Re: Increasing flexibility [Re: FollowTheMusic]
    #6622796 - 03/01/07 12:06 AM (17 years, 22 days ago)

I'm not sure about stretches that directly relate to martial arts but...I know when I was taking ballet classes I became SUPER flexible.

It also helps if you warm up a bit before you stretch. Like maybe a few minutes cardio and then try and touch your toes.

--------------------

"I can't be told by anyone how to live. If I said to the minister 'Move from your home' he would think I was mad." Bushman : Botswana

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #6624093 - 03/01/07 11:18 AM (17 years, 22 days ago)

Yoga is the answer for you.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
Re: Increasing flexibility [Re: younikrawn]
    #6625061 - 03/01/07 04:38 PM (17 years, 22 days ago)

I try to be relaxed when doing certain stretches, but my body hates it. Trying to breathe calmly while forcing my body to bend forward with legs spread apart on the ground is difficult for me. When I try to breathe slowly in and out, my breath is all raggardy and not smooth.

We do a small cardio work out before starting the stretches. We first do 20 jumps in the air (both knees up past our waist), then do 20 180 jump and turns, then 20 360 turns. To finish off we lift one leg up and do 180 turns using our hips while holding that leg up, 20 each leg, then run on the spot for a minute, kick out on the spot then a quick 30 second burst of frantic on the toes running.

I'll check that link out about side splits (which is kind of the thing I'm looking for).

As for yoga, would it actually help someone who's inflexible? I can just see myself TRYING to do yoga and not being able to put my body in some of the positions.

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: Increasing flexibility [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #6625429 - 03/01/07 06:14 PM (17 years, 22 days ago)

Yeah I could touch my toes after 4 days and Yoga. I'd recommend that big time.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Offlineyounikrawn
Stranger
Female User Gallery

Loc: Corvallis, OR
    #6626706 - 03/02/07 12:26 AM (17 years, 21 days ago)

The being relaxed part is key. You don't have to push yourself hard... just until you feel the stretch. Then on your exhale push a little further. Inhale and consciously relax your muscles. Keep this cycle for all of your stretches. I learned this technique in my yoga classes, and in 5 or six classes went from not being able to reach my ankles to knuckles on the floor. So just remember to relax!

One thing my yoga instructor keeps telling our class is to find comfort in the stretch. It sound hard and the first few times you try it will be difficult, but relax your body and your breath.

And always respect your body. If the stretch hurts or doesn't feel like a "good" burning, stop and start over.

--------------------
Don't dream it;be it
===================================

InvisibleCracka_X
Spiritual Dirt Worshipper
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Swamp
    #6627229 - 03/02/07 07:17 AM (17 years, 21 days ago)

look up PNF --> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=PNF

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/pnfstretching.html

I don't know why you're not flexible yet if you've been doing martial arts for the time you've said. I feel like everything in martial arts is a type of dynamic stretch that increases the joint's/ligament's flexibility.

When I get home I'll scan my stretch routine from my old coach. It pretty good in the sense that if you go through the series, in order, your bones/joints will crack back into alignment.. action-reaction with the muscles and bones associated. It's kinda long but works well.

PNF is easier but you're gonna have to be creative in ways to incorporate it.

--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
For water benefits all things
and goes against none of them
It provides for all people
and even cleanses those places
a man is loath to go
In this way it is just like Tao        ~Daodejing

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #6627282 - 03/02/07 07:56 AM (17 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

Sheepish said:
As for yoga, would it actually help someone who's inflexible? I can just see myself TRYING to do yoga and not being able to put my body in some of the positions.

Yes!

You are only supposed to stretch until you feel an even stretch.  Everybody adjusts their form to their own physical limitations.  It will help.  Start with the easier postures, and only stretch as far as is comfortable for you.

It will also help with your breathing.  :thumbup:

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order