Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleHSIHd
ProfessionalHamburgler
Male

Loc: IOWA
Recommend a good firewall
    #6597922 - 02/22/07 03:53 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I am currently using McAfee and IMO it blows. It's constantly freezing my computer and makes it run slow as shit. Which firewalls do you guys use? Prefereably the free kind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejdirty
Is this real?
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: S.W. Louisiana
Re: Recommend a good firewall [Re: HSIHd]
    #6597982 - 02/22/07 04:04 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Well, infact your using the best, IMO. If your computer is constantly crashing, then you prolly need to look in another direction, maybe a registry clean, defrag or other malware removal.

Norton is a resource hog beyond belief, and others quite frankly, dont have a multi-million dollar company behind them.

Go to PCPitstop.com and run there full tests. It's a quick web based analysis, and I would recommend paying attention to the list of running programs on your machine.

McAfee has proven themselves reliable, and their firewall inspects all traffic, inbound and outbound, unlike Windows firewall.

--------------------

I HATE people who take drugs.
Like cops, DEA agents and custom officials

Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
Loc: TEXAS
    #6598111 - 02/22/07 04:26 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

i recommend AVG Free, been running it for years and never had problems with computer viruses...and i dont only serf the safest sites either...It is great on resources, works well, and has an active shield, email scanner, and full system scanner, all which work great. It also updates daily instead of weekly, did i mention free.

i also recommend, Spybot S & D, Adaware SE free edition, CCleaner...

peace

edit: i just read the title, you said firewall, d'oh, anyways, get a good router or set up a separate machine out of old parts and install a firewall on there, software port blockers suck

Edited by supra (02/22/07 04:27 PM)

InvisibleBoom
just a tester
Male
Loc: Cypress Creek
    #6598229 - 02/22/07 04:46 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Pfsense seems cool. You need to have it running (ideally) on a separate computer though....or in VMware... sounds like a hassle, but it's supposed to be pretty damn good (open source as well)

Offlinetrent
Stranger
Re: Recommend a good firewall [Re: Boom]
    #6598790 - 02/22/07 06:25 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

zonealarm. it's free

OfflineCepheus
Balance
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the space between reality...
Re: Recommend a good firewall [Re: trent]
    #6598834 - 02/22/07 06:32 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

software firewalls are pointless anyway (unless your using them to filter packets - like iptables or something)

If you're sitting behind a router a software firewall is just a waste of space and cpu cycles.

There are so many ways for an intruder to bypass a software firewall such as mcaffee or zonealarm its rediculous.

All you really need is a decent Antivirus program, and for that I recommend the industry standard - nod32. They have the fastest and highest detection rates. McAffee, Norton, avg etc are all shit in the scope of things.

http://www.nod32.com/

--------------------
"I only ever hope to reach equilibrium, in Nature's matrix, in line with the meridian" ~ Jehst

:sun: "...and I know that I have to keep breathing, as tomorrow the sun will rise, who knows what the tide will bring?" :sun:

Free Spore Ring Europe
Send any spare spore prints you might have and help the distribution :grin:

Open Source. Freedom.  GNU/Linux

Addicting is not a word.

InvisibleHSIHd
ProfessionalHamburgler
Male

Loc: IOWA
Re: Recommend a good firewall [Re: Cepheus]
    #6599211 - 02/22/07 07:38 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Would the fact that I have AVG running as well as McAfee be the cause of these hang ups?

Offlinegregorio
Too Damn Old
Male

Loc: Classified
Re: Recommend a good firewall [Re: jdirty]
    #6600411 - 02/23/07 12:35 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

jdirty said:
Well, infact your using the best, IMO.

That's the first time that I ever heard that, but I'm glad to hear it. I'm not the most computer knowledgeable person around but all I hear from those who are is how worthless McAfee is. Ive been using McAfee from day one and it's worked great for me.

:thumbup:

Offlinejdirty
Is this real?
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: S.W. Louisiana
Re: Recommend a good firewall [Re: gregorio]
    #6600851 - 02/23/07 03:45 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I'm a firm believer in mcafee simply because I have had problem free computing since I started using mcafee 3 years ago. And to hear that mcafee is crap is simply a matter of uninformed opinion. mcafee is infact good software, is light on resources (compared to equal competition) and I've used other software such as AVG, Norton, Panda and Computer Associates, and though I was impressed with individual features of each program, mcafee is the total package to invest in.

And even behind a router, mcafee firewall still blocks numerous access attempts daily, not deliberate hack attempts, but multiple trojan and virus infected PC's that are constantly PINGing IP addresses looking for open ports. And I'm behind 2 NAT's. (IPoS internet protocol over satellite), my satellite modem has a built in NAT/router, and it connects to a router, and goes through a proxy. so without my host name or IP address, your not connecting to any PC on my network.

And some people seem to miss a valuable feature of mcafee firewall, it's ability to screen not only incoming packets, but outgoing packets also. that feature is incase you do have a virus or trojan or other malware, outgoing packet scanning keeps those programs and malware from connecting to host/client systems.

If your looking for the fundamental basics, then grab a free firewall and antivirus, but if you want proven reliability, timely (DAILY) virus definition updates, and a company with MILLIONS to spend on making your PC secure and clean, then get mcafee.

--------------------

I HATE people who take drugs.
Like cops, DEA agents and custom officials

Jump to top Pages: 1