Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineadamj
Superhero
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, CAN
Pro Tools
    #6578678 - 02/17/07 03:02 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Anyone here work with Pro Tools? I'm looking to upgrade my home studio and was possibly looking at saving up for a Digi002...

but then I'm stuck between doing that or just using that money towards an interface/micpre, compressor, and maybe Cubase or something new to learn.

I'm in a college course that deals strictly with Pro Tools, but fuck you gotta buy the hardware + software and there's no guarantee it'll be comptaible with my PC..

Pro Tools yay? nay?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Pro Tools [Re: adamj]
    #6580170 - 02/18/07 12:07 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

FYI, there is more money in teaching recording than there is in actual recording.

InvisibleCloud9
I don't feel, and it feels great
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: between here and there
    #6580512 - 02/18/07 04:35 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

you make good music, what are you currently using?

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

Loc: shambhala
Re: Pro Tools [Re: Cloud9]
    #6580583 - 02/18/07 05:27 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I use Cubase SX and it kicks bottom.

--------------------
let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love

InvisibleColonel Kurtz Ph.D
What What?
Male User Gallery
Loc: Shadow Moses
    #6580742 - 02/18/07 07:59 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Protools is bullshit. I'd go for cubase.

--------------------
:whatwhat:

There's no better way to rock out than with your cock out!!

Offlineadamj
Superhero
Male User Gallery

Re: Pro Tools [Re: mr_kite]
    #6580836 - 02/18/07 09:03 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I'm currently using Adobe Audition for software, line6 toneport ux2 as an interface, and just a couple of mics. pretty shabby but gets the job done :laugh:

As for recording, I'm heading down the independent musician road, so I'll be using my home studio not recording other people but recording and selling my music. Thus, I was high quality music to sell :laugh:

OfflineToddo
Stranger
Male

#6581064 - 02/18/07 11:19 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

All the major DAW's do the same thing at their core. (some slightly better at one thing then another..) Its really just about what you learn on and get comfortable with. I use cubase sx3. Its really easy to get the hang of if you already know a decent bit of audio terms. If your going to pay for it.. I would say get the free version first. I forget what its called..something like Cubase LE. Its a Lite version with very basic functions but the same layout as sx3. Once you become a little more familiar and if you like it, upgrade. Good luck!

--------------------
Shroomery Composition Contest

Offlineadamj
Superhero
Male User Gallery

Re: Pro Tools [Re: Colonel Kurtz Ph.D]
    #6582384 - 02/18/07 05:42 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Colonel Kurtz Ph.D said:

why is pro tools bullshit?

InvisibleMiddlemanM

#6582738 - 02/18/07 07:31 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

ProTools is overpriced and overrated because of yet another corporate conspiracy.

If you want to spend more time creating than trouble shooting, GET A MAC.
G4s are super cheap on ebay...

I use a MOTU 828 mkII on a PowerMac G4 Mirror with Digital Performer 4.6,
It's the best sounding, easiest to use and most trouble-free rig for around a grand, imo.

Cubase = Lower quality, less features, slow processing, most inexpensive, easiest to use.
Logic = High quality, most features, fastest processing, very awkward GUI, imo.
ProTools LE = Higher quality, less features, fast processing, code written by reptiles.
Digital Performer = Highest quality, more features, faster processing, very intuitive GUI.

ProTools_HD kicks all their asses but it certainly isn't worth $10,000-$50,000.

The only reason to work with ProTools LE is if you plan on becoming an audio engineer.

(not all it's cracked up to be, imo.)

What What?
Male User Gallery
    #6584110 - 02/19/07 04:16 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

adamj said:
Quote:

Colonel Kurtz Ph.D said:

why is pro tools bullshit?

There's is nothing it can do than others can't, meaning it's overhiped and incredibly overpriced. I'm recording my album in cubase and with a good collection of VSTs it goes a longer way than protools for me.

I only use protools at work, and I despise it.

--------------------

InvisiblePoC
Relax
Male User Gallery

#6584282 - 02/19/07 05:40 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

So many people are so bitter about protools but really it's a great program. True you can use cubase or logic or whatever you'd like. If you're strapped for cash maybe a motu 828MKII would be a good investment and you can buy or even just pirate cubase but I wouldn't discourage you from getting protools. Really it is a very easy program to use and works just fine. The whole mac vs PC thing is debatable really and totally dependent on your setup and how you treat your computer.

Personally I want a 002 rack unit but I too work with protools all the time and go back and forth between different machines with files, most which have protools installed. Just my 2 cents since I see nothing here but people ragging on protools...some from people who seem to know something and some from people just wanting to bitch.

--------------------

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Pro Tools [Re: Toddo]
    #6585498 - 02/19/07 02:20 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Toddo said:
All the major DAW's do the same thing at their core. (some slightly better at one thing then another..) Its really just about what you learn on and get comfortable with. I use cubase sx3. Its really easy to get the hang of if you already know a decent bit of audio terms. If your going to pay for it.. I would say get the free version first. I forget what its called..something like Cubase LE. Its a Lite version with very basic functions but the same layout as sx3. Once you become a little more familiar and if you like it, upgrade. Good luck!

this is the best statement made on this thread so far. I enjoy pro-tools more because it is what I learned on, but I have used cubase, reason and DP and still liked pro-tools the best.
DP is way better for anything MIDI, but pro-tools is by far the best for wave control- meaning you can zoom all the way in and shape the sine-waves rarefaction and compression if you want.

Granted I havent touched any of these for a few years, so this all may not be true now.

Offlineadamj
Superhero
Male User Gallery

Re: Pro Tools [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #6591306 - 02/20/07 09:05 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I think I'm going to go Pro Tools... because with the Digi002 acting as almost a second computer, I can run a shitload more tracks + effects realtime without latency/playback issues. I'm going to need more tracks in the future... Plus I'm sure I will be dealing with other studios/producers in my future and Pro Tools is the industry standard...

InvisibleMiddlemanM

#6598960 - 02/22/07 06:53 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

It sounds like your quoting a brochure, there is no "industry standard" many studios use many different platforms.

You aren't able to record more tracks w/ the 002 and it does have issues with latency when monitoring real time plug-ins.

Actually PT_LE and the 002 seriously limits the number of playback and record tracks, compared to the other DAWs.

I'm just saying M-box and 002 blows, pro tools is only used in engineering schools and in DYING overpriced overrated recording studios.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Pro Tools [Re: Middleman]
    #6600512 - 02/23/07 01:05 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

recording studios will never die. Granted a paradigm shift is occuring right now, but fucksticks with their "home studios" will never fully replace professional tracking, mixing and mastering as well as knowledgable engineers.

Studios that made their money from demo's are dying out, because even a kid in his room with an 002 can make something with enough clarity to be handed over to labels or posted on Myspace.... but 95% of albums which go gold and above will all need the resources of a professional recording studio.

also, everything you talked about above is limited by your computing power, and not the platform/DAW.

InvisibleMiddlemanM

#6600620 - 02/23/07 01:40 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I don't know why I try to share information here.

Like it says here PT_LE is limited to 32 tracks regardless of computing power. Logic and DP are unlimited.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Pro Tools [Re: Middleman]
    #6600680 - 02/23/07 02:03 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

didnt know that about the 00's, but couldnt any latency issues be eliminated with a proper masterclock in conjunction with good A/D converters?

InvisibleMiddlemanM

#6600858 - 02/23/07 03:51 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Not when using plug-ins, I haven't found a way around it on any system...

What What?
Male User Gallery
    #6601264 - 02/23/07 08:54 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

psilocyberin said:
Studios that made their money from demo's are dying out, because even a kid in his room with an 002 can make something with enough clarity to be handed over to labels or posted on Myspace.... but 95% of albums which go gold and above will all need the resources of a professional recording studio.

also, everything you talked about above is limited by your computing power, and not the platform/DAW.

You should really read more about the recording industry and computer based recording.

A GOOD home studio can put out more than enough quality for 95% of pop/rock recordings if you know how to use your resources, EXCEPT if you really want to push the compression on the record, then you'd need some good mastering studio. Eq, stereo imaging etc should be done at mixing and not mastering, and can be done in any good home studio.

Also, DAW limitations ARE important, how can you dissmiss the importance of the system controlling your hardware? You can't use your hard to full potential with the wrong soft, and viceversa..

BTW, those albums that go gold you were talking about usually don't get there because they're recorded on a professional studio, but because they're promoted by professional publishers and advertisers.
Nowadays image is way more important than music in pop music :shrug:

--------------------

Offlineskydog
Coffee & Blunts
Male User Gallery

#6601299 - 02/23/07 09:11 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I've just started recording using one of these:

It only has one input, so I have to record each track seperately.

Anyway, I'm using CubaseSX3 with the pedal, and while I'm no authority on recording software, I can say that this is a very nice piece of software for home recording. Has alot of nice features and is easy as hell to use. I've been recording stuff for about 2 weeks with it, and I haven't found anything yet that it won't do, and I haven't even added any plug-ins.

--------------------
:yesnod::thumbup:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]