Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleKilroyMilosevik
Swiss Ego
 User Gallery

Loc: Northwest of Nowhere
Recommendation for College Folks
    #6574413 - 02/16/07 11:55 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

For all those who are going to school currently, I highly recommend that you enroll yourself in an intro to psychology class, whether you're a psych major or not. This class has opened my eyes a lot about how the ego works, and helped me apply that to psychadelic experiences. It was mind blowing what I learned about myself in that short semester. It also showed me how to control my trips, to an extent, and helps me to let my ego go when it is time for it to die. I love it!

Hopefully, you all are aware that you are going to learn virtually nothing that you didn't know already about how psychadelics affect the mind, it's more of an applyable knowledge.

--------------------
-The door.
-The door is closed.
-Why is the door closed?
        *Gasps*
-Why DOES the door close!?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCracka_X
Spiritual Dirt Worshipper
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Swamp
Re: Recommendation for College Folks [Re: KilroyMilosevik]
    #6574574 - 02/16/07 12:36 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Ehh... I'd say the best classes I've ever taken in college so far are Anthropology, history(in general) and biology. Psychology is cool but I didn't have a great professor in my psych class... I was interested in psych before I took it here. Now, if you can, get more specialized and take Abnormal Psych or Behaviorial Psych. Those are fucking amazing classes. Intro Psych is general and very boring that just scratches the surface on its many fields.

--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
For water benefits all things
and goes against none of them
It provides for all people
and even cleanses those places
a man is loath to go
In this way it is just like Tao        ~Daodejing

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
    #6574735 - 02/16/07 01:40 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

It can open your eyes and then leaves you at half way. My advice - don't count on everything psychology states. Try and find a way to relate it to your own life and don't forget that the best way to know how one's mind works is by getting to know yourself. And that you can do entirely alone.
I'm studying psychology and I really hoped it to be more then it is so it 's kind of disappointing to me to see that most of the things we do there are just old and very limited bullshit.

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

InvisibleKilroyMilosevik
Swiss Ego
 User Gallery

Re: Recommendation for College Folks [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #6574765 - 02/16/07 01:51 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Very true that intro leaves ya hangin, thats why I moved on to social psych. As far as biology and anthropology goes... Agreed! those classes are extremely interesting also. As far as advanced psych classes go, I'm not to interested in behavioral extremes, because most of us don't experience or observe these kind of things. I was basically saying that if you want a little more info on ego's and schemas and such, but don't want to revolve your life around it, this is a good class.

MushroomTrip, I hear ya. You might have gotten the wrong impression by how i stated the post. I don't use that class as a crutch for explainations or anything. It just showed me a little more about myself pertaining to the ego aspect: stereotyping, schemas, etc. and how it affects my behavior. I don't pick out things directly from the class, but like I said, its applyable knowledge. By no means should you stick to what the professor is lecturing on. Know yourself... exactly as you said

--------------------
-The door.
-The door is closed.
-Why is the door closed?
        *Gasps*

InvisibleKilroyMilosevik
Swiss Ego
 User Gallery

#6574769 - 02/16/07 01:54 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

thanks for some input responses! this is what I was looking for, because I think i was sound a little too preachy at the moment. Someone cut my legs out from under me please... Sock me off my high horse for a minute, I need it

--------------------
-The door.
-The door is closed.
-Why is the door closed?
        *Gasps*

Offlineaelephant
Stranger
Male

#6574831 - 02/16/07 02:19 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I liked the psychology class I took, but I think that it really depends on the approach of the prof. My girlfriend hated her psychology class because the prof just highlighted all of the insecurities and psychological problems that people have but said nothing about how to deal with them. Sadistic bitch! My girl was depressed for quite a while after because she's a very empathetic person.

Right now I'm excited about a class I'm going to take called "The Nature of Scientific Truth"... should be good.

--------------------
As we live a life of ease,
Everyone of us has all we need
Sky of blue and Sea of Green
In our Yellow Submarine

InvisibleKilroyMilosevik
Swiss Ego
 User Gallery

Re: Recommendation for College Folks [Re: aelephant]
    #6574839 - 02/16/07 02:23 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

That class does sound pretty interesting... if this thread is still around when you start attending it, keep me updated please. I want to hear what it's about.

You're definitely right about the cirriculum of the professor having an enormous impact on what you get out of the class. Fortunately, my psycho professor was a really cool guy and I still talk to him once in a while even though I don't have any classes with him anymore

--------------------
-The door.
-The door is closed.
-Why is the door closed?
        *Gasps*

Offlinevigilant_mind
unfazed
Male User Gallery

Loc: boco
    #6574898 - 02/16/07 02:43 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I took an Introductory Psychology course at my local community college this past fall. It was sweet. It's amazing how much a general understanding of psychology can change the way you view and interpret things.

I'm a senior in high school and I plan on doing a double major in psychology and philosophy next year in college.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #6575624 - 02/16/07 06:36 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I might venture to say that classic psychology as taught in universities has to be pushed all the way to Ph.D. or Psy.D. degrees in order to be marketable, for those of you pursuing psychology as a career. It can be lucrative in the area of psychological testing, but do not expect such a career to touch upon transpersonal, transcendental things except insofar as you develop those aspects of yourself. The exploration of what the late, great Abraham Maslow called "The Further Reaches of Human Nature" might be found in the new field of 'Consciousness,' but I can imagine that finding a niche in this field would be quite difficult.

I was so discouraged in my search for employment, I almost applied for work at The Home Depot. It would've meant lying about what I did for 10 years in universities and I would not have been very happy (I spent many summers working in my Dad's small hardware store).

I am not writing this to discourage anyone. Education is for me what it was for Plato - to be used in the acquisition of "The Good," and in how that quest creates a particular type of person - a philosopher. In other words, don't neglect the marketability of your education (as I repeatedly did), but do not think that education is soley or even mostly to be used in the service of first chakra survival needs.

Peace.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #6575707 - 02/16/07 06:56 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

The coolest class I took was called "Psychology of Death and Dying," a field also known as thanatology.

--------------------

Offlinecellardoor
rider on the storm
Female User Gallery

Loc: +44° 58' N, -93° 15' W
Re: Recommendation for College Folks [Re: Silversoul]
    #6576020 - 02/16/07 08:18 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

i took an intro to psych class as well, and yea its cool, but if you want something that'll really boggle your mind, take a shitload of math and physics. LOVE MATH!!! i actually considered majoring in math, but i like biochemistry more:grin:

--------------------
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite."~William Blake

InvisibleKilroyMilosevik
Swiss Ego
 User Gallery

Re: Recommendation for College Folks [Re: cellardoor]
    #6576769 - 02/17/07 12:00 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I definitely see your point, Markos... but I'm definitely not a psych major, it's just been an interest of mine, and I don't mind at all to spend a little money on something that interests me. I'm a photoshop dork personally, therefore I'm an art major. I posted this thread to suggest that taking an intro to psych course (depending on your professors cirriculum) will provide a little more knowledge into the ego phenomena <--- By this I mean that I am a huge believer that one of the main aspects of tripping is to be robbed of your ego. After being through this simple intro course, I scratched the surface as to why ego's are important, and why maybe killing it for a few hours can shed new light on a behavior or cognition that would normally be really hard to break. Of course, the professor did not directly lecture on psychadelics and ego death, I just applied it to tripping and more importantly, myself. The class simply supplied a little more insight about myself, and more interestly my trip experiences.

This is all I was trying to say, but by all means, if you plan on being a psych major, do a lot of research on the huge array of fields and their career opportunities.

--------------------
-The door.
-The door is closed.
-Why is the door closed?
        *Gasps*

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Recommendation for College Folks [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #6577004 - 02/17/07 01:24 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Markos, did you find that in pursuing psychology, you had to compromise your philosophical/cult ideas?

A persons sanity seems to rest very much on social traditions, so is it possible to be true to your ideas on reality and also make a living? Im very interested in psychology, but almost completely from a philosophical basis. It just seems that this field (mabey because its so involved with the nature of reality) could easily conflict with it at the same time.

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Recommendation for College Folks [Re: daytripper23]
    #6577024 - 02/17/07 01:36 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

i dont know anything about actual jobs in psychology, but if the way to make money is based on making other people sane (happy?/productive?/numb?/ignorant?/addicted?), what do you do? give them the pills that make them right again?

--------------------
Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
  The frumious Bandersnatch!

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: Recommendation for College Folks [Re: daytripper23]
    #6577350 - 02/17/07 07:04 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Some psychologists are more averse to 'spiritual' matters than others. The chairman of the clinical psych department obviously couldn't stand me. He was a small-minded little man who constantly had to mention things like sky-diving, or language mastery to inflate his ego to his students. When a 20 page paper was due in December, I had mine finished and handed in in September. He held it for 3 months then gave me a 'C,' which is not good in grad school. I asked for a meeting. He said "You obviously know a great deal more about this subject than you wrote about [transpersonal psych], but I'm not going to change your grade." His name was Barry Smith and he was a major asshole.

On the other hand, my academic advisor turned out to have just returned from Zurich where he had become a Jungian analyst. He was the only Jungian analyst in Maryland at that point in time. He permitted me to write a non-statistical dissertation (an Historical Narrative form) which I did entitled: 'A Phenomenological Adaptation of the Tibetan Buddhist Doctrine of Psychic Centers to a Metatheoretical Hierarchy of Human Motivation' which paralleled the Tibetan Buddhist Chakra psychology with selected Western personality theorists, and which showed human development into the transpersonal realms. I have relied on this work for many of my posts here regarding the ascending and descending paths to 'the mountaintop' of peak experiences, and back down into the mundane world.

Had it not been for my advisor, Jacob Goering, it would have been much more difficult being forced out of the deeper areas of my psyche into 'more practical' dissertation topics (one was supposed to consider the long-term usefulness of one's dissertation). My 222 page book brought me 5 royalty sales, but never had any direct effect on my earning of money. It has been the backbone of my psychospiritual development however since I conceived the idea (adapted from Ram Dass) in 1978). Thus, I was able to stay connected to the deeper 'me.' However, when I left seminary to go to grad school, a fellow student who had just come from an undergrad psychology major told me that "There is a lot of darkness in psychology."

Now, I am fairly pulled together in my life, but Florida wouldn't license me as a psychologist and the Inter-Regional Society of Jungian Analysts wouldn't accept me into training - two of my professional goals. However, it seems that God writes the script, and things have turned out OK, despite my intellectual-ego-based desires. Psychology as a profession, is, after all, grounded in ego-processes, not the Transpersonal Self.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Recommendation for College Folks [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #6577451 - 02/17/07 08:31 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

some people get a lot of freedom in what they are allowed to write, but the discipline counts more than the content.

Being a student and making an effort to keep learning is the essence of being spiritual or being philosophical or politically correct.

we must keep studying and we need to do it especially when courses leave you hanging.

the only teachings that are cut and dried aer old wives tales, which are dank and musty bits of racist crap usually.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

OfflineIrdamage
Autobot

Loc: Canada
Re: Recommendation for College Folks [Re: redgreenvines]
    #6577769 - 02/17/07 10:34 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I love social sciences :laugh:. Humans are neat.

OfflineIrdamage
Autobot

Loc: Canada
Re: Recommendation for College Folks [Re: redgreenvines]
    #6577770 - 02/17/07 10:34 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I love social sciences :laugh:. Humans are neat.

InvisibleKilroyMilosevik
Swiss Ego
 User Gallery

Re: Recommendation for College Folks [Re: Irdamage]
    #6585121 - 02/19/07 12:37 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Me too! One of my favorite classes

--------------------
-The door.
-The door is closed.
-Why is the door closed?
        *Gasps*

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates