Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRato
Stranger
To Trip or Not to Trip
    #6568601 - 02/14/07 08:29 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I am greatly interested in trying a psychedelic drug, but my friends and family discourage me to touch them. Especially LSD. I constantly hear "Dude, those drugs can change your life forever" from my friends. I wouldn't want my brain to be permanently scared for the worst because I did something dumb when I was a kid. On top of that, I come from a family who has a history of mental health issues. My father suffers from a long list of mental disorders. Both my parents believe that I too have several possible mental issues. My curiosity is starting to get to me so, yet again, I need you guys to give me some feedback. To trip, or not to trip? That is the question :tongue:

Edited by Rato (02/15/07 08:07 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineoppression
potsmokeshroompopngunnut
 User Gallery

Loc: south of the mason dixion...
Re: To Trip or Not to Trip [Re: Rato]
    #6568645 - 02/14/07 08:38 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Tripping or not tripping is really a personal thing. Will it change your life? I dunno I think that depends on what kind of person you are to begin with.

--------------------
‘Our government is the potent, the omnipresent teacher. For good or ill, it teaches the whole people by its example.’"

Offlineozzyozzyozzy
Australian
 User Gallery

#6568650 - 02/14/07 08:38 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

People here will tell you 'research it thoroughly and make the decision with safety in mind', but I'm just going to go right ahead and say that your situation seems a lot riskier than most. Psychoactive drugs and mental illnesses are not to be mixed idly. You seem to have a lot of misconceptions about drugs and how they affect people ["Scarred for life"] but the family history of severe mental illness is a significant problem that could be catastrophically catalyzed [has kind of a nice ring to it, huh?] by drugs. Thus, as always, the decision is yours, and, following an EXTENDED period of time spent heavily researching both the drugs that interest you and your personal and familial mental problems, the question is:

What is more important, your continued assured well-being, stability and progression through life, or the potential well of knowledge and perception offered by even a foray into the world of psychedelic substances?

Offlinenewlife
Raging Anamorphist
Male

Loc: South of the Arctic
Re: To Trip or Not to Trip [Re: oppression]
    #6568673 - 02/14/07 08:42 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

If it wernt for the possible dissorders ordeal I would say to trip. Its an extremly worthwhile experience if you take the right precautions and keep an open mind. On one hand if the mental illnesses in you family arent too terribly bad you shouldnt worry too much about them, plus if you are meant to get them then your meant to get them, end of story. It might be worthwhile talking to your doctor about possible dissorders you might have, and what to do about them.

Offlinesirbojangles
h20

Loc: inside a transparent eyeb...
    #6568679 - 02/14/07 08:44 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

trip!...what do they know?...ive got hundreds of fucked up disorders and i still tripped on acid and 2ce. acid many times...and you know what?...not only has it helped me discover what is wrong...its help me improve...and it doesnt drag away from reality...it shoves me face first into the most real parts of my life......with a new illuminated perspective that makes everything, however dark, seem light.

OfflineWasteland
Elektromeister!
Male User Gallery

Loc: A pathetic small town in ...
    #6568682 - 02/14/07 08:45 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

From what I've seen and heard, psychadelic drugs do not combine well with mental illness.

So, sadly enough, the wonderful world of psychadelic drugs may not be for you.

--------------------
The Mad Shroomer said:
People are always promising the apocalypse. They never deliver. :frown:

Offlinesirbojangles
h20

Loc: inside a transparent eyeb...
Re: To Trip or Not to Trip [Re: Wasteland]
    #6568694 - 02/14/07 08:48 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

fuck these clowns

tripping and life both have pain. no escape. but life DOES NOT HAVE what tripping gives you.

Offlinenewlife
Raging Anamorphist
Male

Re: To Trip or Not to Trip [Re: sirbojangles]
    #6568734 - 02/14/07 08:58 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

sirbojangles said:
fuck these clowns

tripping and life both have pain. no escape. but life DOES NOT HAVE what tripping gives you.

True but tripping isnt a recreational sport, yes fun but not something needed to be taken for granted. Listen if your curiosity is really getting to you, talk to your doctor about the disorders in your family. Find out how serious they are, and how likely you are to recieve them. Then weight your options, and make the call you think is right(talk to a psychiatrist maybe and get their opinion too). Ultimatly the discission is yours. What ever you decide make sure you feel good about it. Trip with a friend for comfort. Psychdelics have a whole new world to offer you, but you wouldnt want to mess up your whole life with a very serious dissorder for a night of fun.

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uk / Philippines
Re: To Trip or Not to Trip [Re: sirbojangles]
    #6568745 - 02/14/07 09:00 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

its my opinion that if u have something wrong with your head to start,
then taking psychedelic substances isnt a great idea.

however... if u really feel the urge to trip, try a small dose to start.
if u go nuts, then u will know it was a bad idea and a really stupid thing to do :tongue:

--------------------
View My Gallery

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #6568768 - 02/14/07 09:07 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I have several "mental disorders," but what do those labels tell me about myself?  Nothing.  Only *I know* what is going on inside of me.  Anyone else who pretends to know about my own mind is presumptuous and ignorant as to my own nature.  In other words: don't let OTHER PEOPLE tell you about yourself.  How would they know, anyway?  Don't just take their word for it. 

That's what I keep in mind, anyway, and even with those "labels" attached to me, I trip safety, and often.  I love tripping, and it HAS changed my life for the better.  (specially mushrooms)

The best advice I can give is this:  Use tripping as a POSITIVE FORCE and it will be.  Make sure your intentions are in the right place.  And just remember:  Everything that you see/encounter on psychedelics is of your own unconscious mind.  Don't be afraid of yourself!  :heart:  Love yourself... :mushroom2:

Anyway, good luck in your decision, no matter what it is!  :stoned:

Offlinenewlife
Raging Anamorphist
Male

Re: To Trip or Not to Trip [Re: Dr. uarewotueat]
    #6568785 - 02/14/07 09:11 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

If you end up trying anything IMO Id say shrooms would be your safest bet.

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
Loc: Ohio
    #6568836 - 02/14/07 09:21 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

It's to my understanding that the only mental disorder that presents a real problem when "combined" with psychedelics is schizophrenia and disorders of that sort. Without knowing what mental illnesses you have, I can't say, and I'm also not a doctor.

Mental illness aside, it is a good idea to research it heavily, especially because it seems to me you have some misconceptions about drugs that should be broken, regardless if you decide to trip or not.

--------------------
!

Offlineyageman
already dead
 User Gallery

Re: To Trip or Not to Trip [Re: Dr. uarewotueat]
    #6568894 - 02/14/07 09:36 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

uarewotueat said:
its my opinion that if u have something wrong with your head to start,
then taking psychedelic substances isnt a great idea.

however... if u really feel the urge to trip, try a small dose to start.
if u go nuts, then u will know it was a bad idea and a really stupid thing to do :tongue:

I actually like that approach...........alot.
Its simple effective, and free of bullshit.

I have shizophrenia on both sides of my family.(the kind of mental illness that resembles the psychedelic experience and when coupled with hallucinogens is a FAR MORE slippery slope than depression or anxiety).

Id say you are getting alot of crappy and overly conscious and so-called "resposible" advise.

I have a weird and longwinded philosophy about this though I wont go very far into it..

Basically, dont be afraid.  If you feel like you can handle that which you have probably already read about, you probably can, atleast at a low dose.
  If you, like myself have schizophrenia on both sides of your family, you should be more careful.

Psychedelics are pretty forgiving at low doses, even for depressed, anxiety stricken and/or schizotypal folks.

If the experience is bad and has some negative lasting effects, then they really *might* not be right for you (atleast for the time being).
PSychedelics have almost infinite potential.  They *can* even help to almost totally cure most common so-called dissorders.  Its possible.

The thing is, this is a dead issue.  You cant know until your try it.  You very literally cant know the answer to your question.

I can say, that the fact that you are conscious of your own families genetic tendancies will only accentuate any negative symptoms.
Forget that shit and everybodies preconcieved notions about you.
  Psychedelics are not about pretty colors for most people.
  It twists your mind in all sorts of new found directions.  It layers your life and works with the whole.

Psychedelics can damage anyone mentaly.  Its a fact.  There is always that possibility.  It just depends on alot of factors.  One of those factors is your genetics.
  I really wouldnt be worried about trying a low dose of mushrooms, lsd, lsa, or mescaline.
  Unlike so many of the people here id suggest lsd, and next in line, mushrooms.
  If you dont feel you are up for second trip, you will know what to do.

You dont know, and neither does anyone else at this site know how well you will mesh with that state of mind. 
  It could be the best idea you ever had.  It could also be sort of hard on you, in which case you might not try it again.

My guess is that you will like it alot.  Atleast the first few times.

Start low.  Dont be one bit paranoid about it either, because you probably have no reason to be.

jewunit made another good point.

--------------------
[quote]Me_Roy said:
You moron. Material is material is material.  No 'thing' fixes any situation.  If anything were so simple we would be living in a much better world.[/quote] <-----the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life.
Thanks shroomery.

Edited by yageman (02/14/07 09:37 PM)

Offlinenewlife
Raging Anamorphist
Male

Re: To Trip or Not to Trip [Re: yageman]
    #6568963 - 02/14/07 09:56 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

^^Agreed. Ive read a lot about psychedelics trickering schizophrenia but not a lot about other disorders. Still research it a lot though and make sure your absolutly sure that you want to try them.

Edited by newlife (02/14/07 09:56 PM)

InvisibleFeanor
 User Gallery

Re: To Trip or Not to Trip [Re: yageman]
    #6568976 - 02/14/07 09:59 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Follow Yageman's advice.
Tripping can trigger some mental disorders that you have a gene for. Some people are resilient to these mental disorder related genes, and therefore the mental condition will never manifest itself within the person's lifetime. A traumatic experience can be an environmental issue that has the potential of awakening your mental disorder related genes. Tripping can fall into the traumatic experience category. When taking psychedelics, you're treading on a fine line. It's very difficult to predict whether or not you will receive a mental disorder from taking psychedelics. It's up in the air. If I were you, I'd go ahead and experiment a bit. Do it if you feel as if you are being called. Remember how powerful the psychological dimension of psychedelics are. If you go into a trip scared as to what will happen, the odds are very high that the trip will turn into a negative one. Go into your trip with an optimistic outlook, and you should be fine!

--------------------

May Terence McKenna Live Long

The DMT Chronicles

InvisibleMezcal
    #6568986 - 02/14/07 10:03 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

If you're looking for personal insight and a new perspective, and want to get your feet wet with psychedelics, I recommend trying MDMA. Make sure it's good quality and you have somebody experienced to administer it. Treat it like a fully-fledged psychedelic and you will find that there are doors in the mind that you will be amazed have never opened until that first moment!

MDMA is quite easy to handle and with the proper setting and company can be one of the most fulfilling experiences in life, bar very few.

OfflineAjna4201
DidgeridooExtraordinaire
Male

Re: To Trip or Not to Trip [Re: newlife]
    #6569024 - 02/14/07 10:17 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I think you should base your decision on what you think about YOURSELF. It is apparent that you are cautious about the idea. The fact that you are not wreckless is good.

If used responsibly, for reasons that YOU feel are right, and at a time that YOU feel is right then I very much doubt that you will encounter serious problems. That is not to say that you won't have a "difficult" trip. That is always a possibility, but in my experience sometimes difficult (or bad) trips can have positive results.

Also, remember that it is very possible that the experience will change you. But do not let that term intimidate you too much. Every new experience changes people in subtle ways. It is not as if, after tripping, an "old" me ceased to exist and was replaced by a "new" one. Rather, I had another experience under my belt that contributes to my attitude and points of view. I personally feel as if the contribution is a positive one.

Perhaps research exactly what mental disorders run in your family. Also, take into account your own mental assessment of yourself. Take into account what is currently going on in your life. Consider all these things, but remember that while people here may have good advice, in the end it is up to you to take that advice and form a decision for yourself.

Best of luck!

--------------------

Edited by Ajna4201 (02/14/07 10:20 PM)

Offlineyageman
already dead
 User Gallery

Re: To Trip or Not to Trip [Re: Mezcal]
    #6569046 - 02/14/07 10:24 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

By the right "doctor" I could be diagnosed as schizophrenic very easily. I know enough(too much) about their methods.

I was always a talented artist and very schizotypal, which may be reflected in my gene pool.

Playing musical instruments and visual art came to me almost like some autistic people.

I also have ALOT of psychedelic experience.
My extreem weirdness doesnt worry me.
I turned out ok, but I can honestly say that this way because of my approach to psychedelics. It made me better at everything not worse.
It made me more schizotypal/phrenic, but still, not "worse".

Im as happy as a clam.
I also have depression, anxiety, and schizophrenia in my family.
I dont see anything but schizophrenia as a real threat.
Those other "dissorders" are just meant to be dealt with, and psychedelics can hurt/help this.

Also, schizophrenia is a wild diagnosis. There are all types out there just waiting to be explained.
I can tell you for sure, my schizotypal genes helped me to become something I wouldnt have been otherwise. Music, visual art, and my inspired capasity to speak have made me seem unique, more interesting, but it does seperate me from so-called "normal people".........
(normal people)........Ya know those unopened christmas gifts you had as a kid.

--------------------
[quote]Me_Roy said:
You moron. Material is material is material.  No 'thing' fixes any situation.  If anything were so simple we would be living in a much better world.[/quote] <-----the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life.
Thanks shroomery.

Edited by yageman (02/14/07 10:31 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract