Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebuddig
Stranger
Loc: Montana
P. Azurescens Specialty Agar/Broth
    #655705 - 05/31/02 11:22 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Psilocybe Azurescens don't often do very well on PDA or in PDY broth in my experience, the only time I have ever propagated any hyphae with a broth or agar technique was with the use of honey. I have created a high nutrient agar/broth specifically for Azurescens, or any other possible wood loving fungus.

I have some Maple trees around my house, so this is what I use, I'm sure many other hard woods will work, most use Alder. With whatever tree you are using try and collect as much sap from it as you can, with what ever method you find most productive, my technique is pretty primitive, I gouge the trunk and let it bleed for a week or two. I can collect 1-2 cups, if you can get more, do.

I then collect half an ounce of bark, sticks, and leaf foliage which I griind in a coffee grinder, and using my drip coffee maker I make a strong, dark (the leaves on my trees are deep red) tea.

After I have a quart of tea, I begin to boil it down, as I heat the sap in a seperate pot. When sap heats it will melt into a thin liquid. When the tea is evaporated down to a pint I pour it boiling into the sap. I add honey and a carbohydrate (BRF, Malt Extract, etc.) I let this boil for some time at a low temperature, this vaporizes a lot of water so it is thicker and more potent in the nutrients of the wood.

When you feel it is ready, pour it into your petri dishes; As it cools it will solidify.

Broth:

Brew some Hardwood tea, bring to a boil on a stove , add a small amount of sap and honey, keep it at a low boil for a while, add to the prepared jars while still hot/boiling, close jars and let them to cool naturally, in that time they will have sterilized themselves.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
Re: P. Azurescens Specialty Agar/Broth [Re: buddig]
    #656225 - 05/31/02 04:08 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Sounds good.
Staments is a proponent of the addition of end-substrate into initial and intermediate substrates, such as agar. It allways seemed like a logical and good idea to me, glad to see it works for you.
have you ever tried a pinch of powdered alder?

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #656248 - 05/31/02 04:19 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Its a great idea to change the nutrients in your agar mix to suit the mushroom you are using. Azures seem to do pretty well on standard malt extract in my experience

--------------------

Offlinebuddig
Stranger
Re: P. Azurescens Specialty Agar/Broth [Re: DinoMyc]
    #656366 - 05/31/02 05:48 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I don't have access to any alder material, but if i come in contact with it I will try it. Do you have experience in growing Azurescens using the womb* technique?

*liquid substrate*

Offlinejohnwsmoke
    #656570 - 05/31/02 07:27 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Since pure maple syrup is the sap with copious water bioled off, doyou think it is possible to dilute the syrup instead of gouging my trees? I have collected sap but only in the spring to make syrup.

Do tell more about your techniques!!!

JWS

--------------------
Jon was a crippled, midget, lezbian boy- but he stood 10' tall with a KNIFE...

OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
    #656897 - 06/01/02 04:23 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

never tried it, sorry.
ive done a few experiments with A. blazeii on random substrates.. i was surprised by the quick colonization of plain damp cardboard..

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

Offlinebuddig
Stranger
Re: P. Azurescens Specialty Agar/Broth [Re: johnwsmoke]
    #657099 - 06/01/02 07:13 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I'm sure that would work, I was hesitant to use maple syrup because i thought there might be harmful preservatives or chemicals in a store bought brand. It seems to me that syrup would work well in a broth, it might be to sugary as an agar.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract