Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Loc: ATL
Why mushrooms lose their magic.
    #6527312 - 02/03/07 06:21 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I've been asked probably a hundred times why tripping gets old for some people (mind you these are usually the hard-core shroom-heads), and everyone seems to have their own answer, but no one has really come up with a truly satisfying conclusion yet.
So when a friend asked me this question a few days ago, I was naturally surprised to find that I had a new answer. A good one.

It started when my brother, who is an avid anti-shroomer, told me "there's only so much that shrooms can teach you. Once you get it, there's really no point in tripping."
I knew he was wrong, but, being the self-inquisitive philosophical bastard I am, I needed to find an answer as to "Why?"
I remembered that oh-so-common question, and I put the two together. I realized that my brother was wrong, but so was I.
Shrooms don't teach you anything. In reality, they only bring a new depth and understanding to the things you already know. The things that you do learn while tripping acquire this depth immediately upon learning, making them seem more profound than if you had learned them sober.
So, simply put, when you trip and acquire depth in all the things you know, if you trip again the next week, you won't learn that much and the profoundness will seem to go away, but the magic will still be there because maybe you didn't get to explore everything last time. When you trip again the week after that, you will find even less. When you trip again the next week, there will be almost nothing left in your mind to explore, giving your experience that classic emptiness that is felt by frequent trippers.
This conclusion is right on par when you compare it with other conditions. People who trip only a few times a year always have amazing trips, because they were able to learn new things and acquire new experiences in between trips, allowing the experience of tripping to keep its depth.
Compare it again to the first-timers. Isn't the first trip always the best? The most profound? All the built up experiences in your mind, all the knowledge you have acquired over the years, it all explodes into one massively profound, life-changing moment.
As we get older, we learn less in a given amount of time than younger people, so the trips become spread over longer and longer periods of time, until most old folks just give up on tripping.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMosis
miserable cunt
Male
Re: Why mushrooms lose their magic. [Re: Lysergic_Milkman]
    #6527336 - 02/03/07 06:30 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Good theory.

I was thinking the same thing. If you have no new experiences on which to reflect, then the mushroom trip won't be that different from the last. Mushroom trips following long periods of abstinence, or busy periods in one's life lead to amazing trips, though.

On top of this, I'd imagine if someone always did the same thing on mushrooms and never tried anything new, it would get boring as well. For example, if you always go to the same forest to trip, eventually you will be bored. If you always stay in your room in the dark and meditate, eventually, you will be bored. I think it was Timothy Leary that said something about this. People who don't try new things will eventually get bored of psychedelic experiences.

Having only tripped once, I think I won't get bored of them for a while. :wink: I'm just having an extremely difficult time finding anything, though. :frown:

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Loc: ATL
Re: Why mushrooms lose their magic. [Re: Mosis]
    #6527375 - 02/03/07 06:40 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, finding tryptanogens this time of year can be difficult, but there are many other entheogens out there to work with.
Morning glory seeds or HBWR is a good choice (both of which are actually tryptanogenic), legal cacti, Salvia divinorum, to name a few. I wouldn't recommend salvia until you're more experienced, though.

Offlinemushroomplume
Stranger
    #6527806 - 02/03/07 08:45 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

eh. i think it just gets old for some because they do it too much. to say shrooms no longer have anything to offer is to say the mind can only learn so much.

Offlineslamdunk
MexicanGang-Banger
    #6527828 - 02/03/07 08:54 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

You can only go as deep as your mind is willing to go. I think it loses its magic for people when they just go deeper than they wanted, so they become afraid and think they know everything so they don't see a point in doing it again. I think it's just fear of the unknown, fear of facing reality for what it is. It sure does take a lot of balls to eat large doses and go deeper. Most of my friends started doing them when I did, now most of them are just afraid to take them anymore, I think I was at that point once, then I just said fuck it and dove right now. I could go on..

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom