Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineCepheus
Balance
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the space between reality...
Cannabis legalisation
    #6493268 - 01/24/07 04:25 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Well, I'm just getting ready to go bed - and I had a thought.

The alcohol prohibition in the 20s fell apart simply because even though they were seizing alcohol, more was around than they could seize.

Its the same with cannabis.

So why don't we demonstrate this fact?

Heres a thought - Why don't we organize a march on our individual capitals, where; in a Marc Emery fashion each one of us lights a spliff on the doorstep of our goverments?

If 1000+ people turned up (and Im sure they would theres at least 5 million bud smokers in the UK alone) there is no way the law could deal with such an event.
Obviously it would be imperative that no one with previous drug convictions show up, and that people carry no more than an 1/8th per person - because the government would slanderize and pick out aspects like people dealing.

But my key point is; if we demonstrate that has failed, maybe they will act on this.

I personally would offer them an ultimatum - either make cannabis legal - with restrictions on the potency (face it thats the only way it would ever happen and thats a key aspect of their anti-cannabis propaganda - superskunk turns people crazy ...*cough*bs*cough*) or make alcohol / tobbacco illegal.

If they did the second it would be political suicide.

And it would only gain more support for our cause.

Just a thought.

Excuse my rambling :o

:hippie: :bongload:

--------------------
"I only ever hope to reach equilibrium, in Nature's matrix, in line with the meridian" ~ Jehst

:sun: "...and I know that I have to keep breathing, as tomorrow the sun will rise, who knows what the tide will bring?" :sun:

Free Spore Ring Europe
Send any spare spore prints you might have and help the distribution :grin:

Open Source. Freedom.  GNU/Linux

Addicting is not a word.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Loc: SoCal Flag
Re: Cannabis legalisation [Re: Cepheus]
    #6493279 - 01/24/07 04:29 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I can't see that going well at all. Even if they can't arrest all of us they'd hand pick people. I'm sure the pot smokers would get angry at this and start some sort of riot and a peaceful protest would turn violent and fuel fire for the feds' side of the drug war.

OfflineCepheus
Balance
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Cannabis legalisation [Re: Newbie]
    #6493283 - 01/24/07 04:31 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

that would be a key point... like womans suffrage, we'd have to do it strictly non-violent.

I'm sure if lots of thought went into it a mass toke up would go ok.

Especially if we remained non-violent yet uncooperative the whole time.

We'd have some awesome propaganda for own side as well, such as police beating hippies etc.

--------------------
"I only ever hope to reach equilibrium, in Nature's matrix, in line with the meridian" ~ Jehst

:sun: "...and I know that I have to keep breathing, as tomorrow the sun will rise, who knows what the tide will bring?" :sun:

Free Spore Ring Europe

Addicting is not a word.

OfflineCepheus
Balance
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6493291 - 01/24/07 04:33 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I wouldn't bring along teenage dopefiends either.
It would be a more adult audience.

Imagine the hysteria it would create :grin:

--------------------

Free Spore Ring Europe

Addicting is not a word.

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
    #6493302 - 01/24/07 04:36 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

The government is well aware that the Drug War has failed on a level similar to alcohol prohibition. They just don't care.

OfflineCepheus
Balance
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Cannabis legalisation [Re: Sheepish]
    #6493314 - 01/24/07 04:38 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Thats why we demonstrate.

Then they would have to care.

As long as reasonable sanctions were brought in such as 18+ / not near schools / public places etc I would abide.

It seems wrong on so many levels the fact that I'm a criminal for smoking a freely available plant....

--------------------

Free Spore Ring Europe

Addicting is not a word.

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #6493317 - 01/24/07 04:40 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Meh... I'm not a fan of the "Smoke out the Legislature" days they have around here.  In fact I hate them.  They work against the cause of legalization. 

Think of the spectacle from the point of view of the prohibitionists (whom we are trying to persuade) as they walk by: hundreds of dreadlocked, tye-dyed, red-eyed bums -- most of whom are either skipping work or school or are unemployed -- wearing pot leaf shirts and hats smoking big grotesque bongs while lazing on the grass, playing bongos, wondering out loud why cannabis is illegal.

Sure there is nothing wrong with dreadlocks or bongos, but it is this image which keeps the moderate anti-cannabis prohibitionist from admitting that weed isn't all that bad. 

Just my opinion :shrug:

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Re: Cannabis legalisation [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #6493330 - 01/24/07 04:44 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

And if you're protesting something that a wide age group participates in, you have to include everyone from that age group.

OfflineCepheus
Balance
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Cannabis legalisation [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #6493331 - 01/24/07 04:44 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

In which case I would propose to them about alcohol.

Even white-middle/upper conservative christian mothers drink.

I would present them with comparisons etc.

While I don't personally agree with smoking, there are other methods of ingestion which would be easier if they were comercially available.

I would highlight this point.

--------------------

Free Spore Ring Europe

Addicting is not a word.

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

#6493340 - 01/24/07 04:48 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Many of the same points have been highlighted already, along with numerous comparisons and evidence that Wars on Drugs create more harms than benefits. But they don't listen, and probably won't for a while. There's been many demonstrations already, all over the world.

I would love to see a world where a human being can come to their own conclusions about which drugs to use or not, but we're still a long way off. But seeing groups like www.leap.cc give me a faint glimmer of hope.

OfflineGreenScreen
bidibodi bidibu
 User Gallery

Loc: ation
    #6493350 - 01/24/07 04:53 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Good luck organizing something like that.

You could never get enough of the kind of people you want to do it. Alot of people just wouldnt show up because of their fear of losing their job or place in society, and then even if a lot of people did show up like NewbieShroomie said, the feds would come around and start arresting people and a riot would probably break out and just cause more trouble

--------------------

OfflineCepheus
Balance
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6493354 - 01/24/07 04:54 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I'm not the only person to of thought of this :grin:
Them LEAP people seem promising, although they will never get the attention they need...

which is why 1000+ dope smoking hippies on the presidents doorstep would, because it would grab the attention of the government, and more importantly the media - who would actually show the positive side of drug use.

If these guys talked at such a ralley then that would be the icing on the cake...

--------------------

Free Spore Ring Europe

Addicting is not a word.

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

#6493363 - 01/24/07 04:56 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

The government already knows our view and understands our points, I'm sure. They aren't willing to admit it though, and they have too much riding on maintaining their hold on things. I do see it happening within the next 5-10 years though, weed is getting so much more exposure now that it has in even the past 10 years. I can't turn on a radio show, tv show or movie without hearing something about weed be it positive or negative.

Edited by Newbie (01/24/07 04:57 PM)

InvisibleDontFearThePeepr
 User Gallery

#6493365 - 01/24/07 04:57 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

i remember somebody else on here having that same idea less than a year ago. among many problems discussed was the whole organization issue. i mean, if you tell millions of people to grab their pot and start smoking it in public there's going to be at least some that are reluctant. and that's a best case scenario. regardless of whether it's an act of protest, people will still acknowledge the risk of being beaten, arrested, gassed, shot, killed, etc.

i also remember there was something going at a college in boulder, colorado. there were too many people there to arrest, so they had some agents stake out and take pictures of people while they were indulging, THEN offered $50 rewards for anyone that would rat them out

however, http://www.5280.com/blog/?p=1757

they tried but couldnt stop any of the assemblies...

--------------------
It's only the strongest people who will actually help

OfflineWysefool
I AM SKELETON JELLY
Male User Gallery
Re: Cannabis legalisation [Re: DontFearThePeepr]
    #6493445 - 01/24/07 05:29 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

We do this in Vancouver a couple times a year in the summer usually on April 20th and July 1st (4/20 and Cannabis Day).

I've never heard of any arrests but we do it outside of the art gallery.

That sucks what happened in Colorado but from what I understand they got away with it for a couple years before that and the year a bunch got arrested the area had a lot warning signs posted. My friend called the college and that's what they told him anyways.

--------------------
]

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

#6493536 - 01/24/07 06:08 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Actually, LEAP get a lot of attention, especially in the media. They do talks all around America and sometimes overseas. If anything, I think it's more effective than potheads smoking up (as fun as it is). When ex narcs, DEA and former police officers start standing up and saying "The Drug War isn't going to win - legalise them already" normal people take notice.

It's unfortunate that just because we have long hair, listen to that wild crazy music and may (or may not) have hippy ideals, anything like that is easily dismissed by the general public and government as "just a bunch of pot smoking hippies". They planted that seed back in the 70s and people still think that way today. Bastards.

InvisibleDontFearThePeepr
 User Gallery

#6494270 - 01/24/07 09:57 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

damn hippies. never changed the world, just gave rise to drug addiction and std's.

--------------------
It's only the strongest people who will actually help

InvisibleBanez
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#6494279 - 01/24/07 10:00 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

IF and when this happens, i have already planned, along with several close friends to found the first ever marijuana cigerette company.

--------------------
Banez' PF Tek For Beginners

OfflineJadian
Ninja
Male User Gallery

Loc: The desert
Re: Cannabis legalisation [Re: Banez]
    #6494528 - 01/24/07 11:33 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

3 major tobacco companies already have names copywrited for "Marijuana cigarettes" in the event that marijuana becomes legal. 

Nice idea, but they got you beat :tongue:

I'd take a public police beating for the cause, I wouldn't mind being a marijauna martyr.

--------------------
LNC's official Alaskan stoner
:jackdaniels::drooling::jackdaniels:

InvisibleFerris
PsychedelicJourneyman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Cannabis legalisation *DELETED* [Re: Jadian]
    #6494628 - 01/25/07 12:12 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by Ferris

Reason for deletion: .

--------------------

Discuss Politics

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder