Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFunkyAlfonzo
Ego Warrior!
Loc: UK
Caps going brown?
    #646984 - 05/26/02 11:01 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Hi all,

I bought a shroom growing kit from sjamaan.nl (I know I know kits kits kits blah, I bought it before I knew you could do it yourself easily). It's been amazingly successful. All you had to do was put it in the provided bag and spray some water onto the substrate and two weeks later I had an entire box full of 4 inch psilosybe cubensis. My question is:

The kit said to harvest just before the largest ones opened their caps. Well I went away for the weekend and when I got back, the caps were opened on most of them. The thing is, the caps seem to have turned upwards at the edges a bit and some of the caps have gone a little bit brown. The stems seem a little furry, but are still bright white. I've left the top of the bag a little open this morning because I thought it might be too much moisture. I don't really wanna eat them til the weekend, and I wanna eat them fresh... Do I need to harvest them real quick before they go bad?? More pins are still forming at the bottom already...

Help! Don't wanna loose my shrooms at this late stage!!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Caps going brown? [Re: FunkyAlfonzo]
    #646994 - 05/26/02 11:20 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

>I don't really wanna eat them til the weekend, and I wanna eat them fresh...

Nope... harvest and dry them now, they won?t be good till weekend, not even in the fridge.

OfflineFunkyAlfonzo
Ego Warrior!
    #647009 - 05/26/02 11:33 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the reply. Does this mean that they've already started going off then? Hmm maybe I should just eat them tonight...

As far as drying them goes, I've read a bit about how to do it... I don't have a dessicant (sp?) handy, so would laying them out on some cloth underneath a spotlight be good enough do you think?

InvisibleFloydseamus
Fun Guy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Long Island
    #647028 - 05/27/02 12:19 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I dont think the spotlight idea would be the greatest way to go. It would raise the temps of the shrooms, and possibly destroy some of the active ingredients. What i do is lay out all my harvested shrooms on a screen, although a cloth would probably work, and put them in the direct path of 2 different fans. This dries them quite quickly, and without a big loss in active ingredients. (usually mostly 1 and 1/2 days and almost bone dry in 2.) Seems to work the best for me.

Im no expert tho

--------------------

OfflineFunkyAlfonzo
Ego Warrior!
Re: Caps going brown? [Re: Floydseamus]
    #647032 - 05/27/02 12:22 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks, I think you're probably right about the heat breaking down the psilsybin. What I'm probably gonna do is pick them now and keep them in the fridge til tomorrow and eat them then while still fresh. I'm really worried about fucking these up...

Can anyone actually tell me why the caps turned up and went brown? Is it just that I've left them too long to harvest? I see pictures in the other forum of cubensis with their caps fully open and huge... how come mine didn't go like that?

InvisibleFloydseamus
Fun Guy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Long Island
    #647038 - 05/27/02 12:32 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Would have to see a pic of that to form an opinion. What you are describing, to me, sounds like normal maturity of the strain. What do you mean by "turning up" ?

--------------------

OfflineFunkyAlfonzo
Ego Warrior!
Re: Caps going brown? [Re: Floydseamus]
    #647045 - 05/27/02 12:42 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I mean that the caps, which are mostly domed, are turning up at the edges instead of following the dome shape downwards. The brown colouration looks kinda like fruit when it has started going off... kinda like bananas when they start going black/brown....

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #647056 - 05/27/02 12:57 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Can you whipe the brown stuff off? Then they are spores. Harmless. Pick those fruits.

OfflineFunkyAlfonzo
Ego Warrior!
Re: Caps going brown? [Re: Anno]
    #647092 - 05/27/02 02:21 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

It looks like it was just a stage of development. I just went home and checked them and the brown wasn't really prevalent any more.

They're picked now, and ready to play

Thanks for the replies btw

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract