Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHUBSonDUBS
Male User Gallery

colonization time when spawning to coir?
    #6468938 - 01/17/07 10:22 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

What is the average time when spawning to coir. When I would spawn a 12qt bin to hpoo it was just over a week what could I expect from coir?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: colonization time when spawning to coir? [Re: HUBSonDUBS]
    #6469067 - 01/17/07 11:10 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

similar.

it hinges on moisture content, coir being able to hold a wide range of moisture... dryer goes faster but there's less initial moisture available for your flush, wetter goes slower and runs the risk of bacterial bloom, but there's more moisture available for the flush.  too much moisture = failure.  i always stay to the dryer side for speed and "safety", more moisture becomes available through the casing and there's always dunking for later flushes.

i personally use 1:1 or 1:2 spawn:coir ratios because the grains add nutrients the coir is lacking in somewhat, and also because i keep things pretty small scale a bunch of quarts of spawn goes a long way. :smile:  with those numbers i'm ready to case within 5-6 days of spawning.

InvisibleSillicybin
Loc: Flag
Re: colonization time when spawning to coir? [Re: creamcorn]
    #6469114 - 01/17/07 11:22 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

My results with coir so far:

5 quarts coir: 66.6% of total substrate (hydrated to "field capacity")
1 quart coffee: 13.3% of total substrate
1.5 quarts wheat berry spawn: 20% of total substrate
-----------------------------------------------------

7.5 quarts of total substrate

Mixed in the spawn as homogeneously with the coir as I could. I also broke the spawn down to INDIVIDUAL BERRIES. Some people advocate leaving nickel sized chunks, but I prefer having more inoc points to having more established myc.

All 3 fully colonized in 7 days @ 80-82*F.

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: colonization time when spawning to coir? [Re: creamcorn]
    #6469800 - 01/17/07 02:39 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

creamcorn said:
similar.

it hinges on moisture content, coir being able to hold a wide range of moisture... dryer goes faster but there's less initial moisture available for your flush, wetter goes slower and runs the risk of bacterial bloom, but there's more moisture available for the flush.  too much moisture = failure.  i always stay to the dryer side for speed and "safety", more moisture becomes available through the casing and there's always dunking for later flushes.

i personally use 1:1 or 1:2 spawn:coir ratios because the grains add nutrients the coir is lacking in somewhat, and also because i keep things pretty small scale a bunch of quarts of spawn goes a long way. :smile:  with those numbers i'm ready to case within 5-6 days of spawning.

Hit the nail right on the head on this one Cream Corn :rockon:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix