Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblejellyfish

Simple glove box
    #6463608 - 01/15/07 07:22 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I bought a see through rubber maid container with a hinged lid that does not seal at all around the edges. I plan on cuttign two arm holes and connectting garbage bags to the holes with duct tape and attackthe gloves to the bags. And seal the top with duct tape each time I use the box. Are there any tips on how to make it better. I don't want a high tech expensive grow box and I don't havbe a lot of free time I just want to make my sucess rate for cloning to agar a little higher as now I do all my innoculations in open air.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleodium33
_____///
 User Gallery

Loc: mycoland
Re: Simple glove box [Re: jellyfish]
    #6463712 - 01/15/07 07:54 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

i would run a bead of silicon on the lid to make a seal that you dont have to duct tape everytime. i would also cut a 2" hole and stuff with polyfill in one of the corners to let the oust and lysol escape. other then that your golden

--------------------
----------

OfflineYuckMan
Student
Male

Re: Simple glove box [Re: odium33]
    #6463726 - 01/15/07 07:59 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Silicon sounds good.

I used foam tape to seal mine. It's just as cheap as a roll of duct tape, and you shouldn't have to retape it everytime. Can be found at any hardwarestore.

http://www.citylivingstores.com/cgi-bin/item/174334

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Simple glove box [Re: YuckMan]
    #6463756 - 01/15/07 08:07 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

No. You don't need tape, silicon or anything else. A glovebox only needs to break the wind, not be sterile. There is no reason or need to seal one up tight.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: Simple glove box [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6464244 - 01/15/07 10:18 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Yep,the idea is still air it doesn't need to be sterile,give everything a spray down with bleach solution a few minutes before inoculation and you should be fine :rockon:

Invisiblecpw1971
Mr
Male User Gallery
Re: Simple glove box [Re: Blutjager]
    #6464252 - 01/15/07 10:21 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

i just layed mine on its side and taped some clear plastic over the hole and cut a few holes in the clear plastic.
easy

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Simple glove box [Re: cpw1971]
    #6464348 - 01/15/07 11:03 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Ok, my turn. Put a fish tank pump in a filter box (very easy to make) then hook it up to the glove box. Bad stuff can't float in if sterile air is always pumping out  :stoned: :wink:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Invisiblecpw1971
Mr
Male User Gallery
Re: Simple glove box [Re: Magash]
    #6464545 - 01/16/07 12:49 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I wonder if I could just cut a hole big enough for my air purifier exhaust to fit in and tape or silicone it?? It has a hepa filter and neg ion generator.
glovebox flowhood all in one??

Offlineetam
it's a hobby...
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: East Coast
Re: Simple glove box [Re: Magash]
    #6464908 - 01/16/07 05:24 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Ok, my turn. Put a fish tank pump in a filter box (very easy to make) then hook it up to the glove box. Bad stuff can't float in if sterile air is always pumping out  :stoned: :wink:

That's a good idea.  I think I'll do that.  I'm well overdue on building a glove box.

I currently don't even use a glove box.  I've always been wary of them because of the exploding oust phenomenon when you're flaming your needle :P.  I do everything in open air and rarely have contams, but I really think I'm just very lucky.

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: Simple glove box [Re: etam]
    #6464980 - 01/16/07 06:37 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

etam said:
Quote:

Magash said:

That's a good idea.  I think I'll do that.  I'm well overdue on building a glove box.

I currently don't even use a glove box.  I've always been wary of them because of the exploding oust phenomenon when you're flaming your needle :P.  I do everything in open air and rarely have contams, but I really think I'm just very lucky.

I have experienced the phenomenon you speak of and I will say it loud and clear IT IS HORRIBLE and it detonates like a bomb :suicidebomber:  I have never since had anything flammable in the glovebox with the exception of an alcohol prep pad to wipe needles down with,I rarely even flame needles,Just put everything you will need in the glovebox and spray a little bleach solution,and than use the alcohol pad to wipe the needle down every few jars,It works and it sure as hell beats going up in flames again,nothing ever really needs to be flammable in your glovebox

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Simple glove box [Re: Blutjager]
    #6465117 - 01/16/07 08:16 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I strongly recommend against anything in a glovebox that causes the air to move, whether filtered or not. Sterility is irrelevant in a glovebox. If you want sterile(relatively) air, get a laminar flow hood.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
    #6465127 - 01/16/07 08:22 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, if "sterile air" is pumping out, it HAS to be sucking outside air in somewhere, therefore it's not sterile.

The best design I saw was the clear rubbermaid simply turned upsidedown with some holes cut out for hands... KISS! :smile:

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
    #9572929 - 01/08/09 07:11 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i just got a rubbermade tub and simply want to cut 2 arm holes in the side and b done.  my question is how or what do i use to cut this plastic?  every time i use a razor knife the plastic 
cracks and shaters.  tubs are not cheap when you have to keep buying them to start over.  HELP!

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

OfflineABC
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Simple glove box [Re: 13shrooms]
    #9572941 - 01/08/09 07:13 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

13shrooms said:
i just got a rubbermade tub and simply want to cut 2 arm holes in the side and b done.  my question is how or what do i use to cut this plastic?  every time i use a razor knife the plastic 
cracks and shaters.  tubs are not cheap when you have to keep buying them to start over.  HELP!

1st, please dont revive old threads

what you should do is get/build an alcohol burner, heat up a butter knife and let it melt through the plastic. I was quite frustrated by cracking too. but a red hot knife works very well:thumbup:

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Simple glove box [Re: ABC]
    #9572970 - 01/08/09 07:17 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

ok next time I will open a new post so we have more crap to look through during a search.  but thanx ill melt it.

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #9572987 - 01/08/09 07:19 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
No.  You don't need tape, silicon or anything else.  A glovebox only needs to break the wind, not be sterile.  There is no reason or need to seal one up tight.
RR

Ill back that up, i have a similar glovebox. The lid is a 2 peice hinged lid that slots together when closed, like a trapdoor. All i did was cut 2 holes for my arms. No gloves to seal it, just open holes. Works great.

I do use latex gloves that get wiped with alcohol.

That glovebox gave me 100% success compared to 90% failure without it.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Simple glove box [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9573043 - 01/08/09 07:26 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

So this isnt in my gallery so i thought, this is a good time to upload.

This is my glovebox. Its just something i had lying around at the time, and thought yup that will do.

I badly cut the arm holes, not having a drill, hacksaw or anything. I had to heat a knife up and slow melt the arm holes. Its a realy bad job, but it works great.

all i do with this glovebox is clean it with soapy water, leaving the walls damp, transfer everything i need inside, wait 10 minutes then carry out my procedures.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
Re: Simple glove box [Re: ABC]
    #9576041 - 01/09/09 09:07 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ABC said:
Quote:

13shrooms said:
HELP!

1st, please dont revive old threads

Reviving an old thread for real help IS BETTER than starting a new thread... Reviving old threads for no reason is iffy...

Onto your solution.

Simply save an old metal coffee can... heat the edge and melt out perfect circles. :smirk:

Offlinejohnny_poke
Brownian movement

Loc: Europe
Re: Simple glove box [Re: RoosterCogburn]
    #9576117 - 01/09/09 09:31 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I used an el-cheapo soldering iron to cut my arm holes. I also siliconed 2 pieces of drain pipe in them to attatch my gloves to. Lid sealed with foam insulating tape (the kind used round doors and windows).
I was not happy with the idea of opening the box lid to transfer my stuff from the PC so I did this: Cut the bottom off of a tupperware container, cut a corresponding hole in the side of the glovebox then siliconed in place. A simple and effective air tight door. In fact, my box is so airtight that my alcohol burner only lasted 5 mins before dying from lack of oxygen! I think I will just alcohol wipe my innoc. loop in future because I am afraid that the burners demand for oxygen may have created a vacuum and sucked impure air into the box.
Hope this helps :smile:

--------------------
[quote]But what our scientist does not realize is that every time he makes a measurement, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is there changing the results with His Noodly Appendage.[/quote]

Offlinebcboy
30% larger in real life

Re: Simple glove box [Re: johnny_poke]
    #9576452 - 01/09/09 11:27 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

For perfect arm holes pick up a can of tomatoes or any can that has the diameter that will fit your arms. Empty the cans contents, and wearing oven mitts heat the outer edge red hot with a gas stove or propane torch and use this like a cookie cutter to make perfect arm holes. A coat hanger bent in a circle can also work.

Then grab yourself some tvek coveralls and cut the arms off at the spot they are a little large than the diameter of the arm holes. Then using a glue gun secure them from the outside direct to the plastic tub.

Cut a large viewing window in the top and use some overhead projector film to make a nice strong clear window. Tape that from the inside using duct tape or gorilla tape and your good to go.

for gloves just wear some latex gloves.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder