Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

MagicBag.co Shop: All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleHSIHd
ProfessionalHamburgler
Male

Loc: IOWA
I can't keep water in my PC
    #6463370 - 01/15/07 06:19 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I just got done doing 2 batches of jars in my PC. The first time I had to stop the PC about 45 min into it because I could tell be the sound that there was no water. I just pulled my second batch out that made it the full 1 hr 15 min but I could tell right before I turned it off that the water level was getting low. Sure enough I opened it up and sure enough the only sign of water was the wet rag in the bottom. I am starting on round 3 right now and have been inspecting the PC very close for possible leaks. I can't see any. I have plenty of water in there to start. When I turn on the heat I turn it almost to high until steam starts to come out the rocker then I turn it down a little bit to maintain a steady pace. This is the same way I have been doing it since I started growing. Is there something that I am over looking here? Or is it just time for a new PC? It is only 3 years old so I wouldn't think that would be the case, but if neccesary it will be replaced. Anyone have any pointers?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAmericaOnLSD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: I can't keep water in my PC [Re: HSIHd]
    #6463415 - 01/15/07 06:34 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

The water has to go someplace. Even if you had a leak and some of the steam is getting out it shouldn't all boil away that fast unless you have the heat turned up too high.

Maybe try boiling a pot of water with the same heat setting as you are using with the pressure cooker and see how fast it boils away. Sounds like there might be something wrong with the heat control on your stove?

AOLSD

--------------------
See AmericaOnLSD!

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: I can't keep water in my PC [Re: AmericaOnLSD]
    #6463477 - 01/15/07 06:51 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

As soon as pressure is reached, you MUST turn the stove down to the minimum setting that will maintain pressure. Don't allow steam to bellow out or the weight to rattle. 1" of water in the bottom of a PC should last three hours if necessary. Just adjust your burner.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineNewFungiGrower
Stranger
Re: I can't keep water in my PC [Re: HSIHd]
    #6463486 - 01/15/07 06:52 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I put screws in my lid that goes on the bottom of the pc. It rasied the lvl of the water up so I could put plenty of water in the bottom and keep my jars from getting water splashed in them. It has worked everytime since with no worries.

Offlinesoulsizzle
nobody f**kswith The Jesus

Re: I can't keep water in my PC [Re: NewFungiGrower]
    #6463609 - 01/15/07 07:22 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

My first thought was that you had the heat too high, but you say you have been using this PC for three years? With no previous problems? If this is correct, then perhaps you do have a problem with your PC. If it is the kind that you get from Wal-Mart or somewhere similar and has a rubber gasket, you may need to replace the gasket.

--------------------

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: I can't keep water in my PC [Re: soulsizzle]
    #6464164 - 01/15/07 09:51 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I usually never add more than an inch or two,you have to make a few test runs with just the PC and figure out what your stove needs to be set at to maintain pressure without it boiling away,In time you will not only know what your burner needs to be set at but you will figure out what setting it needs to be at on every burner on the stove,for me its between 5 and 6,its probably different for everyone cause everyone has a different stove and a different PC but keep trying and you will get it,do it without anything in it so you don't risk breaking jars if it boils dry,the weight should rock gently and only let out a tiny bit of steam every now and than to keep it at 15,if its letting out more than that than you have the heat way to high

Jump to top Pages: 1

MagicBag.co Shop: All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags