Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePsyliChick
Sponge
 User Gallery

Loc: In the Middle
First Casing Attempt --- Opinions Appreciated!
    #6444630 - 01/10/07 09:32 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Okay... I am gonna lay out my strategy step by step.... I would love some feedback! I have 2 1/2 pint PF Cakes of Amazonian strain ready to go... (I have 6 other cakes from my first grow in an FC now)... And here is my plan for a casing mix... 1/2 Peat Moss, 1/2 Vermiculite, Small amount of Oyster Shells, and water to field capacity. Two questions... what is the ratio for the Oyster Shells?
How should I sterilize my casing mix?

Step 1:
Wet a small amount of fine vermiculite (that's what I have) to field capacity and place a 1/2" layer in bottom of aluminum foil container.

Step 2:
Remove cake from jar into a Ziploc bag and break it up into nickel sized crumbles... Repeat the same with the other cake.

Step 3:
Empty cake crumbles evenly as possible on top of vermiculite layer.

Step 4:
Add pre-made (by me) casing mixture on top of crumbled cakes. This layer should only be deep enough that I can NOT see mycellium through the casing. It is also understood that there should be valleys and hills in the casing layer. Does this naturally happen due to the bumpy nature of the cake crumbles layer? Or do I need to artificially create these hills and valleys?
Step 5:
Cover container. Does the cover need to have holes? I plan to use a container that comes with a plastic top... will this work? Or should I just use aluminum foil?

Step 6:
Place in same incubator used for PF Tek jars. It is a Tub In Tub, set at 83-84 degrees. No light. No extra humidification.

Step 7
Wait. How long in the incubator? What are the indications for initiating pinning?
Step 8
Initiate pinning. Take cover of container and place in fruiting chamber. The fruiting chamber is a large, all-clear Rubbermaid container with a lid. It will have a layer of moist perlite at the bottom (out of hydroton) for humidification. It will also have holes drilled about 3 inches up the side of the container for release of co2 gases. Should I use large holes or several small holes? The ambient temperature of the room the container is in is about 70 degrees and is lit most of the day by an overhead ceiling light. (kitchen) Is this temp high enough for pinning?

Step 9
Wait for pinning to happen! Do I need to mist the casing layer or will the perlite layer in the FC be enough?
Step 10
Once the pins have formed, let nature take its course and harvest when ready.

Step 11
Make another post about how to get another flush.

--------------------
All posts are a works of fiction meant to entertain the masses. In no way do they imply that I break any laws, ordinances, or statutes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSillicybin
Loc: Flag
Re: First Casing Attempt --- Opinions Appreciated! [Re: PsyliChick]
    #6444749 - 01/10/07 10:33 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

- The ratio can vary depending on a HUGE number of factors, including how acidic your particular brand of peat is. The 50/50+ casing tek suggests 15% oyster shell and 4% hydrated lime by volume.... but this isn't nearly as optimal as actually as measuring pH and adjusting accordingly.

- I have tried sterilizing in the microwave as well as the PC... I have much less contamination when I sterilize in the pressure cooker and then mist with 1:20 H2O2/water.

- Peaks/valleys will be natural. The main idea is that you want to be sure NOT to pack the casing mix down.

- I generally use aluminum foil ... you want some gas exchange, while still allowing some CO2 buildup in order to encourage colonization rather than fruiting.

- How long depends on how long it takes to colonize the casing layer without overlaying. When you start seeing one or two tufts of mycelium poking through, patch those spots and let it sit for a day or two more. When you start to see many spots poking through rather evenly, then you pop it out and place in your FC.

- Several small holes or a few large holes doesn't really matter. Just don't go overboard.

- 70*F is just about perfect.

- Whether you need to mist or not depends on whether it dries out or not. If it continues to stay moist, there's no need. I find usually have to mist them, though, even with high RH.

Edited by Sillicybin (01/10/07 07:30 PM)

OfflinePsyliChick
Sponge
 User Gallery

Re: First Casing Attempt --- Opinions Appreciated! [Re: Sillicybin]
    #6447807 - 01/11/07 06:53 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

ok...so it's done. I crumbled and cased 2 cakes. Sterilized the casing mix in the microwave for 10 minutes, twice and let cool in the wave overnight. Sterile all the way. Put it in my incubator covered with foil. I misted each layer with a water and h202 mix. And now we shall see. I will check on it tonigh (9pm) when I get home from work.

--------------------
All posts are a works of fiction meant to entertain the masses. In no way do they imply that I break any laws, ordinances, or statutes.

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#6447813 - 01/11/07 06:58 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

PsyliChick said:
ok...so it's done. I crumbled and cased 2 cakes. Sterilized the casing mix in the microwave for 10 minutes, twice and let cool in the wave overnight. Sterile all the way. Put it in my incubator covered with foil. I misted each layer with a water and h202 mix. And now we shall see. I will check on it tonigh (9pm) when I get home from work.

Just use water,its all you need and you may do more harm than good adding anything else

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #6448459 - 01/11/07 11:18 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Read my pinning strategy it will help! And BTW Welcome to the Shroomery :toast:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflinePsyliChick
Sponge
 User Gallery

Re: First Casing Attempt --- Opinions Appreciated! [Re: hyphae]
    #6450780 - 01/11/07 11:16 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Thank you for the welcome! This forum has been invaluable!

So, when I got home, I opened the incubator, lifted back the foil...

and expected nothing to be different than it was 12hours ago. It came as a suprise to me when I saw 4 small patches of mycellium starting to attach itself to my casing. So, I moved some of the casing mix over the top of them and covered it back up! Looks well! I hope it isn't too agressive .... eeek.! I am not so sure exactly when to move it into the FC?!?!?!?!!? How many of these little nickel size patches do I patch before I just let it grow through? Does it grow through or does it really pin just right through the casing and you don't really see lots of mycellium growth on the surface? Is this making ANY sense?!?!!?
Hyphae --- I have read your post a bunch of times! Lemme go read it again... Aha! I get it now. Looks like I should follow this as my pinning strategy!
Also... it ocurred to me that maybe I could see mycellium grow through so soon is that I didn't put a thick enough layer of casing mix on top. I covered my colonized subrstrate just enough so that I couldn't see any of it... maybe more? Or is it okay to just patch it over the next day or two and then transfer it to the FC? It is incubating at 81-82degrees right now... for the last 15hours anyway.

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6451289 - 01/12/07 05:40 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Build your casing layer thickness to around 1/2" this amount holds a great amount of moisture and will give better yields than a thinner one. Lightly patch once it breaks the surface then randomly check some other spots and see if the myc is just under the surface if it is then it can go into the fruiting chamber. This is all timing and is sllightly different with every substrain (aggressiveness). When patching only cover with just enough so you don't see any myc then mist it lightly. GL

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflinePsyliChick
Sponge
 User Gallery

#6452354 - 01/12/07 02:15 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Excellent. I did just that. I will post pics in about 30minutes.

--------------------

OfflinePsyliChick
Sponge
 User Gallery

#6452801 - 01/12/07 04:05 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Allrighty then... here are the pics of the FC...
I did a VERY light patching and put it in there about 1 hour before this pic was taken. It has small airholes in the lid... and one on each end, 1/3 of the way up and about the size of a pencil eraser.

--------------------

OfflinePsyliChick
Sponge
 User Gallery

#6464281 - 01/15/07 10:33 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Update... Looking good... Myc is poking through lots of spaces... nice humidity, and moisture content seems good... temp is room temp of 70 degrees. Fanning several times a day.

--------------------

OfflinePsyliChick
Sponge
 User Gallery

#6469482 - 01/17/07 12:54 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

hmmmmm... what does overlay look like?

Can humidity be too high at this stage? It appears to be at close to 100%.

--------------------

InvisibleSillicybin
    #6477601 - 01/19/07 05:45 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Overlay is very hard, thick mycelium.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5631638#5631638

Read that post. Everything you'd want to know about it.

It's hard to make RH too high at this stage, unless you're drowning the casing. Make sure there's no standing water on the casing surface, however. If there is, I usually tilt the casing to dump it off and then fan it until most of it evaporates.

Any updates on this bad boy?

OfflinePsyliChick
Sponge
 User Gallery

#6482118 - 01/21/07 11:05 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Hey again! Sorry for lack of updates to this thread.... I've been working on setting up my GH!

So... I transferred the casing to the GH 2 days ago once I got the humidity to a respectable level...

Well, it must have been too high humidity or to little FAE because I woke up to a whole lotta metabolites all over the surface of the casing...

So I dabbed it off... noticed I had some decent pins comin' up and left it alone again...

Couple of hours later... same thing.

Today, same thing but pins are growing and new ones are forming throughout the casing.

My hygrometer was reading about 92% and tons of condensation...so I thought... this can't be right! It's got to be at least 100%...

Sure enough.. the paper/plastic piece behind the dial was slightly bent... when I flicked it back... the dial immediately went up to 100%! Yeah. Lesson #1, lol. Don't buy a $3.99 hygrometer!

So I knocked back the timing of the ultrasonic down to 15mins every hour.. and I will run the coolmist 24/7 and see how that goes.

I also am cookin' up 12 jars full of BRF/Verm today so that I can use up the BRF that I have....

I am going to knock up 1/2 of them with an LC I started. The other half with my spore syringes...

Then I will hopefully be able to case them all in about 10 days.

We shall see!

Peace and Love.

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6482134 - 01/21/07 11:13 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Awesome PsyliChick! You may even want to limit that ultrasonic even more but that will be your call of course, nice to see your back on track!!:thumbup:

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

OfflinePsyliChick
Sponge
 User Gallery

#6488821 - 01/23/07 08:14 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Hyphae --- this morning I did let up on the US a bit... I had metabolites all over my casing again!!... I better go take some pics! How boring to have ALL these posts and NO pics!

--------------------

OfflinePsyliChick
Sponge
 User Gallery

#6488835 - 01/23/07 08:22 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Well... guess there won't be any pics today... the ENTIRE pack of batteries I bought are DEAD! WTF!

--------------------

OfflinePsyliChick
Sponge
 User Gallery

#6492071 - 01/24/07 10:00 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Allrighty... got some pics this a.m.

Here we go!!
[image]url=http://www.shroomery.org/forums/files/07-004/965761491-FirstCasing.jpg][/image]

--------------------

OfflinePsyliChick
Sponge
 User Gallery

#6492079 - 01/24/07 10:04 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Okay...I don't know what is going on with the pics thing... I can't figure it out. Anyway... the above pic is a few Amazonians that I harvested this morning... they weighed 49grams... Check out my gallery for more pics...

--------------------

Edited by PsyliChick (01/24/07 10:08 AM)

InvisibleSillicybin
    #6492605 - 01/24/07 01:08 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Nicely done. 

I liked your old avatar better though... :smirk:

OfflinePsyliChick
Sponge
 User Gallery

#6493937 - 01/24/07 08:10 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

lol... me too. Do you know how long it took me to figure that one out!! :bonghit:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract