Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineclearview76
Eager Beaver

my last cake ---- endless mycelium experiment???
    #6438514 - 01/08/07 02:59 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I got one cake left and I'm already kickin my own ass since I decided to fruit the other 4. After reading these forums day and night its readily apparent to me that casing is about 1 million times better. So heres my questions: With my last cake, can I spawn this direct to some coco coir and then continually spawn that to more coir? I figure that if this works (which it does in my noob brain) I can always have some spawn ready to be broken up and cased! If this can't be done, what is the best way to get MAXIMUM fruiting outta that cake (I been reading a lot about this 80/20 coir/coffee mix) I'm definetly gonna case this byotch.

BTW my cakes still haven't fruited so yes I am jumping the gun but I'm pumped as shit

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: my last cake ---- endless mycelium experiment??? [Re: clearview76]
    #6438518 - 01/08/07 03:02 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

You can spawn that cake to a new sub, but anything beyond that and performance drops off. Going further than 1-2 generations from the original isn't ideal. Casing is the way to go, but I don't think you can expect terrific results from a single cake with any method (there are exceptions though).

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: my last cake ---- endless mycelium experiment??? [Re: Holydiver]
    #6438559 - 01/08/07 03:15 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Maybe not endless mycelium from the cake itself but you could at least get some fruits off that casing and than clone them,print them,make LC from the prints etc...

Offlineclearview76
Eager Beaver

Re: my last cake ---- endless mycelium experiment??? [Re: Blutjager]
    #6438610 - 01/08/07 03:43 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

hahahaha glad I asked..... I hate cakes, is casing this one in a pan with 80/20 coir/coffee my best bet?

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#6438655 - 01/08/07 03:57 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

clearview76 said:
hahahaha glad I asked..... I hate cakes, is casing this one in a pan with 80/20 coir/coffee my best bet?

Sounds like a plan to me...O and I just rated you 5 shrooms for your above statement :thumbup:

Offlinefourstringbass
Canadian Chemist
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #6438724 - 01/08/07 04:36 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Blutjager said:
Quote:

clearview76 said:

Sounds like a plan to me...O and I just rated you 5 shrooms for your above statement :thumbup:

Haha. You really don't like cakes do you?

--------------------

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: my last cake ---- endless mycelium experiment??? [Re: fourstringbass]
    #6438751 - 01/08/07 04:46 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

fourstringbass said:
Quote:

Blutjager said:
Quote:

clearview76 said:

Haha. You really don't like cakes do you?

I think cakes were the best thing around....IN THE 1800's :dielaughing:

InvisibleSillicybin
Loc: Flag
    #6438913 - 01/08/07 05:56 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Blutjager said:
I think cakes were the best thing around....IN THE 1800's :dielaughing:

Cakes are for noobs.  They were used in PF's teks because they're easy for a neophyte to do and actually get results, instead of ending up with a few contammed casings after 2 months of work and going "FUCK THIS."

If you have extra cake(s) from you first grow, I say go for it and try a bulk sustrate with a casing - if nothing else, you'll probably still have some fruits off of your cakes.

Invisibledutchmushroom
mushroom invader
Male User Gallery

Loc: Outer Space
Re: my last cake ---- endless mycelium experiment??? [Re: Sillicybin]
    #6438946 - 01/08/07 06:08 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

i think everyone knows my opinion on cakes from my posts and the thread i started the other day (i hate them more then mel gibson hates the jews) and i dont beleive cakes are for newb's they are more frustraition then they are worth, imho any newb could just as easyley do quarts of wbs/rye and spawn that to coir or hpoo with an end result of bigger and more potent shrooms then a damn pf cake, i think its sad that everybody tells newbs they gotta do the pf tek there first go around, the pf tek is like an old post that the qeustion has already been answerd a million times on, just let it die and never be hurd from again.

ps. sorry for the ranting

peace out

--------------------
"Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand says: don't you see? Gotta make it some how, on the dreams you still believe, Don't give it up, you've got an empty cup, only love can fill, only love can fill" < Grateful Dead!

The bus came by and I got on, and thats when it all began

GROWLIGHT KIT, 250w HPS Digital ballast, + Enhanced Spectrum bulb and Reflector Sale Or Trade!

Offlineozzyozzyozzy
Australian
 User Gallery

Re: my last cake ---- endless mycelium experiment??? [Re: dutchmushroom]
    #6438997 - 01/08/07 06:23 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Isn't it harder to maintain a productive, contam-free environment with a casing tub [with air exchange, humidifiers etc] instead of just individual cakes in a small tub with a plastic bag over it? For newbies, anyway, who have a hard time setting things up like this first go.

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: my last cake ---- endless mycelium experiment??? [Re: ozzyozzyozzy]
    #6439089 - 01/08/07 06:47 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ozzyozzyozzy said:
Isn't it harder to maintain a productive, contam-free environment with a casing tub [with air exchange, humidifiers etc] instead of just individual cakes in a small tub with a plastic bag over it? For newbies, anyway, who have a hard time setting things up like this first go.

No by the time they are fruiting they wont be in a sterile environment anyway whether they are cakes of casings,I'm not gonna talk about this here cause I just did the other day,just read my Sig and message me if you have questions,the ONLY reason anyone should use cakes is if they absolutely can not get their hands on a pressure cooker

InvisibleSillicybin
Loc: Flag
Re: my last cake ---- endless mycelium experiment??? [Re: ozzyozzyozzy]
    #6440780 - 01/09/07 06:46 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ozzyozzyozzy said:

It's not necessarily the tub itself - you can fruit a casing and a cake in pretty similar environments - maybe just a touch less RH with a casing.

Once a cake OR casing is fully colonized, there are very few invading organisms that can compete with the mycelium's own immune system successfully. (One of the few that can is trichoderma (green mold), which has evolved almost exclusively to break down and feed on mushroom mycelium and other fungi.)

The major hurdle comes with introducing new substrate and casing material. If you add bulk substrate, there's a very good chance it will contaminate with bacteria or mold before colonizing if you don't know what you're doing enough to pasteurize correctly and follow decent sanitary procedure. As far as the casing layer itself, same thing - if you don't pasteurize the casing mix correctly, it can be very susceptible to mold contamination. (Prime example:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6439276/an/0/page/0/gonew/1#UNREAD)

Offlineclearview76
Eager Beaver

#6441856 - 01/09/07 01:50 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Alright folks heres my updated plan, tell me if it sounds viable.

I have the one cake left, and I also have 3 aluminum foil pans that are the size used to case 1/2pint cakes. So my plan here is that im going to crumble the cake and mix it in with some coir in one pan (2 pans left). Then I will let this colonize so that I will have roughly 2x the amount of the original cake or 1 pint of substrate. At this point I will break up the newly formed brick 'o' mycelium and case it with 50:50 coir/verm in the remaining pans....

Sounds good?????

Offlinexeallos
Sore wa himitsudesu!
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Woods of a Thousand Y...
    #6441864 - 01/09/07 01:55 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I think by the time it has colonized the coir it won't have the energy left to be divided up and expected to expand once again... myc can do a lot, but when it is done it is really KO'd...

For example, I had crumbled 3 Pint sized cakes that had been through 4 flushes into 8x8 trays with coir... at the same time, I spawned fresh Rye to other trays of same dimensions. Three weeks later, I'm on my second flush with the fresh trays and the old crumble-cake tray has just finished colonizing the surface... if I was actually hinging on it to produce anything I would be sorely disappointed.

You may have better luck with a fresh cake, but this should illustrate the idea that an "endless mycelium" chain is just a pipe dream... pretty nice dream to have, though :laugh:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder