Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinethefunguy
Hobbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: The darkside of the rainb...
straw and/or poop cakes?
    #6417003 - 01/01/07 11:10 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

my question is would it be possible to incorporate straw or poop into a cake and inoculate that bypassing a spawn run? wouldn't it be nice for pans just to crumple up a cake and case it? any input would be nice as i'm just experimenting with the idea and have no clue as to a tek even if it would work

--------------------
ALL post are work of fiction. I am a pathological liar and made this all up.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinethefunguy
Hobbit
Male User Gallery

Re: straw and/or poop cakes? [Re: thefunguy]
    #6417049 - 01/01/07 11:31 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

no love for the hobbit? y'all used to be quick

--------------------

Offlinecubenessence
Stranger
    #6417055 - 01/01/07 11:35 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Sure, you could add some poo to your jars, just don't overdo it. You can always case without spawning, but if you really want the benefits of poo, spawning is your best bet.

--------------------
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
-- Sir Winston Churchill

Offlinethefunguy
Hobbit
Male User Gallery

Re: straw and/or poop cakes? [Re: cubenessence]
    #6417059 - 01/01/07 11:39 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

i was under the impression that pans HAD to be spawned. my idea was to add the poo/straw during the jar preperation to take care of the spawn by colonizing it right away instead of spawn run

--------------------

Invisibleodium33
_____///
 User Gallery

Loc: mycoland
    #6417065 - 01/01/07 11:45 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

you posted at 1 Am and expect an answer in less than 21 minutes. be patient

--------------------
----------

Offlinecubenessence
Stranger
    #6417103 - 01/02/07 12:00 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Never worked with pans so I can't say for sure. If supplementing poo in jars to bypass spawning was that simple everyone would do it. There is a limit to how much poo you can put in a jar, for instance you can't inoculate a jar of just poo. IME you can get away with a little poo in your initial substrate, but not enough to yield the same results of a good spawn. It's less work to spawn anyway, rather than the time it would take to make all those jars.

--------------------
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
-- Sir Winston Churchill

Offlineetam
it's a hobby...
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: East Coast
Re: straw and/or poop cakes? [Re: cubenessence]
    #6417125 - 01/02/07 12:14 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I have 4 colonized PF style half pint jars with 1/4 pint of poo thrown in and 1/4 pint of coir thrown in. I'll be casing them soon, so we'll see how they do.

Offlinethefunguy
Hobbit
Male User Gallery

Re: straw and/or poop cakes? [Re: etam]
    #6417132 - 01/02/07 12:17 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

all colonized no problem? what strain? and how did you adjust the pf recipe to accomodate? according to your post if youre using halfpint jars than you have no brf or ver in your jars just poop and coir. and how will coir help inside a jar i thought that stuff was just for use in the casing layer?

--------------------

Offlinethefunguy
Hobbit
Male User Gallery

#6417646 - 01/02/07 09:20 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

bump

--------------------

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6417778 - 01/02/07 10:47 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

sure, you can make poo cakes, it has been done

there's a few misconceptions though that you need to sort through when deciding if its worth doing. its not going to work quite like you think.

first one is nutritional value... BRF has more nutritional value than poo. seems counter intuitive based on the great results we see from bulk poo grows versus the meager results from PF grows, but bulk is the key word. the stuff going on in your jar versus what goes on in a bulk grow is a little different. poo works well in bulk because there is a lot of it and its colonized quickly, not necessarily because its superior in some way. so if you're attempting to make cakes to grow cubensis, go ahead an experiment with adding poo if you wish, but work your recipe so that the poo replaces some of the vermiculite, not so that it replaces the BRF (you'll want some of each.) you'll be hard pressed to add much without messing up the consistency of the cake, and it will be a balancing act between adding enough to actually see a difference, and actually getting the jar to colonize.

the other thing that is little understood is the role of beneficial bacteria. as a cubensis grower, you get spoiled, they're so easy to grow and not necessarily picky in that regard. some species of mushrooms however will only fruit in the presense of certain beneficial bacteria. this is why the "textbook" correct way of preparing bulk substrates and casing layers is pasteurization - you don't want to kill off the bacteria present but you do want to retard potential mold growth - this is procedure to have success with a wide variety of species... it just so happens you can skimp and still get results out of cubensis. pans are likely more sensitive to this effect, which would explain why you only really get results from bulk spawning them to properly pasteurized substrate. its not the poo (or straw) itself that makes the difference, its the other microorganisms that are also present. so, putting poo in a cake will not have the desired result, because you must sterilize the cake (thus killing said bacteria) if you want to colonize the jar rather than contaminate it. the bacteria won't be present, and while it will colonize just fine, it may not fruit well or at all. its a good thought, but i highly doubt it will work out like you hope.

Offlinethefunguy
Hobbit
Male User Gallery

Re: straw and/or poop cakes? [Re: creamcorn]
    #6417960 - 01/02/07 11:56 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

i was thinking that myself actually. but thanks for a reply that was relevant to my question

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale